Unintended consequences of software updates

As I was getting ready to drive a second time today after the car was parked outside in the Sun(issue may not be related) I received the message that Highway Lane departure or some such thing was not working and had been turned off. The right upper console and the main console remained completely blank longer than usual.
Then the message went away and the consoles started working. I checked all my setting and nothing had been changed. I am on 2.0.47.

Had not noticed anything out of the ordinary lately.

We are on version 2.0.47. Two nights ago we had two new issues crop up. I pulled up to the entrance of a busy restaurant to let a passenger out to get us a place in line. When I tried to put the car back into "Drive" it would not go out of "Park". I tried several times while cars were lining up behind us and horns started honking. Just as I was telling the other passengers that we all had to exit the vehicle to do a software reboot, the car suddenly went into "Drive", and I was able to move it.

When we left the restaurant later, as I pulled onto the street I realized that the headlights had not come on, although they were set to "Auto", as they always are. I pulled into a parking lot as quickly as I could. Several attempts to push different light control buttons on the right side of the Glass Cockpit affected nothing. Again, just as I was telling everyone to get out of the car so I could do a reboot, the headlights suddenly turned on.

I haven't driven the car since, as being unable to move the car or turn on its headlights is not something I want to have happen again.

Before I call Customer Service to report this issue, I'd like to know if anyone else has encountered similar issues with this latest update?
I couldn't get my car out of park this evening, either into D or R. When I moved the stalk for reverse, the cameras came on as if I was in reverse. But the indicator stayed on P and the car wouldn't move. A reset solved the problem. However, on the way home I noticed I didn't have any sound with the turn signals.

I couldn't get my car out of park this evening, either into D or R. When I moved the stalk for reverse, the cameras came on as if I was in reverse. But the indicator stayed on P and the car wouldn't move. A reset solved the problem. However, on the way home I noticed I didn't have any sound with the turn signals.

I got back in the car for the first time last evening. The backup camera display was not functioning. The overhead view was displaying, but it did not clear off the screen even as my speed topped 40 mph. I had to "X" it out.

The latest software update seems to have released a swarm of bugs into a system that had been operating pretty well of late.

Once I get a stable update, I think I'm going to adopt the policy I've used for years with Microsoft and Apple updates: don't update if you're having smooth sailing with the current software, as the update is likely to tip the boat over.

I got back in the car for the first time last evening. The backup camera display was not functioning. The overhead view was displaying, but it did not clear off the screen even as my speed topped 40 mph. I had to "X" it out.

The latest software update seems to have released a swarm of bugs into a system that had been operating pretty well of late.

Once I get a stable update, I think I'm going to adopt the policy I've used for years with Microsoft and Apple updates: don't update if you're having smooth sailing with the current software, as the update is likely to tip the boat over.
Sorry it's giving you so many problems. My turn signal sound came back on the next reset. I've only had a few problems with 2.0.47.

My car was delivered with 2.0.47 and in my first week I have had issues with the sound. Yesterday morning I was hearing crackling noises from the right speakers and it fixed itself when I started the car the next time. Last evening all the sounds stopped working (music, turn signal sound) and it fixed itself when I cam back to the car after 30 minutes (I did not reset). Same issue happened again this morning and I tried the bobby rest but it did not work. Came back home and did the turn signal reset and it started working again. This was my first reset after taking delivery last Thursday.

My car was delivered with 2.0.47 and in my first week I have had issues with the sound. Yesterday morning I was hearing crackling noises from the right speakers and it fixed itself when I started the car the next time. Last evening all the sounds stopped working (music, turn signal sound) and it fixed itself when I cam back to the car after 30 minutes (I did not reset). Same issue happened again this morning and I tried the bobby rest but it did not work. Came back home and did the turn signal reset and it started working again. This was my first reset after taking delivery last Thursday.
When we lock the car and walk away and come back after 20 to 30 minutes I believe that the car basically does a software reset.

When we lock the car and walk away and come back after 20 to 30 minutes I believe that the car basically does a software reset.
The first time I was only away for 5 minutes at max and that resolved the crackling issue, in this case the sound was working. Last evening when I lost all audio I was definitely away for over an hour after locking it.

Just be careful not to fall more than one or two updates behind.

I couldn't get the car out of Park again this morning. A reset solved it, but when I got home and pulled into the garage, the cameras never came on, even when the nose of the car was close to a wall.

I was being a bit tongue-in-cheek with my comment. However, after almost a year of waiting for serious software problems to be cleared up and then experiencing the relief of real improvement as UX 2.0 started rolling out, the return of these constant gremlins has left me a bit cynical.

I try to remember that our 2015 Tesla -- built three years after the model entered the market -- still had a spate software problems. However, I assumed that the software of a car entering the market 10 years later would have more nailed-down software.

