To Spare or not to Spare

El Bee

Living that Lucid life!
Verified Owner
Supporting Member
Cars
Air Grand Touring
I’m contemplating a last minute road trip from LA to Sacramento this week for a family funeral. I’ve already had to replace two of the Pirelli 21” due to encounters with potholes and am a bit nervous about making the trip without a spare. I have ordered to EWSportline but I don’t think it will arrive in time. Should I risk it?

100%. Check your tire pressure. Give it 2-3 extra PSI above 42 for each tire. You should be fine.

I have been checking my tires every week now with the 19". The tires lost 1-3 pounds of pressure due to temperature and elevation changes on our trip every week.

I have had an EZ Spare and used it once in my garage. I got the EZ Spare before alternatives were available last fall. It fits nicely in the bottom of the frunk. Unless there is a sidewall failure it is better to use an air pump to restore the tire to drive a short distance to a repair facility. This assumes that the puncture is on the flat surface of the tire, not the sidewall. The problem with the spare is that unless your jack can fit under the car near the jack point of the flat tire, which is less than four inches you are out of luck. There is a jack that Lucid mobile uses that has a very low clearance so will work even if only three inches of clearance under the jack point. One could use the jack under the higher jack point near the good tire, as the car is stiff enough I believe to lift it high enough to replace the flat tire. That better jack is rather large and costs about $400, and storage in the frunk or trunk is a compromise. FWIW, I have had three nail punctures in my 19s the first 6 months of ownership, and had not had a puncture for many years before those unfortunate episodes. The Discount Tire shop near me repaired and rebalanced the tires for no charge. They told me it was goodwill.

Go for it. Do you have the tire inflator kit? And as Rogue said, I'd pump up your tires to 45psi.

Go for it. Do you have the tire inflator kit? And as Rogue said, I'd pump up your tires to 45psi.
I’ll pick one up today. Is there a particular make you recommend?

I’ll pick one up today. Is there a particular make you recommend?
The Lucid brand one because the power cable is longer than other ones so it can reach all 4 wheels from the trunk.

I have had an EZ Spare and used it once in my garage. I got the EZ Spare before alternatives were available last fall. It fits nicely in the bottom of the frunk. Unless there is a sidewall failure it is better to use an air pump to restore the tire to drive a short distance to a repair facility. This assumes that the puncture is on the flat surface of the tire, not the sidewall. The problem with the spare is that unless your jack can fit under the car near the jack point of the flat tire, which is less than four inches you are out of luck. There is a jack that Lucid mobile uses that has a very low clearance so will work even if only three inches of clearance under the jack point. One could use the jack under the higher jack point near the good tire, as the car is stiff enough I believe to lift it high enough to replace the flat tire. That better jack is rather large and costs about $400, and storage in the frunk or trunk is a compromise. FWIW, I have had three nail punctures in my 19s the first 6 months of ownership, and had not had a puncture for many years before those unfortunate episodes. The Discount Tire shop near me repaired and rebalanced the tires for no charge. They told me it was goodwill.
Do I read this as there are better alternatives than EZ Spare? Can you expand on that and also the jack brand, model?
Thanks.

Do I read this as there are better alternatives than EZ Spare? Can you expand on that and also the jack brand, model?
Thanks.
I was told by Service not to buy the EZ Spare or other alternatives. They said it can do damage to jack up the car at only one point because the car is so heavy. All the tow vehicles I've seen use a flat bed and roll the car up onto it and the service department uses a four point lift to raise up the car.

I was told by Service not to buy the EZ Spare or other alternatives. They said it can do damage to jack up the car at only one point because the car is so heavy. All the tow vehicles I've seen use a flat bed and roll the car up onto it and the service department uses a four point lift to raise up the car.
I think for a brief jack to change a tire, you'll be fine. Mobile service jacked up my car with a single jack when I had my blowout early on. He's the one who told me that it was even safe to jack it up at the other jack point because of how rigid the frame was.

Service will always say that to CYA because it’s technically aftermarket. For a quick tire change, jacking up at a single point is fine - provided you are using an appropriate jack point, of course.

Service will always say that to CYA because it’s technically aftermarket. For a quick tire change, jacking up at a single point is fine - provided you are using an appropriate jack point, of course.
I'd read here that the EZSpare was tested by Lucid, and I inferred tacit approval.
However, no source was attributed in the post.

Thanks.
Can't open the attachment., though.
70897222879__53B44AB2-D760-451C-B8C6-D93C1EAFD4C1.jpeg

Thanks.
There are three options, which came out in this order: EZSpare, Modern Spare, and EVSportline.

Many have gotten the EZSpare because it was the first (and only, at the time).

Some like the look of the Modern Spare better.

