Pirelli Tire Issue & Warranty Megathread

I just did it yesterday and I have 4200 miles on mine. Stopped in at Americas Tire, they just looked at the car, noted down the tire size and car information. It was $288 out the door for all four. If you need a tire replaced due to a road hazard (pothole), it just costs $60. The tire is free, it’s the service and disposal cost. Easy! Took five minutes.
Yep. I just did this last week. I drive my Lucid, it's not a museum piece and these tires are not made for longevity or practical daily driving. I wish I would have known about this America's Tire policy from day one!

Yep. I just did this last week. I drive my Lucid, it's not a museum piece and these tires are not made for longevity or practical daily driving. I wish I would have known about this America's Tire policy from day one!
This is my daily driver as well. The tires are made just fine for that, it’s the potholes (and for some people curbs) that any low profile tires are not cut out for. The roads around CA are horrible right now, even my daughters X1 SUV could not escape the wrath of a sidewall bubble recently. I do feel much better with the warranty now though.

This is my daily driver as well. The tires are made just fine for that, it’s the potholes (and for some people curbs) that any low profile tires are not cut out for. The roads around CA are horrible right now, even my daughters X1 SUV could not escape the wrath of a sidewall bubble recently. I do feel much better with the warranty now though.
Almost 15k miles in and I haven’t had a single 19” or 21” issue, other than two nails I ran over, which happens with any car. 🤷‍♂️

Polar 🐼 and Juno 🐻‍❄️ (Grand Touring Quantum Grey) would like to thank cyberwife for her info on the America Tire policy which PB just brought several hours ago with the assistance of Brandi ! She was pleasantly surprised to see a second LUCID at the Orange location. After having a flat tire in March, Polar 🐼 finally decided to buy an EZ Spare tire and this road hazard policy. As usual Polar 🐼 ALWAYS behind in catching up with the numerous educational threads of owners in this forum. Thank you for your wonderful insights.

After I switched to Continentals I didn’t get a single welt for the entire life of the car. For the last 7 years I went through 3 Panamera GTS (long story) with 22 inch rims and didn’t get a single welt with the Michelins.
Right on. I have hated Pirelli since my 1972 911 E. I have NEVER not had an issue with them. I have even paid Porsche and Audi dealers to swap out tires on the new car lot so not to have Pirellis. If you ever want to upset a true 911 enthusiast, use the P word.

And I have had fantastic success for decades with Conti. Not perfect. But always professional. Sometimes boring, but THEY WORK. Audi's, due to its Quattro system eats ties. Audi has for years worked with Conti on tires in conjunction with car development. The Conti DWS 06 Plus is universally loved for Audi bigger AWD cars because it works, and it works because Audi worked with Conti on designing it. I have never had a bulge or blowout on a Conti 21" or 22". And they have been on heavy Audi's.

This thread has been fascinating and concerning. Even if anecdotal, there appears to be
too many Pirellis issues. You do not see tire issues on the Audi forums. Even with 21s or 22s. And I have not seen a single post here on Michelin.

In my opinion, reading a plethora of well written posts here, Lucid chose poorly in specing Pirellis. Now I see it is using more Michelin. Even if Michelin don't have a HL load rating.

Thanks @Bobby , my new to me AT shows up in a few days. I will immediately take to my DT dealer where I have bought many Contis, for the warranty. And keep peeled to the forum on success with other tires.

My wife had an Audi A4 w/ Pirellis; she had so many bubbles that I ended up just having the Pirelli's swapped out for Michelins. Still have those like-new Pirellis sitting in my garage....
Same here. Audi dealers are used to swapping out Pirellis, for a fee. They do not blink when you ask.

Bobby, just curious about the reasons for variable cost we see posted here. Dealer discretion? Length of time since install? Don't the DT warranties end 3 or 4 years after first install?
I’m not sure. It seems that the post above was the only one that was more than what I said. As far as I know, everyone else except that owner had the same price that I did. Yes, I believe it lasts three years. In my case that will be well longer than the lifespan of the tires.

Thanks to @Bobby and others, took my now 5 day old (to me) 2023 Touring with 21" Pirellis into Discount Tire for the so-called tire certificates. Took all of five minutes. They did not put the car on a lift. The young man totally knew the procedure without any prompting. His first comment, "very wise to get certificates on 21" Pirellis -- I see more issues with Pirelli than other tires"

As he is calculating the cost of my certificates, he looks up and says to me: "I bet the guy behind you wish he had certificates." Confused, I turn around and lo and behold, a flat bed is right behind me with a new Lucid Black Air, with a flat left front tire and bad wheel rash. I first guessed it was 21s with Pirellis, but quickly noticed it had 20" and the Michelins. I ask the tow driver: POTHOLE??. He said the owner told him he went "flying over a curb." Then in unison, the DT salesman and the tow driver say: no tire does well over curbs. How true - ask my wife how I we ......

The cost for my certificates were $81 each for the fronts and $89 each for the rear, total with tax $372. He walked me through the procedure: He puts in the system as if I buying four new tires for THAT car, THAT day. He then tells the system that I also wanted certificates. System spits out a number for the replacement warranty. In the old days, the certificates were fixed price, he said. (I think it was $60) Now, it is based on the replacement cost of the tire. Makes sense, why should a replacement certificate for a $472 tire be the same as a $125 Uniroyal?

I know that @Bobby and @borski and others have made comments of their "luck" so far with 21" Pirellis. And I worried if they were tempting fate. This morning, it was as if FATE was telling me I DID THE RIGHT DAMN THING GETTING THE CERTIFICATES.

Attachments

• Michi flat.jpg
    Michi flat.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 83
Question - Nearest Discount Tire location is 70 miles from where I live so even if I drive to get certificates, do you know if Discount Tire can give credit if actual repair was done by another local service center in case of emergencies?

Question - Nearest Discount Tire location is 70 miles from where I live so even if I drive to get certificates, do you know if Discount Tire can give credit if actual repair was done by another local service center in case of emergencies?
No, it is only for work actually in their service centers.

I just got mine a few days ago also. Was $288 for my DE 21's. Not sure why the price difference, but I'd have paid either for the peace of mind. Of course, now it's definite that nothing will happen, but whatever, lol.

I just picked up my Rivian R1S today and the 21’s are also Pirelli‘s although no where near the same low profile as the 21’s on my Lucid. Will be heading to America’s Tire tomorrow to get the road hazard certificate ($65/each). I’m not going to tempt fate!

Back