The terror capability of EVs.

Cosmo Cruz

Verified Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cars
2022 Air GT: Cos/Cruz
DE Number
I heard something that has me concerned. I am against "self-driving" EVs because they scare me. If one doesn't want to drive take a bus / train . First time I rode a self-driving vehicle was the BART from Walnut Grove to San Francisco. It was spooky and cool. I was not afraid. This was the early 80s ???

Will Smith (I, Robot) understands the danger of a China-chipped EV that can be controlled remotely. A swarm of EVs summoned by a terrorists to block the George Washington bridge or drive into the refineries in N. Jersey.... this is not science fiction ... this is the future of self-driving cars.
1727194649603.webp

or, maybe humanity will be nice going forward; being united in the singularity of slowing climate change.

1727194838109.webp

Agggh. I subscribe to 4 newspapers (NYTimes, WashPost, Phila Inky, Guardian) and have cut back to 3 magazine subscriptions (Atlantic, New Yorker, Mother Jones). If it were a book I'd be able to find my source, but I also listen to several podcasts = it's probably one of them. My son is home for a bit and he's got me listening to this guy: Lex Fridman interviews "Roman Yampolsky: dangers of Superintelligent AI".... a dense and terrifying interview... I also take drugs often and early ... a lot of them. ("Reality is for people who can't handle drugs" = R.Crumb) So, I can't say where I heard this thing about the dangers of "foreign" chips and how embedded they are in our technology. Suffice to say read Asimov or see " I, Robot ".

In my 70+ years of experience... science fiction is not fiction...it's foreshadowing. Asimov is required reading.

PK Dick is fun. Asimov is scary prescient. You can watch " I, Robot" and be entertained, or understanding all you see is gonna happen = terrified.

Winter is coming.

OK ... you young wipersnappers don't seem to be afraid enough of all the things your parents / capitalism have done to f-up the world.

Here's a snippet from the podcast: General AI is predicted to take over in 2026.

Last edited:
Agggh. I subscribe to 4 newspapers (NYTimes, WashPost, Phila Inky, Guardian) and have cut back to 3 magazine subscriptions (Atlantic, New Yorker, Mother Jones). If it were a book I'd be able to find my source, but I also listen to several podcasts = it's probably one of them. My son is home for a bit and he's got me listening to this guy: Lex Fridman interviews "Roman Yampolsky: dangers of Superintelligent AI".... a dense and terrifying interview... I also take drugs often and early ... a lot of them. ("Reality is for people who can't handle drugs" = R.Crumb) So, I can't say where I heard this thing about the dangers of "foreign" chips and how embedded they are in our technology. Suffice to say read Asimov or see " I, Robot ".

In my 70+ years of experience... science fiction is not fiction...it's foreshadowing. Asimov is required reading.

PK Dick is fun. Asimov is scary prescient. You can watch " I, Robot" and be entertained, or understanding all you see is gonna happen = terrified.

Winter is coming.

OK ... you young wipersnappers don't seem to be afraid enough of all the things your parents / capitalism have done to f-up the world.

Here's a snippet from the podcast: General AI is predicted to take over in 2026.
Cosmo, you read a ton! I thought I read a lot, but you've got me beat. I suspect that if you & I ever had a chance to discuss current events, we could entertain each other for quite awhile.. We're generally in the same age bracket so I'm sure you too remember walking to school uphill, both ways in the snow, for a couple of decades.🚶‍♀️🤣

Remember back in the day there were encyclopedias ?
1727259819615.webp

You try to "look something up" and.. on the way see something interesting...2 hours later you are still looking through the books and have forgotten why.

Encyclopedias were an information "internet" in books ... a set of a dozen or more that you could buy one per month. Thing was most people would stop after a few books so it was rare to sell a complete set.

The joke was the German encyclopedia salesman always sold the complete set,

... because all the verbs were in the last volume.

You try to "look something up" and.. on the way see something interesting...2 hours later you are still looking through the books and have forgotten why.

Encyclopedias were an information "internet" in books ... a set of a dozen or more that you could buy one per month. Thing was most people would stop after a few books so it was rare to sell a complete set.

My first set of encyclopedias was "The World Book" when I was 12 years old. It was the most exciting thing my parents had ever bought me, and I, too, spent untold hours going down the rabbit hole of following one article after another, soon forgetting why I started. I do the same thing today with YouTube history and cosmology -- and, of course, automotive -- videos so, as they say, the more things change the more they stay the same.

The joke was the German encyclopedia salesman always sold the complete set,

... because all the verbs were in the last volume.

Huh? I don't get it.

An einem besonders heißen Sommernachmittag im Juli vergangenen Jahres wurde der für einen 38-Jåhrigen sehr jung anheimelnde Andreas einige Stunden nach dem Anschluss an eine vierstündige Autofahrt bei starkem Gewitter von ihm besuchten Theaterstück nur wenige Meter vor dem angrenzenden Supermarkt von einem affenähnlich aussehenden Muskelprotz ins Gesicht geschlagen.

What's so funny about that? 🥴

Hah, the same idea stands with Wikipedia. People have even turned it into a set of games, and further a set of actual studies.

