Touring vs GT

I like the GT but I'm not sure it's worth the extra money... Maybe I should have bought an used AGT - they seem to be selling at a good discount 🤔

Here's a recent Car and Driver article that you may find helpful.

I was faced with the same decision. The extra range is the AGTs best difference from the touring. I get about 320 mile range on the Touring during trips because of driving faster, carrying extra weight, etc… on the AGT you should be able to get 390 or so miles with same driving situation. When I drive more carefully (highway assist on all the time helps with range on highway), i got about 360 miles on my touring. The AGT should get about mid 400s.

I decided on the Touring and love it. I chose 19 inch wheels (for the smoother ride and range), metal roof (florida sun was a negative for glass roof and metal is lighter for range), and I got the full DDP and SSP options. The car drives incredible.

Much faster than I need or want to drive, so the extra horsepower in AGT would be overkill for me.

The extra range is also overkill for me. My wife and I stop every 3-4 hours of driving anyway. A quick 20 minute charge gets you lots more range.

With tinted windows, the metal roof options has been perfect for florida hot weather. The AC works perfect all the time and car is cool.

The seat are great and the leather is perfect.

The Sound Pro option is just awesome. It is one of my favorite features! DD pro I use all the time also and cant wait for more improvements.

The thing I did not like about the AGT is the the two tone top of the car. I just dont like the look of a different color top. My Touring is all black and it looks great! Just my preference.

Overall, I am glad I saved the money. No regrets.

Electrify America has been great for me. Get plug and charge all the time with no issues. I do use Plugshare app to make sure the charge stop I choose is working and is reliable on a trip.

Anyway, good luck on your decision. You will make the right choice either way!

I was faced with the same decision. The extra range is the AGTs best difference from the touring. I get about 320 mile range on the Touring during trips because of driving faster, carrying extra weight, etc… on the AGT you should be able to get 390 or so miles with same driving situation. When I drive more carefully (highway assist on all the time helps with range on highway), i got about 360 miles on my touring. The AGT should get about mid 400s.
Interesting to see your numbers on 19 inch wheels. I have 20 inch wheels. I get about 290 miles of range with an arrival charge of 9% when driving 83 to 85 on the interstate.

I echo what others have said - either car is a great choice, which option is the right one depends on your particular needs and circumstances.

I had a Touring on order, but opted for a lightly-used GT primarily for the extra range (and I have come to really like the massaging seats!). Then I got another GT in my preferred color combination, so I have to sell the first one, but that’s another story 🙃

Also fully endorse the comments on 19” wheels if range is important. Depending what the roads are like where you are, there’s a ride comfort benefit too. The 21s (and 20s) do look great though!

Great info. Might be hard for me to justify $30k for massage seats and 50 miles of range.
This is the conundrum I experienced as well but it was a $43,000 difference at the time which I couldn't justify for what I really wanted from the GT which was the massaging seats. The Touring is a fine compromise and the "sweet spot" in the Air lineup in my humble opinion. If we are eventually offered the option to upgrade/retrofit our Touring seats to the massaging seats, I won't hesitate to pull the trigger.

Personally I view the Touring as the superior car unless you really take a lot of road trips, or the massaging seats are a true necessity. That it is so much cheaper is a nice bonus.

I'd be hard pressed to tell the acceleration difference from a GT without a stopwatch, and the Touring's lighter weight is a handling advantage. Although the car is faster than the all-season tires on 19" wheels can handle around a corner with either trim. The 2.5-3 inches lower floor in the back translates to a pretty big difference in comfort. I don't perceive the extra Alcantara as any more or less high end than the other trims - it's just different. And I like massaging seats but not as much as @Babyrocko1908 😂

Both are great cars, but if money were no object, for my needs I'd personally still take the Touring.

Personally I view the Touring as the superior car unless you really take a lot of road trips, or the massaging seats are a true necessity. That it is so much cheaper is a nice bonus.

I'd be hard pressed to tell the acceleration difference from a GT without a stopwatch, and the Touring's lighter weight is a handling advantage. Although the car is faster than the all-season tires on 19" wheels can handle around a corner with either trim. The 2.5-3 inches lower floor in the back translates to a pretty big difference in comfort. I don't perceive the extra Alcantara as any more or less high end than the other trims - it's just different. And I like massaging seats but not as much as @Babyrocko1908 😂

Both are great cars, but if money were no object, for my needs I'd personally still take the Touring.
Should I tell my "squealing" story again? 😂 😂 😂

Yes, I really like the massaging seats!!

For a 380 mile freeway trip - plan on stopping for a quick 15-minutes charge enroute with either the Touring or the Grand Touring. You don't want to arrive at 0% anyway.

For a 380 mile freeway trip - plan on stopping for a quick 15-minutes charge enroute with either the Touring or the Grand Touring. You don't want to arrive at 0% anyway.
If you drive in places where the legal speed limit is 75, you will not go 380 miles without charging anyway, maybe unless it's all downhill.

