Thumping while charging

nevadagame

Cars
Taycan Turbo, BMW iX, C8
I know this may sound odd, but I currently have 3100 miles on my air GT and I’ve had little to no problems from any system on the car. I love this car but today while plugged into Electrify America I am getting a fairly loud physical, thumping coming from Underneath of the car while charging thump, thump and then 30 seconds later thump thump, it literally shakes the car so it’s not minor nor my imagination has anyone experienced this it’s almost scary, what is it?

I know this may sound odd, but I currently have 3100 miles on my air GT and I’ve had little to no problems from any system on the car. I love this car but today while plugged into Electrify America I am getting a fairly loud physical, thumping coming from Underneath of the car while charging thump, thump and then 30 seconds later thump thump, it literally shakes the car so it’s not minor nor my imagination has anyone experienced this it’s almost scary, what is it?
Similar to this?
https://lucidowners.com/threads/car-physically-lurches-while-charging-at-ea-signet-chargers.5549/

Couldn’t open link, it doesn’t surge, but it definitely thumps at first I thought there was someone in the trunk, of course there wasn’t an after about 15 minutes of charging it’s stopped, but a sound, and a feeling like someone were inside the trunk, hitting the trunk lid from the inside with their hand and you could feel the car jump a little each time

Hi, @nevadagame.

Thank you for sharing. I just dropped you DM.

There is one more unusual thing happening during charging any that is for the first 5 or 6 minutes of a charge the kw rate or change jumps wildly from 40’s to 140’s and in between up and down 20-30 times before is settles down usually about 1/2 of chargers capacity ( less than I hoped) 70 degrees 40% battery. No reason to throttle amount?

There is one more unusual thing happening during charging any that is for the first 5 or 6 minutes of a charge the kw rate or change jumps wildly from 40’s to 140’s and in between up and down 20-30 times before is settles down usually about 1/2 of chargers capacity ( less than I hoped) 70 degrees 40% battery. No reason to throttle amount?
That is a known problem with the Signet chargers. I believe Lucid and EA are working to try and find a solution. However, this also happens with other BEV's as well on the Signet chargers.

I have had all those ”ARTIFACTS” while charging. My latest is a loud 60hz hum while charging. I have called Lucid customer service and requested that they log the observations. The Lucid drives and charges great. I just feel these observations deserve some investigation. And yes, the car does shutter at times when these noted events happen. Not always but random and somewhat discouraging.

I have had all those ”ARTIFACTS” while charging. My latest is a loud 60hz hum while charging. I have called Lucid customer service and requested that they log the observations. The Lucid drives and charges great. I just feel these observations deserve some investigation. And yes, the car does shutter at times when these noted events happen. Not always but random and somewhat discouraging.
The hum is normal, it'll get worse as the weather heats up. Just the cooling pumps working that glycol.

I understand, I frequently use the same EA chargers and have two other BEV’s. BMW iX and ionic 5 and neither have this issue on the same chargers, Will there be a “fix” for my car? Is there any likelihood it will get worse or fail? As I said before, my 2800 mile road trip is 5 weeks away!? Also, is this connected to the thumping?

The hum is normal, it'll get worse as the weather heats up. Just the cooling pumps working that glycol.
Thank you. Lucid did not tell me why the noise was present. They just told me that it was normal. I should have inquired, so really it falls on me for not knowing. Now I know. Just odd that it is hit and miss. No consistency.

Thank you. Lucid did not tell me why the noise was present. They just told me that it was normal. I should have inquired, so really it falls on me for not knowing. Now I know. Just odd that it is hit and miss. No consistency.
It's highly dependent on temp and more specifically the temp if the HV battery. You will notice it more during hot days and longer charging sessions.

I understand, I frequently use the same EA chargers and have two other BEV’s. BMW iX and ionic 5 and neither have this issue on the same chargers, Will there be a “fix” for my car? Is there any likelihood it will get worse or fail? As I said before, my 2800 mile road trip is 5 weeks away!? Also, is this connected to the thumping?
No idea if it's related to the thumping, but it happens on all 800-900V cars on Signet EA chargers. Not every time, but sometimes. Happens on my wife's Ioniq 5 too.

EA is working on a fix, and Lucid has actually spent weeks at their HQ to try and help them diagnose the issue, even leaving a car there as a testbed. It isn't an issue Lucid can fix, unfortunately, but EA has to (and will).

Back