Unintended consequences of software updates

Don't be in too big a hurry. 2.0.47 is a mess.

I took the car to drive to an appointment this afternoon. The Pilot Screen and the right side of the Glass Cockpit remained black until I was more than a mile down the road. About two hours later we headed out to pick up friends for dinner. The car would not switch from "Smooth" mode to any other drive mode. I would press the "Swift" or "Sprint" mode, and the button would momentarily activate, but the drive mode display in the driver binnacle did not change. Then, within a few seconds, the button on the Pilot Screen reverted to "Smooth". I attempted the left-turn-signal reset when we arrived at the friends' house, but it did not correct things. Only after sitting in the restaurant for over an hour did things reset.

Over the past few days of ever changing malfunctions (drive mode, screen displays, car not going into forward gear, headlights not coming on, turn signal sound dropping out), it seems our car has returned to the bleak software days before the 2.0 rollout began. Once again, I find getting into the car means a total crap shoot in terms of what will and won't be working. After 13 months of this, it's getting really, really tiring.
I agree 2.047 seems to be a step back. I’ve had to reset my car daily. Now have a new glitch where passenger side mirror tilts down when I put car into drive and can not be adjusted - the option is grayed out on pilot panel. As soon as I put car into park it works again.Also having issues with back up camera not working on start up 50% of the time. Looking forward to future update ironing some of these issues out.

Also having issues with back up camera not working on start up 50% of the time.

I had forgotten to put that on my list. It's not happening as often with us, but it is happening now.

Software engineers don't want you to know this simple trick to prevent bugs:
PXL_20230101_162104986.jpg

haven't had a single issue since i installed the tow loop

Last edited:
Aside from continuing audio disconnects while listening either in Tidal or BT with Sirius, my doors that most of the time unlock upon approaching the car and lock after walking away lately have not opened even using the fob or IPhone. So I wait a moment or two and the handles present themselves. The audio signal sometimes does not connect at all for directional changes, warning tones, or music audio. Sure, resetting/repowering will cure the problems, but it is not convenient unless you want to drive to your next destination without any audio. I reported these to my SM and he forwarded the malfunctions to the engineers. I have to believe that the sw engineers have a very full plate of items to address and correct so will be patient.

The HVAC window fogging problem is insidious and potentially dangerous as fogging has occurred when it is relatively warm and dry outside, a problem that has been experienced and documented on the forum recently along with other quirky HVAC problems that leave the car uncomfortably cool even at 72-74 degree settings front and back in the winter. Also, must we have to endure fan speeds of more than 4, and too frequently 10, to achieve the desired cabin temperature? I would like the HVAC auto setting to function without constant adjustment into and out of auto/sync.

All that said, the saving grace is a truly amazing driving experience and the confidence that Lucid will correct the various problems that many of us have endured.

Is there any way for the owner to roll back to an earlier software version while waiting for the 2.0.47 mess to be patched? (Around 2.0.36 seemed to be the sweet spot in which everything about our car seemed to be working fine.) I'm getting a bit reluctant to keep putting the car on the road with problems such as not being able to shift into drive or turn on headlights.

Aside from continuing audio disconnects while listening either in Tidal or BT with Sirius, my doors that most of the time unlock upon approaching the car and lock after walking away lately have not opened even using the fob or IPhone. So I wait a moment or two and the handles present themselves. The audio signal sometimes does not connect at all for directional changes, warning tones, or music audio. Sure, resetting/repowering will cure the problems, but it is not convenient unless you want to drive to your next destination without any audio. I reported these to my SM and he forwarded the malfunctions to the engineers. I have to believe that the sw engineers have a very full plate of items to address and correct so will be patient.

The HVAC window fogging problem is insidious and potentially dangerous as fogging has occurred when it is relatively warm and dry outside, a problem that has been experienced and documented on the forum recently along with other quirky HVAC problems that leave the car uncomfortably cool even at 72-74 degree settings front and back in the winter. Also, must we have to endure fan speeds of more than 4, and too frequently 10, to achieve the desired cabin temperature? I would like the HVAC auto setting to function without constant adjustment into and out of auto/sync.

All that said, the saving grace is a truly amazing driving experience and the confidence that Lucid will correct the various problems that many of us have endured.
I just got my car back after it spent another week in Millbrae. Upon being handed the fob, the first thing I noticed is that the handles didn’t present, either with a fob (with new battery) or mobile key (which never works). The handles not presenting has been a pretty constant issue, but what is new is that the car won’t power off and self lock when walking away, even after 10 minutes, with fobs in a faraday box and phone shut off.

A valet card reset made it self lock once while walking away, but it went back to not powering down the very next time. I can manually lock it with the phone or mobile key, but it usually won’t do it by itself.

With all of the issues I’m reading, I’m hoping that it’s just 2.0.47. Seems like a reasonable explanation, since a week in the shop didn’t fix It. I’m also getting many of the other gremlins noted here, such as no music and dead Alexa.