But it will be a nice ride.

We went to Florida from Houston which is a 600mi trip in my Touring.. 15mins at a charger and then 2hrs of non-stop yet very comfortable driving made the trip a breeze... you will be more than good with a Touring.. back seat passengers enjoyed the extra legroom too

That is what I am trying to figure out. On an average 150 kw/h charger how long will I wait for 100 miles of charge?

Ten minutes, very roughly? Depends on your state of charge, preconditioning, charge output etc.

Some crude math:

150kW x .2h = 30kWh

30kWh x 3.6 kWh/mi = 108 miles

So at a constant 150kW and assuming average-ish efficiency you’ll get 108 miles of range in 12 minutes.

Now, if you actually pull 180kW (not unheard of from some 150kW chargers) and drive more efficiently so you get 3.8 mi/kWh, you’ll get your 100 miles in a smidge under 8
9 minutes.

Rock up at a 350kW charger and pull an average of 220kW, and drive at a super efficient 4.0mi/kWh, and you get your 100 miles in a mere six minutes and 49 seconds

YMMV, literally 😂 I generally find that by the time I, the dog and any passengers have had the requisite bathroom / coffee breaks the car is usually ready to go again.

That is what I am trying to figure out. On an average 150 kw/h charger how long will I wait for 100 miles of charge?
Let me put it this way... I was never waiting on the car.. it surprised us that I'd get notifications for charging complete 10 or 15 mins into a session.. id usually be grabbing a bite or buying some snacks and would have to hurry up and move the car cos it was done and I wasn't .. but numerically it'll take about 12 to 15 mins .. which is not a lot of time at all by the time you go into a store or something and come out

One thing I have always wondered.

The GT has the larger battery pack and so has greater horsepower, yet the torque ratings are identical on both the Touring and the GT?

My guess is that torque is limited on the GT to not completely destroy the tires. How much tq does a DEP have?

I'm not an engineer and don't know a lot about the technical side of these things. So, if this is a dumb question/comment, please be kind lol. How much impact does the battery pack size have on hp? I was under the impression that the electric motors are software limited in the cars and that's what results in lower hp going down from DE, GT, Touring, and dual motor Pure. I thought all dual motor lucids have the same motor capacity but hp is intentionally lowered as you go down in price. But, I didn't realize that it has anything to do with the battery pack size. For example, the dual motor pure and Touring have the same battery pack but the Touring has more HP. Can someone help explain this?

I'm not an engineer and don't know a lot about the technical side of these things. So, if this is a dumb question/comment, please be kind lol. How much impact does the battery pack size have on hp? I was under the impression that the electric motors are software limited in the cars and that's what results in lower hp going down from DE, GT, Touring, and dual motor Pure. I thought all dual motor lucids have the same motor capacity but hp is intentionally lowered as you go down in price. But, I didn't realize that it has anything to do with the battery pack size. For example, the dual motor pure and Touring have the same battery pack but the Touring has more HP. Can someone help explain this?
The battery pack at full charge in the GT is 924V where the Touring is 756V. With the same current, the power to the electric motor will be lower with lower voltage. You are correct that the the power is also software limited so it does not scale with just voltage as we see with the Touring and Pure that have about the same battery voltage but different HP. The differences in charge speed between GT and Touring are also caused by the difference in battery pack voltage.

Ten minutes, very roughly? Depends on your state of charge, preconditioning, charge output etc.

Some crude math:

150kW x .2h = 30kWh

30kWh x 3.6 kWh/mi = 108 miles

So at a constant 150kW and assuming average-ish efficiency you’ll get 108 miles of range in 12 minutes.

Now, if you actually pull 180kW (not unheard of from some 150kW chargers) and drive more efficiently so you get 3.8 mi/kWh, you’ll get your 100 miles in a smidge under 8
9 minutes.

Rock up at a 350kW charger and pull an average of 220kW, and drive at a super efficient 4.0mi/kWh, and you get your 100 miles in a mere six minutes and 49 seconds

YMMV, literally 😂 I generally find that by the time I, the dog and any passengers have had the requisite bathroom / coffee breaks the car is usually ready to go again.
My days of calculus were so far back, and I'd buy if someone makes an app for these calculations.
@xponents: this can be part of your college fund. Should be a manageable project for you and your techno friends out there.

My days of calculus were so far back, and I'd buy if someone makes an app for these calculations.
@xponents: this can be part of your college fund. Should be a manageable project for you and your techno friends out there.
The issue usually becomes the variability in day to day efficiency for me. So I've settled on being pretty conservative and simple in my range and charging calculations. I figure very roughly that every 1% of my battery is 1 kWh (instead of 0.92 kWh) and that I should be able to get 3 miles/kWh without much difficulty conditions permitting of course. Doing this, I just multiply my remaining battery percentage by 3 and that gives me a decent estimate of my remaining range. Or, wrt this specific issue, how many miles of real world range I get while charging.

Back