Took delivery last Friday! Thoughts on week one and unfortunate problem last night.

As I recall I didn't have to hit the brake hard, just a tap. I really didn't want to slow down as I was holding up the other Lucids on the drive behind me.

Sorry everybody. I will try to post more later I am dictating this to Siri as I drive. We are in the middle of trying to move back into our house after being out due to leaking pipes and house flooding. And it is a three ring circus at my house at every moment. Please excuse typos as Siri stinks. What I can say is there was no warning or indication of any malfunction other than pressing pedal did not result in going. It seems like a software glitch. I love the car and think it’s amazing and have really enjoyed it my first week. It seems clear that Lucid needs to figure out a way to hard reboot the car while you are in it and that is the biggest problem. When we called Support they told us to exit the vehicle. We explained that we were in the middle of an essence a highway and that was incredibly unsafe and they told us that was the only option. We waited until traffic subsided and ran across the road and tried to get the car to hard reset which it would not do. I would have to try to go 20 ft away and leave the car in the road while I walked down the median and then go back and run across the road and try to get into the car again. This did not solve the issue.

At this point the police showed up and told us we had to get the car out of the middle lane as it was a serious safety concern so I hopped back in the car put it in neutral and they pushed it over to the side of the road using the police car while we waited for the tow truck to arrive. The tow truck came and of course had never seen a Lucid and wasn’t sure how to get it on the bed. The tow driver got in the car started messing around with it put it in drive and all of a sudden the car started moving so it clearly somehow reset itself in the time we were waiting for the tow truck to arrive. We made the executive decision to go ahead and send it to the service center since the tow truck was already there and we were very close to the service center. Riviera Beach called me this morning to try to get more information on what happened and I’m just waiting to hear back - on the plus side the service techs were very helpful and professional even as my husband was losing his shit over the fact that we were stopped in in the middle of the highway at 9:30 at night with our kid in the backseat and no way to reset the car over the air. Hopefully they will figure out a software patch for a hard reset in the car. I understand from a friend that Tesla has this functionality.

Ps. I love the car and it is amazing. But the glass is tough in a hot climate and the wipers do not go fast enough for a South FL pouring rainstorm. I set cabin maintain for errand running to keep it from getting too hot as I am out and about.
Glad you and your family are ok. Beta testing should be frustrating, NOT life threatening (exempting Tesla)! My wife and I pick our AGT up tomorrow at Short Hills, NJ. Praying for no such incidents on the 2 hr. drive home, both for our safety, and for my own sanity. “You spent how much on this car and we even can’t make it home!” 🤣

@borski, if you are driving at highway speeds, you obviously cannot brake to a complete halt. Can you just lightly tap the brake and then switch it to "D"? Pretty much recreate what @SaratogaLefty did. How lightly/heavily do you have to tap the brake to get into "D"?
Yes; you do not need to brake to a complete halt. You just need to tap the brake and switch into D while your foot is on it. Just like when you're starting the car, it wants to know that you have your foot on the brake and then switching into D. So just a half-second or so while you move the stalk down is all you need.

But, of course, if you don't know that it's in neutral, the last thing you'd be doing is trying to hit the brake and move the stalk.

Glad you and your family are ok. Beta testing should be frustrating, NOT life threatening (exempting Tesla)! My wife and I pick our AGT up tomorrow at Short Hills, NJ. Praying for no such incidents on the 2 hr. drive home, both for our safety, and for my own sanity. “You spent how much on this car and we even can’t make it home!” 🤣
Don't touch the stalk. ;)

(and congrats!)

Same issue happened to me yesterday. Was driving 40mph and accidentally hit wrong stalk , thinking I was putting on wipers, and put car in neutral. Luckily no one was behind me and I realized this and tapped on brakes quickly and was able to get back in motion. Of course every time I drive my wife’s Audi SQ5, I now turn wipers on when I go to put into reverse 🤪🤪

Same issue happened to me yesterday. Was driving 40mph and accidentally hit wrong stalk , thinking I was putting on wipers, and put car in neutral. Luckily no one was behind me and I realized this and tapped on brakes quickly and was able to get back in motion. Of course every time I drive my wife’s Audi SQ5, I now turn wipers on when I go to put into reverse 🤪🤪
The same (wiper thing) happened to me but i was able to easily get back into drive.

But, of course, if you don't know that it's in neutral, the last thing you'd be doing is trying to hit the brake and move the stalk.
This is a serious f***-up. Most people will go into panic mode at highway speeds. At the very least, there should be an audible alarm and flashing text alerting you to the fact that you put the car in neutral. That still begs the question - how would you know to lightly tap the brake and switch back to "D" unless someone's already told you this?

This is a serious f***-up. Most people will go into panic mode at highway speeds. At the very least, there should be an audible alarm and flashing text alerting you to the fact that you put the car in neutral. That still begs the question - how would you know to lightly tap the brake and switch back to "D" unless someone's already told you this?
I agree with you. It does tell you it's in neutral because the gear is displayed on the panel, but it isn't "called out." You'd have to notice it's in N, not D.

I agree there should be a warning or alert, but at least it's not actually a drivetrain issue or anything like that.

Also, Teslas have the same issue.

