use of LIDAR.

AIR.LUCID

Cars
‘04 Prius, ‘98 MB SLK230
Does anyone know when LIDAR will be implemented in DreamDrive Pro?

Attachments

• 10B82071-3673-4269-A55F-2D0829AB710C.jpeg
    10B82071-3673-4269-A55F-2D0829AB710C.jpeg
    67 KB · Views: 122
Last edited:
Check this out if interested in LiDar. A consortium in Germany consisting of Car Manufacturers such as Ford and 3 LiDar manufacturers such as Microvion Innoviz and Luminar are working to design standards for testing Apples to Apples between different Manufacturers. The one below is my favorite Microvision.
Others also have their own Videos you can search.
This test though was at 60 or 80MPH whereas the max the MB LiDar can handle is 40MPH.

I wouldn’t mind an ugly car with sensors all over place. If it was the world first autonomous vehicle it would by definition be cool!

For those of you that believe LiDAR is a meaningful addition of not having it, can you share your rationale? Does anyone believe there are benefits in addition to better obstacle visibility in poor conditions (rain/snow/fog) or the ability to see multiple cars ahead?

Check this out if interested in LiDar. A consortium in Germany consisting of Car Manufacturers such as Ford and 3 LiDar manufacturers such as Microvion Innoviz and Luminar are working to design standards for testing Apples to Apples between different Manufacturers. The one below is my favorite Microvision.
Others also have their own Videos you can search.
This test though was at 60 or 80MPH whereas the max the MB LiDar can handle is 40MPH.

In my area, North Scottsdale, the only streets that one drives at 40 MPH or less are the very local streets. At least 95% of driving in my area is at speeds faster than that. So a Lidar unit that only works at 40 MPH or less would be useless.

For those of you that believe LiDAR is a meaningful addition of not having it, can you share your rationale? Does anyone believe there are benefits in addition to better obstacle visibility in poor conditions (rain/snow/fog) or the ability to see multiple cars ahead?
I don’t think it would be able to see multiple cars ahead unless it has line of sight. If there is a car that is concealed by a truck in front of you, LiDAR won’t “see” the car the same way a camera or human eye wouldn’t.

I don’t think it would be able to see multiple cars ahead unless it has line of sight. If there is a car that is concealed by a truck in front of you, LiDAR won’t “see” the car the same way a camera or human eye wouldn’t.
Way back almost 20 years ago, I had a BMW 645 convertible. I loved that car and miss it dearly, even today. I believe it may have been the first car to use LIDAR and was the key component for its Adaptive Cruise Control. It worked liked a dream in all types of weather. We didn't have snow so I can not comment on that. LIDAR stands for Light Detection and Ranging and is a remote sensing method that uses light in the form of a pulsed laser. As I understand it, it currently is not being used by any of the Lucid cars but will become a center piece of the automated driving and will be fully integregrated with the other sensors (i.e., cameras and RADAR units). If you are not interested in automated driving, if or when Lucid comes out with it, then don't bother getting it as an option. It come standard with the GT and Dream editions. I have heard the Lucid may be using it to collect road information data as it collects it from each car when on the road (assuming that you opt into providing them that information). Not sure if that is true but that is what I heard.

Way back almost 20 years ago, I had a BMW 645 convertible. I loved that car and miss it dearly, even today. I believe it may have been the first car to use LIDAR and was the key component for its Adaptive Cruise Control. It worked liked a dream in all types of weather. We didn't have snow so I can not comment on that. LIDAR stands for Light Detection and Ranging and is a remote sensing method that uses light in the form of a pulsed laser. As I understand it, it currently is not being used by any of the Lucid cars but will become a center piece of the automated driving and will be fully integregrated with the other sensors (i.e., cameras and RADAR units). If you are not interested in automated driving, if or when Lucid comes out with it, then don't bother getting it as an option. It come standard with the GT and Dream editions. I have heard the Lucid may be using it to collect road information data as it collects it from each car when on the road (assuming that you opt into providing them that information). Not sure if that is true but that is what I heard.
Was the 645 a US car? According to Lucid the Air is the first car in the US to use LiDAR.

XPeng claim first LiDAR worldwide

Back