Unintended consequences of software updates

EVCar

Verified Owner
Supporting Member
Cars
GT
Probably a very dumb question to ask, but here it is: when building a new pc, my understanding is that it’s better, and cleaner, to grab the latest version off MS site vs. using Windows version 1 and then applying the updates, to avoid corrupted files, registry problems, etc. Assuming that the above premise is correct, should there be any concerns for the many updates that any EVs with OTA capability will likely get over time?

Can't be sure if my assumption's just simply outdated, though. Plus, for all I know, car manufacturers could, at any time, also wipe clean the car’s hard drive and do a fresh install., or other preventive measures are already in place.

Be really enlightening and instructive to hear the opinions from the forum’s experts.

Some people try to avoid getting software updates on their devices (PC, phone, ...) because the update may introduce new problems even when they fix others. And sometimes they do. Some people will avoid a "dot zero" release, 1.0, 2.0 ... so that the early bugs in the dot zero will have been fixed by the time the dot one arrives. Same with car software releases, and with the first model year of a car or truck. We often used to call it the "bleeding edge" rather than "leading edge", but now we refer to "early adopters."
By the way, if you read your sales agreement paperwork, you'll see that you must install new software within 30 days (from memory). Not that I suspect that's going to be an issue for any foot-draggers, unless they file a warranty claim where the issue in their claim was addressed by an OTA that they refused.
For me, I immediately install new software, assuming that the new version will fix more issues than they cause, or provide valuable new functionality. The really nice thing about cars with OTA updates is that conceivably the car is never "finished", there's always the potential for something new in that next update. And I assume that each release has been through safety checks, regression tests, alpha and beta testing, and that the methodology for providing safe updates is of professional quality. Until I have strong reason to doubt it, and at this time I don't.

The concept applies to Windows PC's but the Lucid is basically an Android tablet on wheels, where these concepts dont apply nearly as much. Funny thing I've noticed is that if you ever lose cell signal and try to change your song, you'll see an error message straight out of vanilla Android. Down to the font and shape of the popup.

I'm sure that Lucid has some basic "clean up" scripts running every now and then, however little it impacts performance.

I still like to do factory resets occasionally to my devices though, but nowadays that's mostly a mental feel-good game. Not sure if I'll start doing this to the Lucid every few months. I may!

I still like to do factory resets occasionally to my devices though, but nowadays that's mostly a mental feel-good game. Not sure if I'll start doing this to the Lucid every few months. I may!
I'm curious about how to do this. Is the factory reset procedure in the manual?

No

Ive seen a factory reset option in the menu, but not sure how comprehensive of a "reset" it is. It could just be a user profile reset, or a total system level reset.

Ive seen a factory reset option in the menu, but not sure how comprehensive of a "reset" it is. It could just be a user profile reset, or a total system level reset.
I think it resets to first version -- dont try it.

I think it resets to first version -- dont try it.
No, it clears out all your setting, including your profile, but leaves the software at the current version. Your WiFi settings are retained, however.

Reactions: Bel
No, it clears out all your setting, including your profile, but leaves the software at the current version. Your WiFi settings are retained, however.
Thanks. My lucid delivery person said in october it goes back to the software version it had when it left the factory.

We are on version 2.0.47. Two nights ago we had two new issues crop up. I pulled up to the entrance of a busy restaurant to let a passenger out to get us a place in line. When I tried to put the car back into "Drive" it would not go out of "Park". I tried several times while cars were lining up behind us and horns started honking. Just as I was telling the other passengers that we all had to exit the vehicle to do a software reboot, the car suddenly went into "Drive", and I was able to move it.

When we left the restaurant later, as I pulled onto the street I realized that the headlights had not come on, although they were set to "Auto", as they always are. I pulled into a parking lot as quickly as I could. Several attempts to push different light control buttons on the right side of the Glass Cockpit affected nothing. Again, just as I was telling everyone to get out of the car so I could do a reboot, the headlights suddenly turned on.

I haven't driven the car since, as being unable to move the car or turn on its headlights is not something I want to have happen again.

Before I call Customer Service to report this issue, I'd like to know if anyone else has encountered similar issues with this latest update?

We are on version 2.0.47. Two nights ago we had two new issues crop up. I pulled up to the entrance of a busy restaurant to let a passenger out to get us a place in line. When I tried to put the car back into "Drive" it would not go out of "Park". I tried several times while cars were lining up behind us and horns started honking. Just as I was telling the other passengers that we all had to exit the vehicle to do a software reboot, the car suddenly went into "Drive", and I was able to move it.

When we left the restaurant later, as I pulled onto the street I realized that the headlights had not come on, although they were set to "Auto", as they always are. I pulled into a parking lot as quickly as I could. Several attempts to push different light control buttons on the right side of the Glass Cockpit affected nothing. Again, just as I was telling everyone to get out of the car so I could do a reboot, the headlights suddenly turned on.

I haven't driven the car since, as being unable to move the car or turn on its headlights is not something I want to have happen again.

Before I call Customer Service to report this issue, I'd like to know if anyone else has encountered similar issues with this latest update?
I have not encountered this, but one time I saw my fog lights were on, even though they should not have been in those conditions. I pulled on the left stalk as if to activate Hi-beams, and the lights then turned off altogether. Then another pull and they came back on without the fogs. Possible workaround if you get in a weird lighting situation again.

I definitely think there are some gremlins in 2.0.47 that need to be sorted.

I don’t know if it is 2.0.47 related, but my car no longer self locks, the trunk doesn’t latch every time and apparently my brake light doesn’t work. My car is in Millbrae for these and other issues.

Haven’t seen the shift issues, but others have reported, and even videoed, the lights not coming on. They were able to get them on but using the high beam control on the stalk, either pulling towards you or pressing away and they got them on. I believe it was @windscar911 but they can correct me if I’m wrong 😂

I don’t know if it is 2.0.47 related, but my car no longer self locks, the trunk doesn’t latch every time and apparently my brake light doesn’t work. My car is in Millbrae for these and other issues.
Sometimes these problems are not related to software updates, but just hardware failures. I had my left front turn indicator not working this summer. It was heat related and could be made to work by tapping on it. Others had this problem too, which was rectified by fixing a connector. In my case they replaced the light assembly.

Sometimes these problems are not related to software updates, but just hardware failures. I had my left front turn indicator not working this summer. It was heat related and could be made to work by tapping on it. Others had this problem too, which was rectified by fixing a connector. In my case they replaced the light assembly.
Good thing to remember. Sometimes a software update will expose a hardware issue you didn't know about, too. I remember a few folks had hardware replaced after one update started throwing up error messages that previous updates hadn't. Turned out the older software just was ignoring the issue instead of throwing the error. Stuff like this is bound to surface every now and then.

...similar issues with this latest update?
I used to shift gears fine until I created a second profile. The main owner profile wouldn't shift out of "Park" gear until I deleted the secondary profile.

Yes, it's on printed page #120 and PDF page number 133 of 241

What is a "DE" number? I see it on your signature

What is a "DE" number? I see it on your signature
Refers to the Dream Edition. There were only 520 made, and everyone who got one knows which production number they were.

Back