Turtle of Doom!

Is this an entirely separate issue than the 12v failures, or are they sometimes related?
Separate issue entirely, and even less frequent. That is, sometimes it shows up, but a reboot fixed it the vast majority of the time. I haven’t heard of anyone having it happen twice.

When a reboot doesn’t fix it, it’s been a motor failure.

TLDR; The customer care experience has been pretty good, but not great. I waited 2 hours for a tow and it took another hour to get it loaded, driven the 2 miles to my house and unloaded. Getting an Audi Q5 as a loaner.

My initial call was to customer care (CC) who was very cordial and empathetic to the situation. My exact location was remotely determined by CC. CC recommended that I exit the car, lock it and wait 15 minutes. She offered to stay on the line with me (I declined - I'm sure some customers want to vent). She called back exactly 15 minutes later and sounded truly disappointed that the problem had not been resolved. I was then transferred to roadside assistance (RA).

My initial call with RA was irritating for several reasons: 1) The RA appears to be a third party with little data sharing - had to get my exact location again and was not clear in what they needed. 2) The operator was difficult to understand due to a heavy accent. 3) Kept referring to 'my policy' and asking me questions about which service center it should be towed to 4) I indicated the closest SC was GI in Chicago and the RA operator wanted ME to confirm the address. It's a damn Lucid location! 5) I offered to have the car towed to my home just a few minutes away, but was ignored.

One hour later, no ETA for a tow. I received a call from RA with different operator who was extremely helpful and empathetic. She suggested towing the car to my home (Brilliant! ;) ) and arrange transport separately. She was very concerned about my safety and initially confused me by referring to the car as her/she. Another 30 minutes passes and still no ETA - although the text messages updating me say they are still working on it. I suggest a local towing company I know is the dominate operator in this area. 30 minutes later, the flatbed shows up.

At this point it's been two hours since the failure and initial call to CC while I've been sitting in the car on the shoulder. With all this time on my hands, I refreshed my memory about towing preparation from the manual (which is out of date already - there is no Towing Mode on my screen. I disabled the Tilt alarm instead). I got the recovery eye out of the trunk and attached it to the front of the car. If you've delved into this detail, you'll know that the location for this massive eyelet for winches is off to the side - more on later.

The flatbed shows up and hooks his winch to the recovery eye. I put the car in Neutral, disable the Tilt alarm and exit the car. As the car is being pulled onto the bed, the car goes in Park locking the wheels with the parking brake (I am pretty sure the fob was in the car, but I don't remember). Here is where some fun starts... and the towing company insurance probably doesn't cover. I have to stay in the car and steer and make sure the car does not go back into Park while the winch pulls the car onto the bed (maybe the fob was in my pocket). The winch had trouble and I had to repeatedly engage the brake while the winch cable was sorted out due to the offset location of the recovery eye. After about 15 minutes, the car is secured on the flatbed. We drive the 2 miles to my house.

The driver offers to back the car into the garage - which is great since there is a lot of landscape construction going on around our house.

Plan A - I put the car in Neutral, disable the Tilt alarm and leave the fob in the car and exit the car (while the bed is tilted). While bringing the car down the bed, the winch cable jumps the spool and gets jammed in the gears with the weight of the car keeping the cable very taut (again due to the offset location of the recovery eye). I fetch a crowbar and the tow operator tries his best to unjam the cable to no avail.

Plan B - I'm nervous about leveling the bed as the car is just at the edge of the bed. So we put the car in drive and hope that it could turtle enough up the incline to relieve the cable tightness so that it can be unhooked. Nope. Turtle mode up an incline did not work.

Plan C - Holding my breath, I got in the car and put it in Park. The Tow operator leveled the bed and then pushed the car forward enough to unhook it (after I put it in N). Now, the tow operator tilted the bed with an unsecured car while I am in the driver's seat (in Park now). He got behind the car to keep it from rolling too far (I kid you not). While in N, I feathered the brakes to back the car into the garage.

Failure to garage: 3 hours.

Lucid is now bending over backwards to arrange covered transport to Chicago - could be picked up today or tomorrow. They are also arranging a rental with Enterprise (no Hertz within a 50 mile radius? There's one at our local airport!).

My confidence in the car is quite low now. I really love the car and hope there is a rational explanation for these failures.
That sucks. My experiences with tows (to and from the service center for regular service) has been stellar, but I’m in the Bay Area. Here, the driver has always driven it up on to the flatbed and taken care of everything. That said, it wasn’t in turtle mode.

I hope it gets taken care of promptly. My bet? Your rear motor failed. Seems to happen, if it happens at all, in the first few hundred miles. I’ve never heard of it happening twice, so at least let that boost your confidence if that’s the issue.

Reactions: NPN
I really appreciate you sharing your agony with us. As someone waiting delivery, I took notes for my "What to do in case..." Lucid notes.

I guess a lesson here for those of us far from a service center - tow to your house (or other close 'safe' location) in any way you can (AAA, your auto insurance or Lucid). Separately arrange transport on a covered trailer. I wouldn't want the car on a flatbed for nearly 300 miles.
actually, my car broke down across the street from my house but was totally inoperable. So they put it on a flatbed for about 120 miles to Massachusetts service center. From their they put it in an enclosed trailer when they decided to swap the battery

Separate issue entirely, and even less frequent. That is, sometimes it shows up, but a reboot fixed it the vast majority of the time. I haven’t heard of anyone having it happen twice.

When a reboot doesn’t fix it, it’s been a motor failure.
Thank you.

