US EV Registrations - 41% in CA

LCIDdreams

Cars
Lucid Air Pure…eventually
I thought this was interesting. Total EV registrations.

I knew CA would be at the top but was surprised by how much- 41% of all EVs in the US are in CA. CA is also well ahead on a per capita basis : 1.074 for every 100 people, with WA 2nd at 0.630 per 100 people. Ona per capita basis CA has more than 6 times more EVs than NY.

Attachments

• 58DDB921-45C8-4E26-9765-AFF6FB103D77.jpeg
    58DDB921-45C8-4E26-9765-AFF6FB103D77.jpeg
    534.2 KB · Views: 132
Interesting info. Thanks for posting.
Is the number of registrations cumulative or for last year?

I knew CA would be at the top but was surprised by how much- 41% of all EVs in the US are in CA. CA is also well ahead on a per capita basis : 1.074 for every 100 people, with WA 2nd at 0.630 per 100 people. Ona per capita basis CA has more than 6 times more EVs than NY.
And this is your answer as to why companies like Lucid appear to “ignore the Midwest.” There’s just so much more built-in demand in places like CA.

Now, is it a chicken and egg thing, where people in other places are waiting for more EV companies to have local showrooms and service centers? Or is it that Californians are much more likely to have a friend with an EV, thus making it easier to dispel fear of the unknown? If Tesla, Rivian, and Lucid build it, will they come? Who knows?

But it basically comes down to money. It’s quite an investment to open up shop in a new place.

Frankly, if I were Lucid, I’d do what fast food chains do: I’d copy MacDonald’s (Tesla) when it comes to locations for the time being. Until I had more data on my own customer base. Which is what it seems they are doing for now.

Imo, Texas is underwhelming with EVs, that may change soon as Lucid, Ford F-150 Lightning and Rivian start popping up on the road.

It should change with Tesla’s new factory down there, too. Texas should be a hot spot for EVs soon. At least in the major cities.

The Cybertruck announcement did convert many traditional F-150 drivers who wouldn’t even bother with EV. Ford had a wake up call to make Lighting fast to defend against Tesla.

I saw a CyberTruck briefly from freeway passing thru Tesla Gigafactory. If they do make it into production, I believe Texas will be close in to California in EVs per capita.

When the F150 Lightning is shipping in quantity, I bet that Texas will start gaining on California! ;)

The Cybertruck announcement did convert many traditional F-150 drivers who wouldn’t even bother with EV. Ford had a wake up call to make Lighting fast to defend against Tesla.

I saw a CyberTruck briefly from freeway passing thru Tesla Gigafactory. If they do make it into production, I believe Texas will be close in to California in EVs per capita.
Yeah, I didn't see this before my comment about Texas, but agree!

Yes good point. As of this data (September 2021) the Rivian and F150 Lightning have become available and will be more EV trucks in 2023. 26% of light vehicle sales in TX are pickups.

I live in Washington State. We often compare ourselves to California, even though we have a far smaller population. Good or bad, CA provides a more generous incentive for buying an EV. I believe there is a CA state incentive to purchase an EV. And I know that certain EVs can use carpool lanes even if SOV in CA. Washington State has a pretty anemic EV support program. A small break in sales tax, but only for cars costing less than $45,000 and only for the first $20,000 of purchase price.

The point no one is talking about is the fact that our electric grid cannot support all these new EVs. CA is only 1% penetration and they are already warning not to charge during peak times as we will likely have brownouts. The other states are only a fraction of that. What happens when penetration goes up 10x to only 10%? More gas and coal plants are needed to supply all this power. Otherwise we need to go more nuclear which the environmentalists don't like either.

The point no one is talking about is the fact that our electric grid cannot support all these new EVs. CA is only 1% penetration and they are already warning not to charge during peak times as we will likely have brownouts. The other states are only a fraction of that. What happens when penetration goes up 10x to only 10%? More gas and coal plants are needed to supply all this power. Otherwise we need to go more nuclear which the environmentalists don't like either.
That's the crazy part isn't it? Isn't nuclear power leaps and bounds more environmentally friendly than coal?

That's the crazy part isn't it? Isn't nuclear power leaps and bounds more environmentally friendly than coal?
Indeed. The problem is the risk of catastrophe, which, to be clear, is low. But it’s not like we’ve never seen nuclear accidents.

Bill Gates is convinced it’s a question of age. Most nuclear plants were designed in the 70s, and they’re still running on tech that old.

(Not that I want Windows in charge of keeping us all safe from a meltdown.)

All kidding aside, it’s probably worth considering nuclear as part of the long-term clean energy strategy. Just very little political will for it here in the States.

Besides the big 2, hasn't France been using almost all nuclear without incident for decades?

I have a question....my idea of a F150 owner is the proverbial "Good ol' boy!" The Cybertruck looks like the furthest thing from that. I cannot believe F150 owners would ever be caught dead in a cybertruck. Would they?

(IMHO, I think it is hideous!)

I have a question....my idea of a F150 owner is the proverbial "Good ol' boy!" The Cybertruck looks like the furthest thing from that. I cannot believe F150 owners would ever be caught dead in a cybertruck. Would they?

The vast majority of F150 owners here in Texas that I know live in suburban neighborhoods and only use their trucks to go to the grocery store or to Home Depot occasionally for a small home project or possibly pull a fishing boat on weekends. Many are coat and tie wearers 5 days a week.

The stereotypical “good ole boys” that like to roll coal are a minority though they appear to be a huge group because they are more vocal.

99% of the F150 owners I know would be just fine going with a EV truck.

Besides the big 2, hasn't France been using almost all nuclear without incident for decades?
Yes. And nuclear, now, is insanely safe because technology has, you know, progressed.

But building a new plant is ~impossible.

That said, Fukushima happened, and people are more afraid of a theoretical disaster than the actual one that is slowly (read: quickly on the grand scheme of things) killing us and our planet.

Yes. And nuclear, now, is insanely safe because technology has, you know, progressed.

But building a new plant is ~impossible.

That said, Fukushima happened, and people are more afraid of a theoretical disaster than the actual one that is slowly (read: quickly on the grand scheme of things) killing us and our planet.
Oh geez forgot about Fukushima, was referring to 3 mile and Chernobyl

I think a lot of interest in the Cybertruck is due to its 500 mile range and relatively low price. Although both of these promises may disappear prior to its official release, many can’t afford a Grand Touring but will risk the $100 deposit. Remember the three most desired features in EVs: range, range, range.

Back