Trip around CA

Pwmac

Verified Owner
Cars
GT Blk/SC/21
Going to Sacramento for work so instead of flying planning on taking the Lucid and the dog on the 2000 mile scenic route up to Lake Tahoe, over to San Franscisco and then down the Pacific coast before coming back to Phoenix. It will be my fist time driving many of these roads so any suggestions on what to see, where to take good pictures, where to take the dog or what to avoid are appreciated. Wish I could spend more time along the way but will try to make the most of it staying overnight in Carmel-by-the-Sea, Santa Barbara and San Diego on the way back.

Used a route planner I haven't used before, https://trips.furkot.com, I really like it. I will still probably use the Lucid nav and ABRP for going place to place, but for planning an entire trip it's pretty nice because you can set your fuel type to ev and it will show all the charging stations. You can also set the duration of all your stops, track reservations/expenses and probably more I haven't found yet.

On Sunday July 7th I'm planning to drive around Lake Tahoe, so if there are any other Lucids who would like to take the drive let me know.

1717554139679.png

Let me know when you're in San Diego, perhaps we can meet.

So are you a photographer? If so there are a lot of really cool places right off 395 on the way up to Tahoe. Lone Pine is a cool little town. Bishop also. And the Alabama Hills have lots of fantastic photo opportunities especially early sunrise or late sunset. Bristle Cone Pines are great but the road up to them is dirt/gravel and they are at 13,000 feet so might be a chore with the Lucid. But if you do go up there you can shoot the bristle cone pine with the Milky Way in the background late at night. Bodie is a ghost town right off the highway and also you have Mono Lake with all the "Tufas" that also make great photos at sunrise.

Also on your way south on 101 you can charge in Paso Robles and walk around the square while your car is charging. Justin has a nice tasting room there and the wines are very nice. Lots of places to grab a bite to eat while the car is charging.

So are you a photographer? If so there are a lot of really cool places right off 395 on the way up to Tahoe. Lone Pine is a cool little town. Bishop also. And the Alabama Hills have lots of fantastic photo opportunities especially early sunrise or late sunset. Bristle Cone Pines are great but the road up to them is dirt/gravel and they are at 13,000 feet so might be a chore with the Lucid. But if you do go up there you can shoot the bristle cone pine with the Milky Way in the background late at night. Bodie is a ghost town right off the highway and also you have Mono Lake with all the "Tufas" that also make great photos at sunrise.
I'm not a photographer but still like to take pictures and visit scenic places. Thank you for the tips. The ghost town sounds cool and Mono Lake does look like a good place to checkout. But I think I will have to wait until I get a gravity to check out Bristlecone Pines. Lol! Also marked the Paso Robles EA as good place to stop. Thanks again!

Schatts bakery in Bishop while you charge. Almond cookies ftw!

Another must stop for baked goods is A&R in Blythe. Last time I stopped there on our way to Tucson, wife and I waited 35 minutes from ordering to getting our sammiches. I was mad as hell and I couldn't wait to go back for another one. Yeah, it was too irrationally good.

Pro tip: ask them how long sammiches would take first. Get their fresh baked bread to go if the sammiches are coming out the kitchen on a geological scale.

It's too bad the 1 is still closed from the landslide over a year ago - it's an amazing drive between Carmel and SLO county. Instead you get the boring drive down the 101 instead.

I've charged at a bunch of the EAs between the Bay and LA. Gilroy is usually decent. Soledad is ok, but nothing special. Paso Robles is decent. Pismo Beach is fine, but often has at least 1 charger broken. Avoid Santa Maria. I second @TakeDuo - Bob's is great and we've gone there many times. Goleta is better than Santa Barbara, which is ok. Camarillo is good. Westlake Village kind of stinks.

DM me if you have any questions. Looks like a fun trip!

There is June lake loop on your way through 395. It's worth the drive, and you won't waste a lot of time as you drive and join back to 395 once you complete the loop. If you are lucky, the Tioga road to Yosemite might be open by this time. If so, it's not a bad idea to drive a bit into the road and get a glimpse of it.

When are you in the SF Bay Area? Would love to meet up

For a really fun twisty ride check out skyline in the South Bay roughly between Redwood City and Cupertino. It’s also my backyard so if you let me know when I might be able to join.

Grab lunch or at least stop at Alice’s - always great cars.

There is June lake loop on your way through 395. It's worth the drive, and you won't waste a lot of time as you drive and join back to 395 once you complete the loop. If you are lucky, the Tioga road to Yosemite might be open by this time. If so, it's not a bad idea to drive a bit into the road and get a glimpse of it.
June Lake loop looks like a good detour and I've added to my route but I think I need to take a separate trip to just visit Yosemite and take the Tioga road to do it right.

For a really fun twisty ride check out skyline in the South Bay roughly between Redwood City and Cupertino. It’s also my backyard so if you let me know when I might be able to join.

Grab lunch or at least stop at Alice’s - always great cars.
Meeting up for lunch at Alice's would be great. It would probably be afternoon on Thurs July 11 but I'll reach closer to the day to see if that would work for you.

It looks like I could get on the 35 off the 92 and then take that over to the 9 and then down to the 1. Any issues with that route? I'll have to get some Dramamine and take it slower so my dog doesn't puke all over my backseat. Lol!

Bob’s Well Bread Bakery in Los Alamos along the 101. Across from an EA station. A must stop!
If you have more time and are into lux eating, stop by Bell's up the street from Well Bread for lunch (or dinner). You'll have to make reservation in advance tho... But IMHO this is my top choice for fine dining in CA Central Coast.

Meeting up for lunch at Alice's would be great. It would probably be afternoon on Thurs July 11 but I'll reach closer to the day to see if that would work for you.

It looks like I could get on the 35 off the 92 and then take that over to the 9 and then down to the 1. Any issues with that route? I'll have to get some Dramamine and take it slower so my dog doesn't puke all over my backseat. Lol!
The drive to Alice’s, Lucid friends, AND a dog?! I’m down for ALL of that!

Re: hwy 92 to Alice's, I used to live in San Carlos and had a 100 mile loop that I'd take the S2000 several times per week. It involved hwy 84 (Woodside Road) and Page Mill Road. They're not to be missed. 84 is right next to Alice's...you could take 84 until you're done, turn around, back to Alice's, southeast on 35, exit at Page Mill Road, enjoy that until the fun part is over, turn around, do it in reverse and hey presto you're back on 35 heading SE bound. There's also Pescadero Creek Rd and Alpine Road in the area, it's been a while but somewhere along there is an AMAZING quite spot among the Redwoods. The roads are spectacular, I couldn't stop smiling back in the day with the S2K.

US 395 from Lone Pine to Gardnerville Minden,NV, is one of my favorite stretches of highway. The views are incredible, especially from your GT. Some stops to consider: Our family prefers Great Basin Bakery in Bishop. Mahogany Smoked Meats in Bishop offers incredible sandwiches and a selection of custom smoked meats. If time allows and you want a relaxing dip in a hot springs, Keough’s Hot Spring is another favorite stop.

These are great suggestions and very much appreciated! This forum is great!

Back