use of LIDAR.

AIR.LUCID

Cars
‘04 Prius, ‘98 MB SLK230
Does anyone know when LIDAR will be implemented in DreamDrive Pro?

The ACC on the Front for me is pretty good on my QX-80 but it has no LiDar. NO-ONE HAS LIDAR in their cars today Except maybe Lucid and I believe its from Cepton and pretty pedestrian and archaic.
My understanding is that card with dreamdrive are ready for it but it not working yet. I don’t believe the vehicle is using LIDAR sensors at this time.

A lot of Tesla accidents from FSD/autopilot are from stationary objects. Most of the time they stop. Every once in awhile they don’t.

A lot of Tesla accidents from FSD/autopilot are from stationary objects. Most of the time they stop. Every once in awhile they don’t.
Because Muskrat refuses to use LiDar which truly is not stress ready unless you want a Bucket on top of your car. Just Google Luminar or AeYe for photos. I am biased but MicroVision is the only LiDar that will be production ready for upto level 4 autonomy at Highway speeds. If you are an enthusiast please go and check their Videos that they just posted a couple weeks ago.

The Cameras cannot handle sunlight and have mistaken the moon for a Yellow light and the evidence of that is on YouTube. Microvision can distinguish between light and dark and also is not affected by Sunlight or other LiDar unit interference.

My understanding is that card with dreamdrive are ready for it but it not working yet. I don’t believe the vehicle is using LIDAR sensors at this time.
There is no true production ready LiDar today. Perhaps it is a place holder when CEPTON can make a small enough unit that fits somewhere on the front AND it will be max Level-2 which is a better version of ACC with Cameras and Sensors now. THAT is what Tesla calls self driving. Cameras can sense lanes very well and should only be used for short range. LiDar can look as far as 250 meters.

Is MicroVision actively testing lvl5 autonomy like Cruise is using NVIDIA's platform? Or better way to phrase this is why Microvision over NVIDIA?

I think Waymo is still the leader in autonomous driving. People forget about them because they decided to skip level 3 and 4 and go straight to five. But I heard that they will be most likely to get it first.

I think Waymo is still the leader in autonomous driving. People forget about them because they decided to skip level 3 and 4 and go straight to five. But I heard that they will be most likely to get it first.
okay then why Waymo over Cruise?

I heard Waymo has quite the computer power at its disposal (courtesy of google). And therefore they are quite far head it terms of simulation data. So people say they have the more robust system for now

I heard Waymo has quite the computer power at its disposal (courtesy of google). And therefore they are quite far head it terms of simulation data. So people say they have the more robust system for now
But Cruise is actually testing their system in SF already. Wouldn't that put them ahead?

Waymo is testing more.
9C02010C-A5A6-44EA-A654-79F30BA60522.jpeg

Edit: and Waymo is also testing in Phoenix. I quick internet search didn’t show anything for Cruise there.

Last edited:
Ths
That is exactly what MicroVisions LiDar can detect at speeds on upto 80 MPH. In light or dark as in a tunnel. Watch their video

Waymo does not have any level 5 vehicles yet. They have Level 4 in parts of Phoenix and San Francisco/San Mateo.

Ye
Waymo does not have any level 5 vehicles yet. They have Level 4 in parts of Phoenix and San Francisco/San Mateo.
People Know about WAYMO BUT Do You want a KFC Bucket on the roof of your Lucid/MB/BMW/Porsche. If anything Innoviz has something maybe. MicroVision definitely has it but is awaiting certification.

Anyone interested in AutoMotive LiDar for Personal Autos needs to visit Microvision website or look for them on YouTube to see the future.

There is no true production ready LiDar today. Perhaps it is a place holder when CEPTON can make a small enough unit that fits somewhere on the front AND it will be max Level-2 which is a better version of ACC with Cameras and Sensors now. THAT is what Tesla calls self driving. Cameras can sense lanes very well and should only be used for short range. LiDar can look as far as 250 meters.
Do you know what Mercedes is using for their Drive Pilot level 3 system? At least based on testing and videos that seems to be the best functioning system with realistic expectations rather than the fantasy Elon is selling.

Do you know what Mercedes is using for their Drive Pilot level 3 system? At least based on testing and videos that seems to be the best functioning system with realistic expectations rather than the fantasy Elon is selling.
I will need to go back and check but CEPTON I believe has one AND theirs only works at 40MPH or under. So not really very useful. Once MicroVision gets the Certification they should truly have a unit that is great at 80MPH or higher.

If you can find the time check them out on YouTube and listen to a couple of Interviews of their CEO Sumit Sharma who used to work for Google on their Google Glass project.

They have a Who’s Who of Automotive Automation on their BOD and just added a NVDA Guy there.
The CEO of a very old and decent German Automotive Parts supplier left his job to be their Top Marketing guy for Europe.

They have a very important part without which the Hololens 2 which Microsoft had sold to the Dept of Defense in their 20 Billion Dollar contract.

These guys so far have been poor at marketing their tech but they have the goods.

The Drive Pilot equipped cars have a Lidar unit in the front grill made by Valeo. At the moment L3 functionality is available on German motorways for speeds below 37mph when there is a lead car, in nice weather and does not have auto lane change functionality. I.e. it’s essentially a traffic jam assist functionality, but one where you can watch videos, write emails etc. as long as you are prepared to take over with a 10sec warning. I assume they will expand the areas of use (supposed to be available for some CA and NV highways end of year), and functionality over time.

My understanding is all Lucid Airs with DreamDrive Pro have a Lidar unit installed already (but it is not yet active until the software is ready)

Last edited:
The Drive Pilot equipped cars have a Lidar unit in the front grill made by Valeo. At the moment L3 functionality is available on German motorways for speeds below 37mph when there is a lead car, in nice weather and does not have auto lane change functionality. I.e. it’s essentially a traffic jam assist functionality, but one where you can watch videos, write emails etc. as long as you are prepared to take over with a 10sec warning. I assume they will expand the areas of use (supposed to be available for some CA and NV highways end of year), and functionality over time.

My understanding is all Lucid Airs with DreamDrive Pro have a Lidar unit installed already (but it is mot yet active until the software is ready)
Yes, It is also my understanding that they have LiDar but it will be very basic. Valeo and CEPTON are they same and may work within the confines of the current legislation and for the same reason you mention MicroVision is concentrating on Germany due to their laws.

Back