Lucid is now bending over backwards to arrange covered transport to Chicago - could be picked up today or tomorrow. They are also arranging a rental with Enterprise
Now that I've had a chance to calm down, I'd like to emphasis this point. The GI contact who is arranging transport and the rental/loaner contacted me in less than hour after I got home. I've since had several calls and texts with them to get the details worked out. I'll have a rental tomorrow morning. I also received calls and texts from the transport company within a few hours with a possible pick up today or tomorrow. I should have a visit later tonight to determine if the car can turtle into the trailer or if a winch is needed. Finally, it's obvious that Lucid monitors this forum as I received a very nice call from a Regional Manager who apologized for the RA experience and that this feedback would be used to improve future RA experiences. They also indicated an intent to monitor the progress of the resolution of my case.

It's clear to me that Lucid is doing what is necessary to make things right.

Now that I've had a chance to calm down, I'd like to emphasis this point. The GI contact who is arranging transport and the rental/loaner contacted me in less than hour after I got home. I've since had several calls and texts with them to get the details worked out. I'll have a rental tomorrow morning. I also received calls and texts from the transport company within a few hours with a possible pick up today or tomorrow. I should have a visit later tonight to determine if the car can turtle into the trailer or if a winch is needed. Finally, it's obvious that Lucid monitors this forum as I received a very nice call from a Regional Manager who apologized for the RA experience and that this feedback would be used to improve future RA experiences. They also indicated an intent to monitor the progress of the resolution of my case.

It's clear to me that Lucid is doing what is necessary to make things right.
That’s fantastic news. Hope the fix is super quick.

Reactions: NPN
I really appreciate you sharing your agony with us
This forum has prepared me with what to look out for, so I am happy to pay it forward. I made it a point to learn about the recovery eye location when I took delivery and my advisor knew exactly where it was.

Minnesota Mike,
What can you share about where you last charged and software version?

This forum has prepared me with what to look out for, so I am happy to pay it forward. I made it a point to learn about the recovery eye location when I took delivery and my advisor knew exactly where it was.
Your unfortunate experience has reinforced how important it is to know everything about the vehicle!!

where is this recovery eye location?

What can you share about where you last charged and software version?
Charged to 100% at home on Tuesday 9/27. I think the car is at 1.2.19.

where is this recovery eye location?
Front grill on driver's side. It has a rubber stopper on it. Here's a page out of the DE manual...
1664499051819.png

Not Lucid specific - he had never seen one before. The recovery eye is standard and the location is the same as a few other brands. I had the handle the shifting of gears and disabling the alarm.
That's too bad and sorry you had to go through this. When mine was towed, it was a covered hauler and the driver was extremely familiar with the car and got it into the back in less than five minutes after I drove the car in turtle mode, basically less than 5 mph to the back of the hauler. I was totally blown away at how knowledgable he was with Lucid cars. He provided me ETAs on how far he was from my house every 15-minutes. Even with the tech accidentally trashing my car (frunk, windshield, and a-pillars), the techs are still the best I have worked with and the Lucid employed Service Manager has been awesome, bending over backwards to keep informed and happy.

Lucid is now bending over backwards to arrange covered transport to Chicago - could be picked up today or tomorrow
The saga continues... The transport arrived tonight unannounced (we were supposed to get a call an hour in advance of arrival). When they arrived, I figured out why we did not get a call. The driver only spoke Russian and very very little English. We tried to use Google translate but that must really suck for English/Russian translation. We ended up communicating mostly through sounds and pointing (and a few yes, nyets and oks).

The car was able to move in turtle mode, but the car could not even make the incline of the covered trailer. Luckily, the trailer had a winch - which I was trained on through hand signals and yelps. I operated the winch while the driver attempted to get the car into the trailer. We eventually got it into the trailer and the driver exited the car. At this point he asked "No whee whee whee" which loosely translated means 'turn off the tilt alarm, please' which I did by hanging through the driver's side window and accessing the pilot panel.

When they started to drive off, the car alarm went off. The settings on the mobile app indicated that the tilt alarm was turned on and I could not turn it off via the mobile app (spun for a while and did not change). I then crawled in the trailer and hung through the window to check the pilot panel and the tilt alarm was disabled. Very confusing. They drove off having spent an hour getting it loaded.

Time for a drink

I then crawled in the trailer and hung through the window to check the pilot panel and the tilt alarm was disabled. Very confusing.
And FWIW, the mobile app reported the tilt alarm and that the car was being towed despite the alarm being turned off on the pilot panel. o_O

The saga continues... The transport arrived tonight unannounced (we were supposed to get a call an hour in advance of arrival). When they arrived, I figured out why we did not get a call. The driver only spoke Russian and very very little English. We tried to use Google translate but that must really suck for English/Russian translation. We ended up communicating mostly through sounds and pointing (and a few yes, nyets and oks).

The car was able to move in turtle mode, but the car could not even make the incline of the covered trailer. Luckily, the trailer had a winch - which I was trained on through hand signals and yelps. I operated the winch while the driver attempted to get the car into the trailer. We eventually got it into the trailer and the driver exited the car. At this point he asked "No whee whee whee" which loosely translated means 'turn off the tilt alarm, please' which I did by hanging through the driver's side window and accessing the pilot panel.

When they started to drive off, the car alarm went off. The settings on the mobile app indicated that the tilt alarm was turned on and I could not turn it off via the mobile app (spun for a while and did not change). I then crawled in the trailer and hung through the window to check the pilot panel and the tilt alarm was disabled. Very confusing. They drove off having spent an hour getting it loaded.

Time for a drink
Wow! Enjoy the drink, or two, or several - you deserve it. I had a totally different experience. This guy put the tow hook on in seconds, connected the winch, set the car in N, rolled the driver window down, and never got into the car just winched it in, going through the windows to adjust the steering about three times as it was being pulled in.

I really admire your foresight...I feely badly for you that you needed it

Time for a drink
"....I can't believe I shaved my legs for this...."

Back