Top speed limited in Lucid Air

I concur but in the case of EVs I would add a desire to protect range. High speed will make the range drop like a dumb bomb from a B52.
This has me wondering what the range on the Air would be if you launched it to limit speed and kept that going in a straight line.

50 miles? 20?

This has me wondering what the range on the Air would be if you launched it to limit speed and kept that going in a straight line.

50 miles? 20?
I saw somebody launch the air in a POV video, and by the time it got to 60 mph it lost 3 percent of battery for reference.

I saw somebody launch the air in a POV video, and by the time it got to 60 mph it lost 3 percent of battery for reference.

That video must have been rigged. I don't think there's any way the battery and associated circuitry and wiring could handle dumping 3% of its charge in around 3 seconds. Although I've never used launch mode and probably never will, I've done some pretty hard launches that I've sustained well into the triple digits, and the battery meter usually doesn't register any change unless it was already at the cusp, in which case it will drop 1% indicated.

That video must have been rigged. I don't think there's any way the battery and associated circuitry and wiring could handle dumping 3% of its charge in around 3 seconds. Although I've never used launch mode and probably never will, I've done some pretty hard launches that I've sustained well into the triple digits, and the battery meter usually doesn't register any change unless it was already at the cusp, in which case it will drop 1% indicated.
Yeah, the thing to remember about the battery percentage indicator is that it rounds down always. So at 79.9, it shows 79. I could see it dropping a percentage point during a launch immediately for that reason alone.

It was a youtube short showing the Lucid Air touring's launch, and unlike what I said previously it was 3 miles, not percent. So sorry for the confusion(or just plain ignorance)

I have seen another short drop 2 percent, but that was likely on the cusp.

I agree that it seems too high. With perfect efficiency it takes 0.24kWhr to accelerate to 60 mph. Even at 50% efficiency for launch mode that is only 0.5 kWhr. No way it translates to even a full one percent drop in SOC.

YOU’VE NEVER USED LAUNCH MODE?!

I agree that it seems too high. With perfect efficiency it takes 0.24kWhr to accelerate to 60 mph. Even at 50% efficiency for launch mode that is only 0.5 kWhr. No way it translates to even a full one percent drop in SOC.
It isn't 3 percent, but it was 3 miles instead. However, doesnt the lucid need around 0.66 kwh for that launch using 3 miles per launch and the tourings efficiency of 4.6 that is used in the range display?

It isn't 3 percent, but it was 3 miles instead. However, doesnt the lucid need around 0.66 kwh for that launch using 3 miles per launch and the tourings efficiency of 4.6 that is used in the range display?
Even the miles remaining have some significant rounding errors so I doubt it uses .66 kWhr

50 miles? 20?
On track I have gotten 0.3 miles per kWh. Using about 10kWh per lap at a 3 mile track.
Have to make a guess as to the efficiency of cruising at 168mph. I'm going to swag it at 0.6 miles per kWh. 118 * 0.6 = 70.8 miles. Your mileage may vary.

And regret! Next time you take it out, sprint mode, brake, accelerator, let go of the brake, and put your neck back or the car will do it for you!

I've always been shy about pushing car drive components to their limits, and my 72-year-old arthritic neck makes it uncomfortable to put my head against the headrest even at a standstill. I'm afraid my head might just break off in launch mode.

I've always been shy about pushing car drive components to their limits, and my 72-year-old arthritic neck makes it uncomfortable to put my head against the headrest even at a standstill. I'm afraid my head might just break off in launch mode.
You have 21s. Find an abandoned airport or parking lot and try it. You have to. You just have to.

Hell, I’ll come to FL and do it for you if you’d like. It’s unconscionable! :p

It's amazing when you not only feel the G pressure in your chest, but also your eyeballs.

Yeah, the thing to remember about the battery percentage indicator is that it rounds down always. So at 79.9, it shows 79. I could see it dropping a percentage point during a launch immediately for that reason alone.
Also to do launch mode you have to be in Sprint mode which conditions the battery thus putting extra load on the battery.

On track I have gotten 0.3 miles per kWh. Using about 10kWh per lap at a 3 mile track.
Have to make a guess as to the efficiency of cruising at 168mph. I'm going to swag it at 0.6 miles per kWh. 118 * 0.6 = 70.8 miles. Your mileage may vary.
Next time you go to the track, could you please record it on a POV recording?
Taking the Lucid to the track is something ice always wanted to do, but am really on the fence about it.
And there's currently 0 videos of anyone driving the Lucid hard around turns in A POV view. Even the videos of the Stig are either from outside, overhead, or we're staring at the Stig and not the road.

Back