Touring Charge Curves

1stEV

Cars
Lucid Air Touring
I've had my Touring for a few days now and have charged a 3 times (mostly higher up in the pack) and I'm curious to see what rates folks have been seeing at different SoC.

I did a 37%-80% charge today and below 60% my Lucid was stating that charging was limited by the station so I'll throw that data out, but from 60% and on that message went away and the rates were lower than I expected. I'm using the state of charge test for the Dream edition as reference, and while I know that was a larger battery, for a given SoC I'd expect similar rates (capped at 250kW).

SoC (%)​
Observed Charge Rate (kW)​
Reference Charge Rate (kW)​
60​
90​
130​
70​
79​
110​
75​
70​
95​
80​
63​
85​

The 70%-80% rates I have consistently seen on my 3 charges so far (all on different chargers).

Anyone else have any data points for comparison?

I've had my Touring for a few days now and have charged a 3 times (mostly higher up in the pack) and I'm curious to see what rates folks have been seeing at different SoC.

I did a 37%-80% charge today and below 60% my Lucid was stating that charging was limited by the station so I'll throw that data out, but from 60% and on that message went away and the rates were lower than I expected. I'm using the state of charge test for the Dream edition as reference, and while I know that was a larger battery, for a given SoC I'd expect similar rates (capped at 250kW).

SoC (%)​
Observed Charge Rate (kW)​
Reference Charge Rate (kW)​
60​
90​
130​
70​
79​
110​
75​
70​
95​
80​
63​
85​

The 70%-80% rates I have consistently seen on my 3 charges so far (all on different chargers).

Anyone else have any data points for comparison?
Since the Touring battery voltage is lower, you should expect about 18% slower charge rate in kW comparing to the dream. That said the charge current shoud be similar so that the total time to go from 37% to 80% should be similar. Other factors like temperature also play a big factor.

Since the Touring battery voltage is lower, you should expect about 18% slower charge rate in kW comparing to the dream. That said the charge current shoud be similar so that the total time to go from 37% to 80% should be similar. Other factors like temperature also play a big factor.

I know that's true for peak charge rate (since we max out current from charging station), but I wasn't sure if it's necessarily true well below peak as well, since the Air could request more current to compensate for lower pack voltage relative to Dream (i.e. 100kW could be achieved with 900V*111A or 750V*133A).

In any case, the rates I was seeing are closer to 25-30% lower so still out of line with expectations, but as you said there are many other variables in play so I'll continue to monitor it. For reference I had preconditioned for about 25 minutes prior to the session and the ambient temp was 65F.

Back