The original joke with Wikipedia was that no matter what random page you start on, it takes six clicks (of links within the article) or fewer to get to Hitler.

The original joke with Wikipedia was that no matter what random page you start on, it takes six clicks (of links within the article) or fewer to get to Hitler.

Like AHC (the American Heroes Channel), which got saddled with the moniker "All Hitler, All the Time".

Winter is coming.

We pretty much do the same newspapers and magazines and, I suspect, I am even older than you. I read all of Asimov, Dick, Heinlein, Van Vogt, etc. as a teenager. A buddy of mine recently went back and reread the Foundation series and he didn't think it held up well to the times but he also reread Stranger in a Strange Land and he thought that held up very well.

But...think about it. Could the robots possibly screw up this planet as badly we humans have?

A buddy of mine recently went back and reread the Foundation series and he didn't think it held up well to the times
Wow, really? I just read it recently (for the first time, I'm a baby) and I really enjoyed it. I grew up reading Asimov's short story collections. It's incredible how much Sci-Fi is derived from those, half of Star Trek is just live action Asimov.

But...think about it. Could the robots possibly screw up this planet as badly we humans have?

There is a debate in the cosmology community regarding the Great Filter theory which holds that, as lifeforms evolve, they begin to engage in behavior that progressively lessens their chances of survival, thus rendering intelligent life in the universe exceedingly rare. The debate centers on the question of whether on this planet the Great Filter already lies behind us or is still ahead of us . . . or whether we are now standing on its threshold.

Query: Which is the most worrisome?

1. Chinese chips

2. Artificial Intelligence

3. A conspiracy-riddled sociopath with $143 billion and 198 million social media followers

There is a debate in the cosmology community regarding the Great Filter theory which holds that, as lifeforms evolve, they begin to engage in behavior that progressively lessens their chances of survival, thus rendering intelligent life in the universe exceedingly rare. The debate centers on the question of whether on this planet the Great Filter already lies behind us or is still ahead of us . . . or whether we are now standing on its threshold.

Query: Which is the most worrisome?

1. Chinese chips

2. Artificial Intelligence

3. A conspiracy-riddled sociopath with $143 billion and 198 million social media followers

Short term #3. Medium-term #2 unless we get into a conflict sooner say over Taiwan. Long term (hopefully it truly is long term) #1.

Weird zeitgeist moment happening to me. Been in the back of my mind to re-read "Stranger..." and now it appears in the strangest of all places.

OK, you folk must listen to and grok this Lex Fridman podcast. Episode 431 with Roman Yampolski "Dangers of super-intelligent AI."

Lex is very smart. His interviews seem low-key, but they are brain-busters. It took me three listens...and i'm still stewing over it. Then again, every podcast of his blows me away. Also, for you guys with whom I share reading preferences...have you been reading-up on "Free Will" ?
Ties in with : " we already are in the Matrix "

ps anyone here play the draft lottery ? 1A # 220

Last edited:
I'm not worried about Artificial Intelligence. It is Artificial Stupidity that worries me. If it is even worse that Human Stupidity we are in trouble.
John Cleese on stupid people

Stupid people don't know they are stupid. They are unaware of the damage they cause to themselves and others and the society.

Self-aware folk have doubt, know they are stupid even if they are expert in their area, and can hem and haw when action is required.

Hence:
Fools rush in where angels fear to tread.

John Cleese on stupid people

Stupid people don't know they are stupid. They are unaware of the damage they cause to themselves and others and the society.

Self-aware folk have doubt, know they are stupid even if they are expert in their area, and can hem and haw when action is required.

Hence:
Fools rush in where angels fear to tread.
My buddy wrote this and I agree with it pretty much in its entirety: http://addxorrol.blogspot.com/2024/07/someone-is-wrong-on-internet-agi-doom.html

We’re nowhere near AGI, and 2026 is a joke.

Just my opinion. Lex interviews a lot of people, and he’s not a bad interviewer. But not all of the people he interviews have good or correct ideas. :)

My buddy wrote this and I agree with it pretty much in its entirety: http://addxorrol.blogspot.com/2024/07/someone-is-wrong-on-internet-agi-doom.html
will read this in a bit: thanks borski. 1727281061580.webp
We’re nowhere near AGI, and 2026 is a joke.
Roman Yampolski in the interview: "I hope you are right!"

borski:
Just my opinion. Lex interviews a lot of people, and he’s not a bad interviewer. But not all of the people he interviews have good or correct ideas. :)

Agree. Someone way smarter than I sends the link to those he thinks I'd like. I have no free-will on this.

1727280100145.webp

super general artificial intelligence:

Row, row, row your boat
gently
down
the
stream
Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily
Life is but a Dream

summing-up my life: "WTF just happened?"

Last edited:

"Q" (the morning after being sentenced to mortality by the Continuum for constant harassment of humans):

It was the most unsettling thing. My limbs went numb. My thoughts blurred. A feeling of death crept over me, and I fell into unconsciousness.

Captain Pickard:

You mean you fell asleep.

Back