Pirelli Tire Issue & Warranty Megathread

I just paid $ 298 for 4 certificates in Chicago at Discount Tire. They never looked at the tires nor asked the mileage just wanted the year of my GT. It seems like they based it on the 19” replacement price of the tires.

I have found DT to be very pro consumer. Years ago, my wife smacked a curb hard on a 3 day old set of expensive Contis. Big bubble. I had not bought certificates. Brought the car in to DT. Salesman instantly said, no worries, let's get you set up with certificates now, so we can replace the tire for free.

Yes, he sold me certificates with a bubbled tire. And, The certificates were less than a new tire.

I just ordered a new set of four tires today. (8000 miles) Bubbles in each of the front two and a slow leak in the driver side rear. i noticed that my tires, other than the leaking one were inflated to around 50 lbs. Door sticker say 42 and tire max shows 51. I'm planning on sticking to the 42 on the new tires. I'm wondering what everyone else is running and if overinflation might have something to do with the bubble issue. Just a thought. Discount Tire had 2 fronts in stock in another San Diego location, and Tire Rack had rears online. I did include RH certificates with the purchase. I reached out the SC yesterday but still haven't heard anything back, thinking that Discount Tire wouldn't be able to get them.

I just ordered a new set of four tires today. (8000 miles) Bubbles in each of the front two and a slow leak in the driver side rear. i noticed that my tires, other than the leaking one were inflated to around 50 lbs. Door sticker say 42 and tire max shows 51. I'm planning on sticking to the 42 on the new tires. I'm wondering what everyone else is running and if overinflation might have something to do with the bubble issue. Just a thought. Discount Tire had 2 fronts in stock in another San Diego location, and Tire Rack had rears online. I did include RH certificates with the purchase. I reached out the SC yesterday but still haven't heard anything back, thinking that Discount Tire wouldn't be able to get them.
As you may know, Discount Tire/Americas Tire bought Tire Rack in January.

I do not "think" the bubble issue came from the higher pressure. ALMOST always, bubbles are caused by the tire folding badly/collapsing when you hit a lip of a pothole or a curb, and the sidewall plies delaminate/separate. I could see a tire simply blow apart from too high pressure. So, correct or high pressure keeps the tire from folding.

I personally like 44 pounds. Car handles great. I usually do a tad higher than recommended as tires naturally loose pressure over time, plus changes from driving in the CO mtns. (The bag of potatoes chips exploded driving from 5000ft to 9000 ft last night - dog was not happy). Rather be two pounds to high that 2 pounds too low.

INHO and unscientific opinion, I think 49 or 50 is too high, simply because it is so close to the max. But that is my guess. I would think 50 would be a rough ride. Going 8 pounds up on an Audi could make the ride very harsh. (but makes the car very tossable!)

Note, I still have Longacre racing gauges from my Porsche club racing days. All of them read that my TPMS' in my Lucid are reading 3 pounds too low. When the TPMS says 39, the Longacre gauges say 42. Maybe I can get my gauges calibrated. IDNK.

My total was actually $247.50
View attachment 13402
Thanx @Bobby ! Answers my other question which was about the price of rear 21" on my DE-P.
I was just quoted $472ea where you were quoted $463, 9 months ago; perfectly aligned.
When I brought it to America's Tire they said that the tread was between green and yellow (just in the yellow @4/32") which is why they gave me the tire cost quote. Can I bring it to them now to get those tire certs or do you need to be (presumably) in the green?
EDU_tire_safety_wet_stopping_distance_DT.jpg

Thanx @Bobby ! Answers my other question which was about the price of rear 21" on my DE-P.
I was just quoted $472ea where you were quoted $463, 9 months ago; perfectly aligned.
When I brought it to America's Tire they said that the tread was between green and yellow (just in the yellow @4/32") which is why they gave me the tire cost quote. Can I bring it to them now to get those tire certs or do you need to be (presumably) in the green?
View attachment 17669
Not sure. Worth a shot.

View attachment 17669
They have this little laser measuring device that measures tread depth, and if they use it, it needs to read 3/32" or better to qualify. Definitely worth a shot.

They have this little laser measuring device that measures tread depth, and if they use it, it needs to read 3/32" or better to qualify. Definitely worth a shot.
3 i'm in! 4 I'm out!
Appointment made! 🙏

Interesting - they'll insure a tire with barely legal tread depth. I guess it makes sense, as the chances are that the tire will wear out, and the certificate with it, before it suffers road hazard damage.

Went to Americas Tires and my FRONTS read 7/32" so bought the certificates! Thanx for the info, guys! 🙏

The REARS measured 4/32" and tho he'll sell the certs at any tread depth, he made a more compelling case to get the tires replaced so I've ordered them and will just get the certificates when they're installed.

Back