Pirelli Tire Issue & Warranty Megathread

I just picked up my Rivian R1S today and the 21’s are also Pirelli‘s although no where near the same low profile as the 21’s on my Lucid. Will be heading to America’s Tire tomorrow to get the road hazard certificate ($65/each). I’m not going to tempt fate!
Do be sure to give us a comparison of it and the Lucid air if you have time!

Thanks to @Bobby and others, took my now 5 day old (to me) 2023 Touring with 21" Pirellis into Discount Tire for the so-called tire certificates. Took all of five minutes. They did not put the car on a lift. The young man totally knew the procedure without any prompting. His first comment, "very wise to get certificates on 21" Pirellis -- I see more issues with Pirelli than other tires"

As he is calculating the cost of my certificates, he looks up and says to me: "I bet the guy behind you wish he had certificates." Confused, I turn around and lo and behold, a flat bed is right behind me with a new Lucid Black Air, with a flat left front tire and bad wheel rash. I first guessed it was 21s with Pirellis, but quickly noticed it had 20" and the Michelins. I ask the tow driver: POTHOLE??. He said the owner told him he went "flying over a curb." Then in unison, the DT salesman and the tow driver say: no tire does well over curbs. How true - ask my wife how I we ......

The cost for my certificates were $81 each for the fronts and $89 each for the rear, total with tax $372. He walked me through the procedure: He puts in the system as if I buying four new tires for THAT car, THAT day. He then tells the system that I also wanted certificates. System spits out a number for the replacement warranty. In the old days, the certificates were fixed price, he said. (I think it was $60) Now, it is based on the replacement cost of the tire. Makes sense, why should a replacement certificate for a $472 tire be the same as a $125 Uniroyal?

I know that @Bobby and @borski and others have made comments of their "luck" so far with 21" Pirellis. And I worried if they were tempting fate. This morning, it was as if FATE was telling me I DID THE RIGHT DAMN THING GETTING THE CERTIFICATES.
Mine was $382. I am in Scottsdale so I don't know if different states have different pricing?

Mine was $382. I am in Scottsdale so I don't know if different states have different pricing?
I am guessing so, from what I have seen everyone that reports on this forum pays either about $280 or $370-80. I even asked the guy about the old days of $65. He walked me through the screens of what he had to do. Told me how he has to do a simulated replica tire purchase package for the exact tires on the car at today's prices. Had to be priced out with the same Pirelli Lucid designated tires. He even is required to put in all the misc stuff, like state tire disposal fees, taxes, balancing. Only then can he click the box for hazard warranty. Makes sense, you are warranting a full R&R replacement of a wrecked tire. Not just handing you a new tire.

Guessing it also has to do with state insurance regulations. Maybe CA allows fixed price and AZ and CO requires it be based on something like cost. I thought it was fair, especially after seeing the week old car behind me. The wheel was toast as well.

For most other people, he said, it was quick and easy since he just sold them a set of tires and services, all the tires prices were in the invoice, and he just could click a box for the warranty.

I’m not sure. It seems that the post above was the only one that was more than what I said. As far as I know, everyone else except that owner had the same price that I did. Yes, I believe it lasts three years. In my case that will be well longer than the lifespan of the tires.
Today was the first real work day in the five days I have had my Touring. Never bought a DT hazard certificate in 35 years of doing business with DT. Today, I was there at 7 am when they opened!

I’m not sure. It seems that the post above was the only one that was more than what I said. As far as I know, everyone else except that owner had the same price that I did. Yes, I believe it lasts three years. In my case that will be well longer than the lifespan of the tires.
I did have to pay more.

Today was the first real work day in the five days I have had my Touring. Never bought a DT hazard certificate in 35 years of doing business with DT. Today, I was there at 7 am when they opened!
1688617359223.png

Polar 🐼 and Juno 🐻‍❄️

@Bobby , I think I may know the reason for the $280 vs 380 cost difference for DT certificates from CA to AZ and CO. From posts here, it appears DT in some states just warrant the tire: they just give you a raw replacement (or refund I think).and you pay for all else. In CO, the full replacement is covered: R&R, mounting balancing etc. The salesman said to me yesterday if I blew the oem tire, they would put the exact same tire on at no cost.

@Bobby , I think I may know the reason for the $280 vs 380 cost difference for DT certificates from CA to AZ and CO. From posts here, it appears DT in some states just warrant the tire: they just give you a raw replacement (or refund I think).and you pay for all else. In CO, the full replacement is covered: R&R, mounting balancing etc. The salesman said to me yesterday if I blew the oem tire, they would put the exact same tire on at no cost.
Mine also includes labor for the $288.

I think it varies by state. All the California folks here seem to have paid $288
Polar 🐼 and Juno 🐻‍❄️ paid $265 for the DT certificate in Orange California

This could be THE ONE AND ONLY thing that is cheaper in California, beside wine and oranges.

Mine also includes labor for the $288.
Just purchased the same for my Rivian Pirelli's today (Calif). I confirmed that labor is included and you only need to purchase a new warranty on the replacement tire. Tire rotations are also included. In my Lucid's case, not applicable for 21s!

Mine was $288
I think I found the reason for the differe
My total was actually $247.50

Mystery solved. My reciept is virtually the same, but shows $82 and 90, f&r each. Tires were each $10 more. Obviously, it's all market priced.

The closest Discount Tire center to me is over 50 miles away in a different state. Is there another source with comparable offerings in the Washington, DC area?
America’s Tire

Back