Presuming his car got towed, so he hasn't had to deal with any software issues...because he has no car!
...it was raining and I was in the front at the 4-way red light in rush hour...on my belly looking for the cover flap for the tow loop...when the tow truck appeared. I finally managed to thread the bolt, when I went to put the car in neutral so he could winch it on the flatbed the car lit up clean. I paid the tow guy, thanked the cop, and I drove it home. I decided to leave the tow loop in. Haven't had a problem since.

i'm just sayin' the tow loop is a data point

...it was raining and I was in the front at the 4-way red light in rush hour...on my belly looking for the cover flap for the tow loop...when the tow truck appeared. I finally managed to thread the bolt, when I went to put the car in neutral so he could winch it on the flatbed the car lit up clean. I paid the tow guy, thanked the cop, and I drove it home. I decided to leave the tow loop in. Haven't had a problem since.

i'm just sayin' the tow loop is a data point

While your predicament was far more serious, this is similar to what happened to me when I blocked the driveway entrance to a very busy restaurant because I could not get the car back in forward gear after dropping off a passenger on New Year's evening. Cars were lining up behind me, and horns were starting to get tapped before the car spontaneously decided to move again.

Then there was the incident some months ago when I was unloading passengers at a busy airport departure curb, and I could not get the car doors to let me back in the car for several minutes while onlookers watched.

I can't imagine that these events don't become the kernel of propagating another multiplication of stories making the rounds about "that Lucid" that broke down in this place or that.

That's why I said that they should have built test cars, any brand, with the screens and test computers then driven the software.
They did build test cars. Again: testing is wholly different from unleashing a world of users who do not think anything like you do to bang on your software.

I can’t think of an example of literally any company who ever got v1 right, auto or otherwise.

The metric to grade them on is how quickly they respond and improve, and so far that’s looking good.

While your predicament was far more serious, this is similar to what happened to me when I blocked the driveway entrance to a very busy restaurant because I could not get the car back in forward gear after dropping off a passenger on New Year's evening. Cars were lining up behind me, and horns were starting to get tapped before the car spontaneously decided to move again.

Then there was the incident some months ago when I was unloading passengers at a busy airport departure curb, and I could not get the car doors to let me back in the car for several minutes while onlookers watched.

I can't imagine that these events don't become the kernel of propagating another multiplication of stories making the rounds about "that Lucid" that broke down in this place or that.
That really sucks. I really wonder what it is about your car that makes it hit basically every single bug, every single time.

I haven’t had almost any of these issues.

That really sucks. I really wonder what it is about your car that makes it hit basically every single bug, every single time.

I've wondered this, too. My car (No. 154) was a bit earlier in production than yours. Could Lucid have switched chip supplier between the two?

I don't hit quite every bug that others have reported, but I've also had a few that, at least based on forum posts, very seldom hit other cars, such as white noise blasts and bass dropouts (although those ceased with the transition to UX 2.0).

The metric to grade them on is how quickly they respond and improve, and so far that’s looking good.

I thought so, too, until 2.0.47 came along. But now we're back to the pre-UX 2.0 days of wondering what's going to go off the rails on this trip. Do you have any idea why this latest update is so extraordinarily plagued by bugs, particularly those serious enough to make driving unsafe (no headlights) or impossible (won't engage forward gear)?

The Favored Ones: no issues
The Faithful Ones: software inconveniences / fit n' finish
The Fracked Ones: clown car

I'm in catagory III

Reactions: Bel
I know I've been a broken record on this subject, but this is a perfect (as in perfectly depressing) telling of why I think automakers are WAY ahead of themselves in relying on software to lock, unlock, and activate cars:

Unfortunately for Lucid, this is not a report from an annoyed forum member. It's a report from a respected and widely-followed automotive testing and review outfit. And, as someone who lives in an area of sketchy cell phone service, it leaves me wondering if some of the software problems with my car have to do with its over-reliance on cell phone signals to do so much of its thing.

It's at least worth noting that, as noted in this article, the problem is not unique to Lucid. But this makes the reliance on cell phone signals to do so much even more problematic for the motoring public.

Last edited:
Could Lucid have switched chip supplier between the two?
I’m certain that, at that time, every other car had different chips. They were sourcing them from wherever they could due to the supply chain constraints.

And, as someone who lives in an area of sketchy cell phone service, it leaves me wondering if some of the software problems with my car have to do with its over-reliance on cell phone signals to do so much of its thing.
There is a caveat in that article which is very important: they never set up their mobile key. They were trying to use the app to unlock it, which requires a data connection.

The fob should have worked when placed on the B pillar even if the battery was dead, so I’m not sure why that failed; perhaps that was a bum fob.

But, and this is my point: if they had had mobile key set up it would have worked. It works over Bluetooth, and does not need a data connection at all, either from the car or the phone. As a result, the “typical” user (who has mobile key set up) would never have this issue.

That’s not an excuse, of course - I just think it’s a really important clarification.

Recently, I have had two instances of the car not recognizing me as the driver and instead using my wife’s profile. The car will not shift into drive or reverse and when I change to my profile it still won’t shift. After a reset it will see my profile and shift. Interestingly, my wife does not have a fob, card or mobile app anywhere near the car.

The Favored Ones: no issues
The Faithful Ones: software inconveniences / fit n' finish
The Fracked Ones: clown car

I'm in category III
Update: car back from Mechanicsville, VA service center. Replaced 12v control module.

I'm in category I now. Could not be happier. 100% confident. I love my Lucid !

Recently, I have had two instances of the car not recognizing me as the driver and instead using my wife’s profile. The car will not shift into drive or reverse and when I change to my profile it still won’t shift. After a reset it will see my profile and shift. Interestingly, my wife does not have a fob, card or mobile app anywhere near the car.
Hi, @Stevepatek.

Thank you for sharing. I just dropped you a DM for more info.

Marqie

Back