Top speed limited in Lucid Air

I've hit 185+ mph in an M6 grand coupe on the autobahn.
I hit 171 in an Air DE but I won't say where so as not to incriminate myself. That said, @Bill55, if you are the one with the Sapphire, I expect you to de-throne me as having taken a Lucid faster and if you can't/won't, gimme a shot! ;)

I hit 171 in an Air DE but I won't say where so as not to incriminate myself. That said, @Bill55, if you are the one with the Sapphire, I expect you to de-throne me as having taken a Lucid faster and if you can't/won't, gimme a shot! ;)
I thought top speed was 168 on all Lucid Air models except for Sapphire?

Interesting! I tested also using GPS and my radar, and it’s definitely 2mph for me.
The difference could be the speed at which you were testing. It is relative. So a 1% "error" at 25 mph produces a different result than a 1% "error" at 65 mph. For example.

171 is pretty stout. I've got video of 169 for the Sapphire. 😁 We will see where we have a chance to run this year, maybe we can set a new number for 2024.

171 is pretty stout. I've got video of 169 for the Sapphire. 😁 We will see where we have a chance to run this year, maybe we can set a new number for 2024.
I don't dare post it but I have video and screen shots "in Mexico". If anyone visits SoCal, happy to share. My buddy in his Tesla Plaid posted his near-200 mph run on Twitter:

I don't dare post it but I have video and screen shots "in Mexico". If anyone visits SoCal, happy to share. My buddy in his Tesla Plaid posted his near-200 mph run on Twitter:
Is it just me or does it look like the driver is holding the phone in one hand and holding the steering wheel in one hand?? If so, it must feel really buttoned down to be able to hit 190+ with one hand on the wheel. Pretty impressive! I usually get antsy about the steering with both hands glued on the wheel in most high performance cars above 130 (when i visit mexico at least)

Is it just me or does it look like the driver is holding the phone in one hand and holding the steering wheel in one hand?? If so, it must feel really buttoned down to be able to hit 190+ with one hand on the wheel. Pretty impressive! I usually get antsy about the steering with both hands glued on the wheel in most high performance cars above 130 (when i visit mexico at least)
Indeed, you are correct. I called them out on that. He stated he was completely comfortable with it. We all have our own comfort level. I concur about the two hands but maybe at that point…

Indeed, you are correct. I called them out on that. He stated he was completely comfortable with it. We all have our own comfort level. I concur about the two hands but maybe at that point…
Dude, you better need THREE hands at that speed, not even two! 🤣

Dude, you better need THREE hands at that speed, not even two! 🤣
What makes this more risky is the fact that it's a yoke. A steering wheel, you can feel comfortable pushing down on it. But on the yoke, without a center position, you're pushing down on whatever side of the wheel to try to hold it steady and any small rotation and things can get antsy!!

Driving at any speed with a camera in your hand is idiotic. Period. Doing it at that speed is attempted murder.

What makes this more risky is the fact that it's a yoke. A steering wheel, you can feel comfortable pushing down on it. But on the yoke, without a center position, you're pushing down on whatever side of the wheel to try to hold it steady and any small rotation and things can get antsy!!

Not only is it a yoke, but it doesn't have variable-ratio steering. So the yoke remains as sensitive to minor movements at that speed as in a parking lot. I find even quick lane changes at normal traffic speeds clumsy in our Model S Plaid.

The driver involved is a moron.

I think it will become more and more difficult to run an EV like the Sapphire, stock, in controlled environments.
Places where you can do a 200mph run want a cage, certified seat, and 6 point harness for speeds over 175mph.
It is a discussion with tracks and event insurers at every venue if they will allow an EV on track.
There are safety concerns due to the speeds, a three point harness is just not enough, this is true not just with EVs, but with ICE vehicles also.
Additionally, if there is an incident and the battery ignites, their ability to put it out, and potential damage to the track.
The tires are incredible, but it's asking a lot to have efficiency, durability, and handle 200mph.

Back