use of LIDAR.

AIR.LUCID

Cars
‘04 Prius, ‘98 MB SLK230
Does anyone know when LIDAR will be implemented in DreamDrive Pro?

According to some release notes, it sounds like they have some form of LIDAR enabled with the current DreamDrive, although from the car’s behavior, I think they they are lying or they are not using it completely: The car will not brake when aproaching stationary objects, which is one of the things LIDAR is supposed to help with vs. RADAR.
Release Notes Megathread

My car definitely brakes when approaching stationary objects. Make sure the early collision system is on.

I'm still not seeing any proximity indicators with the surround view. Is there a setting to turn this on? Basically, while the cameras work perfectly, there are no colored indicators when I'm getting close to objects. Not sure if I'm looking in the wrong place or need to enable something.

My car definitely brakes when approaching stationary objects. Make sure the early collision system is on.
Same. It will show an orange depth wave on surround camera with displayed “inches” as I approach and then red with “BRAKE” and will stop the car.

Yes, my early collision system is on, but when approaching stopped traffic at over 35mph, I would rear end the car in front of me, if I wait until the brake warning for it to stop. The system also does not ‘see’ traffic if there is a bend in the road. There are too many edge cases to enumerate here. Let’s just say it works much worst than the Tesla system, which has no LIDAR.

Same. It will show an orange depth wave on surround camera with displayed “inches” as I approach and then red with “BRAKE” and will stop the car.
This is using the ultrasonic sensors. The topic is regarding LIDAR, which is used to maintain safe distance to objects while driving on the road.

Yes, my early collision system is on, but when approaching stopped traffic at over 35mph, I would rear end the car in front of me, if I wait until the brake warning for it to stop. The system also does not ‘see’ traffic if there is a bend in the road. There are too many edge cases to enumerate here. Let’s just say it works much worst than the Tesla system, which has no LIDAR.
I have had the same issue since ACC was turned on and I reported it to Lucid. Only happens when all of the traffic in front is stopped. My two other cars with ACC do not have this issue, and neither has LIDAR.

Last edited:
I have had the same issue since ACC was turned on and I reported it to Lucid. Only happens when all of the traffic in front is stopped. My two other cars with ACC do not have this issue, and neither has LIDAR.
So your car will continue to drive on ACC directly into a stopped car in front of you? Yikes. The ACC on mine works flawlessly so far. Even when I get cut off suddenly within inches, the car smoothly handles the interaction.

So your car will continue to drive on ACC directly into a stopped car in front of you? Yikes. The ACC on mine works flawlessly so far. Even when I get cut off suddenly within inches, the car smoothly handles the interaction.
Here are some Warnings from the Owner's Manual. As you can see, the system effectively does not work (especially see the 6mph limitation):
  • WARNING: Adaptive Cruise Control is designed for your driving comfort and convenience and is not a collision warning or avoidance system. It is your responsibility to stay alert, drive safely, and be in control of the vehicle at all times. Never depend on Adaptive Cruise Control to adequately slow down the vehicle. Watch the road in front of you and be prepared to take corrective action at all times. Failure to do so can result in serious injury or death.
  • WARNING: Never depend on Adaptive Cruise Control to brake for pedestrians, animals, or other objects. Always watch the road and be prepared to take corrective action. Failure to do so can result in serious injury or death.
  • WARNING: Do not use Adaptive Cruise Control on city streets or on roads where traffic conditions are constantly changing.
  • WARNING: Adaptive Cruise Control may not detect or brake for
    narrow vehicles such as bicycles or motorcycles.
  • WARNING: Adaptive Cruise Control may not detect stationary or slow moving vehicles below 6 mph (10 km/h).
  • WARNING: Do not use Adaptive Cruise Control on winding roads with sharp curves, on icy or slippery road surfaces, or when weather conditions (e.g., heavy rain, snow, or fog) make it inappropriate to drive at a consistent speed. Adaptive Cruise Control does not adapt driving speed based on road and driving conditions.
  • WARNING: Turn Adaptive Cruise Control off temporarily when driving in areas where you must reduce speed (e.g., turn lanes, entering and exiting highways, or construction zones). This prevents the vehicle from accelerating to the stored speed in such situations.
[ADAS pg 98]​