Perhaps I just don't understand how and the rate at which the field of software engineering advances.

I was being a bit tongue-in-cheek with my comment. However, after almost a year of waiting for serious software problems to be cleared up and then experiencing the relief of real improvement as UX 2.0 started rolling out, the return of these constant gremlins has left me a bit cynical.

I try to remember that our 2015 Tesla -- built three years after the model entered the market -- still had a spate software problems. However, I assumed that the software of a car entering the market 10 years later would have more nailed-down software.

Perhaps I just don't understand how and the rate at which the field of software engineering advances.
The issue is that Lucid, like any new company, is essentially starting from scratch.

Unlike, for example, motors which can be taken apart and reverse engineered and improved upon, that is generally not a thing with software. You can absolutely reverse engineer software (it’s what I’ve done for much of my life) but it’s mostly useful for finding bugs to then exploit (typically for security), rather than unique “algorithms” or “secret sauce.”

There isn’t much secret sauce in software, but because nobody open sources theirs you generally have to build it from scratch.

That’s why even though they entered a decade later, it’s going to take time to battle out the gremlins as they make it more robust.

I’m very optimistic given the rate with which it’s improved, but it is by no means perfect yet.

The *hardware* is much easier (which is not to imply it’s easy) to get right, by comparison.

I am 2-3 behind now (2.0.33) and Lucid is evaluating when and how to push me updates. It appears they are on hold trying not to mess things up with the updates. perhaps will push one update to fix all ...

The issue is that Lucid, like any new company, is essentially starting from scratch.

Unlike, for example, motors which can be taken apart and reverse engineered and improved upon, that is generally not a thing with software. You can absolutely reverse engineer software (it’s what I’ve done for much of my life) but it’s mostly useful for finding bugs to then exploit (typically for security), rather than unique “algorithms” or “secret sauce.”

There isn’t much secret sauce in software, but because nobody open sources theirs you generally have to build it from scratch.

That’s why even though they entered a decade later, it’s going to take time to battle out the gremlins as they make it more robust.

I’m very optimistic given the rate with which it’s improved, but it is by no means perfect yet.

The *hardware* is much easier (which is not to imply it’s easy) to get right, by comparison.
I think that Lucid waited way too long to start the software, hardware is more fun to work on. We are over a year from first delivery, and we still do not have production quality software. Yes, it takes time that's why you start software early enough and build test "mules" and go drive the hell out of them.

I think that Lucid waited way too long to start the software, hardware is more fun to work on. We are over a year from first delivery, and we still do not have production quality software. Yes, it takes time that's why you start software early enough and build test "mules" and go drive the hell out of them.
No plan survives first contact with the enemy.

I won’t argue Lucid didn’t totally underestimate the software challenge. But no amount of testing would have saved them at the end of the day. There’s just no substitute for real users pounding on your software.

The question for me is always, “What do they do about it now?” And they do seem to get there’s a problem. Improvements came fast and furious toward the end of the year. Let’s see if they can keep up the pace post holidays.

No plan survives first contact with the enemy.

I won’t argue Lucid didn’t totally underestimate the software challenge. But no amount of testing would have saved them at the end of the day. There’s just no substitute for real users pounding on your software.

The question for me is always, “What do they do about it now?” And they do seem to get there’s a problem. Improvements came fast and furious toward the end of the year. Let’s see if they can keep up the pace post holidays.
That's why I said that they should have built test cars, any brand, with the screens and test computers then driven the software.

I am 2-3 behind now (2.0.33) and Lucid is evaluating when and how to push me updates. It appears they are on hold trying not to mess things up with the updates. perhaps will push one update to fix all ...

Don't be in too big a hurry. 2.0.47 is a mess.

I took the car to drive to an appointment this afternoon. The Pilot Screen and the right side of the Glass Cockpit remained black until I was more than a mile down the road. About two hours later we headed out to pick up friends for dinner. The car would not switch from "Smooth" mode to any other drive mode. I would press the "Swift" or "Sprint" mode, and the button would momentarily activate, but the drive mode display in the driver binnacle did not change. Then, within a few seconds, the button on the Pilot Screen reverted to "Smooth". I attempted the left-turn-signal reset when we arrived at the friends' house, but it did not correct things. Only after sitting in the restaurant for over an hour did things reset.

Over the past few days of ever changing malfunctions (drive mode, screen displays, car not going into forward gear, headlights not coming on, turn signal sound dropping out), it seems our car has returned to the bleak software days before the 2.0 rollout began. Once again, I find getting into the car means a total crap shoot in terms of what will and won't be working. After 13 months of this, it's getting really, really tiring.

Back