In EVs with one-pedal driving (such as Lucid and Tesla), the brake lights come on at a certain level of regenerative braking even without putting your foot on the brake pedal. My experience with both brands is that the brake lights come on early in regen so, if anything, drivers behind you might think you're doing more braking than you actually are.
It is my experience with my particular car that the brake lights come on very LATE in the braking process. I watched them in the rear view mirror during one particular drive using the reflection off the vehicle behind me. The lignite did not really come on until the car was almost stopped, like 1second/ 5’ from stopped.

I might have to ask Lucid about this one as it actually makes me a bit uncomfortable.

I drove a Tesla for six years that had the same gear shift setup as the Lucid, and I can't recount the number of times I accidentally shifted into neutral doing the same thing you did. The problem was exacerbated by the fact that I also had Hondas during that same period which have their wiper stalks exactly where Tesla and Lucid have their gear shift stalks, and in the Honda the wiper "swipe" function is activated exactly the way you put the Tesla and the Lucid into neutral. It was very easy to throw the EVs into neutral instinctively . . . and I still do it occasionally.
First of all, that sounds like a scary situation, and I'm glad to hear everyone made it out and safe with no issues.

I just went out and tried to recreate the issue by bumping the stalk into neutral, and it did *exactly* what your car did. I tried it twice, and both times you lose all response from the accelerator and can't put it back into drive without hitting the brake to do so. I *strongly* suspect you accidentally hit the stalk up, but of course there should be some sort of warning or something.

Please keep us updated!
I my limited time with the car, I have found the gear “shifting” to be a tad tricky . Not conceptually , but sometimes you can hit it by accident or occasionally it doesn’t seem to respond the way intended ( likely user error on my part ).
Good to be aware of this potential issue.

Can be easily fixed. Removes the ability to coast but if the car is doing over 5mph/10mph or something they can program the software to not allow the car to go in reverse or neutral.

Wow that's scary! It's new delivery too! Would think newer deliveries would have less problems.

Can be easily fixed. Removes the ability to coast but if the car is doing over 5mph/10mph or something they can program the software to not allow the car to go in reverse or neutral.
Yes, I was going to suggest this. I see no reason to put the car in neutral at 70mph! If you are coasting down a hill, maybe, but why not use regeneration to charge the battery?

First of all I want to say I am glad you and your family are all safe. I also had a flooding problem in my home a few years ago (ice maker tube came off while we were out of town) and I totally empathize with your home situation. A thought occurred to me that may or may not be relevant. By chance did it start raining just before the problem occurred? If so then perhaps what happened to you might be similar to what happened to me a couple of weeks ago. I was driving along on a downhill slope and it started to mist heavily but my wipers didn't immediately come on. So I instinctively hit the right stalk upward as that was how I used to initiate a quick wipe in my Porsche Panamera. All of a sudden I had no power but fortunately I was going downhill so the car kept moving. I felt a mild panic growing as I was trying to figure out what was going on. Then I noticed that I had put the car into neutral when I pushed up on the right stalk. I tried to put it back into drive mode but it stayed in neutral. Then I tapped on the brake and I was able to "shift" back into Drive and everything was fine. The fact that the tow truck driver was able to put the car into drive makes me wonder if this same situation could have been what happened to you??
I did the same exact thing after the first few days! I thought I was wiping the windshield, but put it into neutral and almost panicked before realizing what I did. Now when I get into ICE cars, I usually turn on the wipers when I’m trying to put it into gear. 😂

Every time I've accidentally hit the wrong stalk on my Tesla, I get a loud audible warning, and then it ignores what I was trying to do. I don't think I've ever bumped it light enough to go into neutral, but I've definitely almost knocked it into reverse, and the car just doesn't let that happen at speed.

I did the same exact thing after the first few days! I thought I was wiping the windshield, but put it into neutral and almost panicked before realizing what I did. Now when I get into ICE cars, I usually turn on the wipers when I’m trying to put it into gear. 😂
It's a bad human factors design.

Yes, would definitely seem like a smart/safe fix. Definitely takes some getting use to if you're not use to the right stalk being a shifter. Our last couple cars have been Mercedes which have that right shifter, just like Lucid. Takes a little getting used to, for sure...

Hi all. I took delivery last Friday - Reserved April 10, Vin August 9 and Delivery September 2. White, Tahoe and 21" wheels.

I have been too busy to post anything yet and so I decided I would do a one week trial and then comment with all my thoughts for those patiently waiting on their "Luci's". I am a heavy driver and the car is already at 500 miles. I love the car and have detailed opinions on everything that people are discussing on the forums (A/C. wipers etc.). My plan was a glowing review with a few minor niggles. Unfortunately, the car was towed to the service center in Riviera Beach last night after it stopped driving in the middle of a six lane road here in S FL with no warning or error codes. Power still on the car but totally non-responsive to the gas pedal. Stay tuned for further updates, but suffice it to say that it was a very scary experience to be in the middle lane with cars zooming by at 50 miles/hour and no way to reset the software from inside the car. My son was in the backseat and we were petrified we were going to get hit. It was not a pleasant end to the day.
Sorry to hear. My post this morning shared details of a similar experience. Our vehicles are probably side by side at the service center.

If this happened to me, regardless of brand, I would rake them over the coals and likely never buy or rec them ever again.

Back