EVSportline’s claim to fame is “We tested other spare kits and frankly we didn't like the look nor would we feel safe using their 'lug centric' wheels. Some companies make generic spare wheels and overside [sic] the hub. These wheels use the 'lug nuts' to center the wheel. The purpose of lug centering is to enable one generic wheel to fit many different vehicles. All factory wheels are 'hub centric'. The wheel centers directly on the vehicle hub and lug nuts are only used to hold the wheel tight to the hub. This is the only safe way to attached a vehicle wheel. 1EV only sells hub centric wheels, and this promise extends to our TS1 Spare wheel. We designed and tooled the TS1 Spare exclusively to Lucid Air hub specifications. Unlike general purpose Modern Spare kits or other generic spares, rest assured the 1EV TS1 Spare Wheel & Tire kit is made specifically for your Lucid Air and it fits and matches or exceeds all specs, providing a safe and reliable spare tire solution.”

YMMV.

My recent road trip from NJ to FL would not have been possible without a spare. A bubble in the sidewall of a front tire tire was noticable when we were about to depart Savannah, GA. It was important to arrive home that day, but too risky to drive 400 miles at high speed with that bubble. So I put on the EZ spare, needed help from a nearby car's cigarette lighter, because the cord for the power wrench would not allow it to reach the lug nuts, and headed south. Our goal was to reach the Riviera Beach service center to get a new tire installed. But at 50 mph, the max recommended speed for the EZ Spare, we would not get to the service center before it closed. I had been in touch with the service center since I discovered the bubble, arranging for the repair. Spent some time on the phone trying to locate a tire in Savannah, but, no surprise , I couldn't find one. So I decided to push the speed to 60 for an hour. Then to 65. We made to the service center before closing, but damaged the wheel hub during the trip,(one of the bolts was bent) which needed to be replaced, an extra $400 cost. Worth it. But this illustrates the problem with using the vehicle for road trips, any part failure can have severe consequences on the continuation of the trip. We could not afford to spend a couple of days in Savannah waiting for a tire or Mobile service. It was drive with the bubble or EZ Spare. Lucid service was great, they even picked up the food we had ordered and we ate dinner in the waiting area while the car was being repaired. As soon as they finished the repair they turned off the lights and closed up the shop. This was a much better outcome then my last road trip, when the car had to be towed 616 miles and we were in a rental. But I am 0 for 2 on long distance trips.
The main point is EZ Spare saved my trip even though I pushed it well past its recommended specs for both speed and time of use.

From what I am reading with the frequent bubbles on the sidewalls of the 21 inch tires, I believe that Lucid should temporarily D/C the 21 inch tires and substitute with the 20 inch tires, until such time that the tire manufacturers can come up with a more reliable tire design for the weight of the car.

When I read that a number of owners are afraid to take their car on a long road trip, because of fear of a tire failure, then its time for reevaluation..

Yes, I know the 19 inch tires are a possible solution, but quite frankly I find them to be very generic looking and many owners want something that looks more appropriate on a expensive great looking Lucid sedan. The 19" wheels look only so so.

I expect to get some backlash on my last statement. But I feel for the money that I paid for the Grand Touring, I expect a nicer looking wheel.(the 20 inch wheels which look very nice were not available when I ordered and received my car).

I love the look of the 21 inch wheels on my AGT, but is seems too many owners are having too many problems with these Pirelli tires.

From what I am reading with the frequent bubbles on the sidewalls of the 21 inch tires, I believe that Lucid should temporarily D/C the 21 inch tires and substitute with the 20 inch tires, until such time that the tire manufacturers can come up with a more reliable tire design for the weight of the car.

When I read that a number of owners are afraid to take their car on a long road trip, because of fear of a tire failure, then its time for reevaluation..

Yes, I know the 19 inch tires are a possible solution, but quite frankly I find them to be very generic looking and many owners want something that looks more appropriate on a expensive great looking Lucid sedan. The 19" wheels look only so so.

I expect to get some backlash on my last statement. But I feel for the money that I paid for the Grand Touring, I expect a nicer looking wheel.(the 20 inch wheels which look very nice were not available when I ordered and received my car).

I love the look of the 21 inch wheels on my AGT, but is seems too many owners are having too many problems with these Pirelli tires.
The 20" wheels were my preference also but were not available last fall when I got my car. I am not sure that winter compound tires to fit the Lucid 20" wheels were available last winter anyway so the 19s got me through the New England winter on Sotto Zeros. The 20s with the right pressure ride better than the 19s at 49 psi, IMO so I will get them fitted for summer use.

The 20" wheels were my preference also but were not available last fall when I got my car. I am not sure that winter compound tires to fit the Lucid 20" wheels were available last winter anyway so the 19s got me through the New England winter on Sotto Zeros. The 20s with the right pressure ride better than the 19s at 49 psi, IMO so I will get them fitted for summer use.
I believe that Lucid that should not even offer the 21 inch tires at this point, and instead have the 20 wheels as standard, until they can come up with a better tire.

It' pretty sad when a Lucid owner is afraid to go on a long trip because of this problem.

So many people on this forum have had multiple problems with these 21 inch Pirellis, it is evident that this tire is not fit for reliable use on a long trip whereby you can get stuck in no mans land with a blowout which has been reported too many times.

Back