Here are some Warnings from the Owner's Manual. As you can see, the system effectively does not work (especially see the 6mph limitation):
  • WARNING: Adaptive Cruise Control is designed for your driving comfort and convenience and is not a collision warning or avoidance system. It is your responsibility to stay alert, drive safely, and be in control of the vehicle at all times. Never depend on Adaptive Cruise Control to adequately slow down the vehicle. Watch the road in front of you and be prepared to take corrective action at all times. Failure to do so can result in serious injury or death.
  • WARNING: Never depend on Adaptive Cruise Control to brake for pedestrians, animals, or other objects. Always watch the road and be prepared to take corrective action. Failure to do so can result in serious injury or death.
  • WARNING: Do not use Adaptive Cruise Control on city streets or on roads where traffic conditions are constantly changing.
  • WARNING: Adaptive Cruise Control may not detect or brake for
    narrow vehicles such as bicycles or motorcycles.
  • WARNING: Adaptive Cruise Control may not detect stationary or slow moving vehicles below 6 mph (10 km/h).
  • WARNING: Do not use Adaptive Cruise Control on winding roads with sharp curves, on icy or slippery road surfaces, or when weather conditions (e.g., heavy rain, snow, or fog) make it inappropriate to drive at a consistent speed. Adaptive Cruise Control does not adapt driving speed based on road and driving conditions.
  • WARNING: Turn Adaptive Cruise Control off temporarily when driving in areas where you must reduce speed (e.g., turn lanes, entering and exiting highways, or construction zones). This prevents the vehicle from accelerating to the stored speed in such situations.
[ADAS pg 98]​

We have three other vehicles whose ACC has never given me pause that it was not in control. I am sure that those manufactures also have a list of warnings but their systems just work better and have been around for years.

I have little faith in the current Lucid software group to ever get level 3 self driving to work.

The issue I have had is when ALL of the cars in front of me are stopped and no traffic around me. My guess is that the DE systems have trouble getting a motion reference from the stationary cars in front.

I have not tried to repeat this problem with 1.2.1 but will. I HAVE verified that the three other vehicles we have with ACC do not have this fault.

The issue I have had is when ALL of the cars in front of me are stopped and no traffic around me. My guess is that the DE systems have trouble getting a motion reference from the stationary cars in front.

I have not tried to repeat this problem with 1.2.1 but will. I HAVE verified that the three other vehicles we have with ACC do not have this fault.
FWIW, my Model S would NOT detect cars if they had not seen them moving and they were stationary (e.g. cresting a hill into stopped traffic). It needed the objects to be moving or have been recently moving. I believe these systems work on an object's change of position and not necessarily the object itself. I would have never trusted my Tesla to bring me from higher speeds to a stop behind objects that were stationary. My current experience with the Lucid is that the ACC works as good or better than the Model S. Way less over-braking when someone cuts you off, etc. However, I never expected it to bring me from speed to a stop behind stationary objects that it hadn't seen moving.

EDIT: I would however expect the Lucid to take me to a stop from speed if traffic suddenly braked/stopped in front of me. Haven't had the situation happen yet tho.

Last edited:
FWIW, my Model S would NOT detect cars if they had not seen them moving and they were stationary (e.g. cresting a hill into stopped traffic). It needed the objects to be moving or have been recently moving. I believe these systems work on an object's change of position and not necessarily the object itself. I would have never trusted my Tesla to bring me from higher speeds to a stop behind objects that were stationary. My current experience with the Lucid is that the ACC works as good or better than the Model S. Way less over-braking when someone cuts you off, etc. However, I never expected it to bring me from speed to a stop behind stationary objects that it hadn't se
My only ACC experience is with Ford and Mercedes.

I have bitched and complained about the ACC and almost all of the software in my car, BUT, I truly hope that Lucid's software group gets their act together and produces world class systems! The hardware in the car is great, just needs great software.

I have bitched and complained about the ACC and almost all of the software in my car, BUT, I truly hope that Lucid's software group gets their act together and produces world class systems! The hardware in the car is great, just needs great software.
Completely agree. Lidar should (eventually) make the Lucid's performance and safety better than any other car. Unfortunately, we are not there yet which is disappointing.

While my ACC did not auto-brake for a car stopped in front of me it did warn me, got the red light on the dash and the camera view automatically came up on the screen so I could see distance to the car. It may well have auto-braked (my Mercedes did this well, my wife’s Subaru with EyeSight does it way over aggressively) but I intervened first. I have had the Lucid successfully auto-brake for rear cross-traffic, but it did miss one front cross traffic alert, I think due to a large SUV that was illegally parked too close to an intersection which blocked my view of incoming left cross-traffic.

While my ACC did not auto-brake for a car stopped in front of me it did warn me, got the red light on the dash and the camera view automatically came up on the screen so I could see distance to the car. It may well have auto-braked (my Mercedes did this well, my wife’s Subaru with EyeSight does it way over aggressively) but I intervened first. I have had the Lucid successfully auto-brake for rear cross-traffic, but it did miss one front cross traffic alert, I think due to a large SUV that was illegally parked too close to an intersection which blocked my view of incoming left cross-traffic.
My ACC on my BMW PHEV has been totally reliable even without lidar. It may not be a "safety feature" but it becomes a safety anti-feature once one has it and starts to rely on it.

They need to call MicroVision and talk to THEM About REAL LiDar. Everything else is still Pedestrian. MVIS will have one ready byQ-3. They just speed tested it at Highways speeds of 80MPH. They have some nice Videos on their Website. I was about to post a new discussion and I found this.

Back