Will EA be the death of EVs?

Interesting. In 14 months of ownership and 12000 miles I have NEVER seen a Tesla at any charger other than a Tesla station.. NEVER at EA. Where did you see that?
I’ve seen it at Rancho Penasquiots and Rancho Bernardo here in San Diego several times. I asked the driver in one case and he told me it’s cheaper.

California EA: 48¢ Guest and Pass Members, 36¢ Pass+ Members @ $4 a month
Tesla: Not Published, Quotes: 37-50¢ depending on location and charging rate.

Alabama EA: 1-90kW @ 19¢, 1-350kW @ 37¢ (per minute rates) Guest and Pass Members, 15¢ and 29¢ for Pass+.
Tesla: ~39¢ from a recent experience here in Huntsville. I am not sure about elsewhere.

Conclusion: You are most likely paying less at EA, particularly the per minute stations. I have gotten as low as 7.5¢ vs. 9.5-10¢ at home at a ChargePoint rated at 25¢ per minute and capped at 150kW (if memory serves me correctly), so I would expect similar rates at EA for per minute.

Why anyone would want to pay by the kW is beyond me. The Lucid makes it practically theft with the charging rates it achieves.

So much for “fast charging”…

Only 2nd time at EA in the 8 months I’ve owned my AGT. Had preconditioned battery 20+ mins before getting here, with 27% SOC on arrival.

At least 3 out of the 10 EA stations are down (blank screens).

Plugged into 350kW charger and initially rejected. Appears it was rejected b/c I still had scheduled charging on. Turned that off, and plugged back in. Connected just fine. Frustratingly, charge throttled to about 44 kW, yet it indicated “35 mins” to 80%.

Unplugged and went to a 150kW station. Connected to the car with no issues. But again throttled…this time to 70kW…granted, much better than the 350kW station at 44kW, but oddly indicated over an hour to hit 80% SOC.

So, nowhere near the 150 or 350 rates, and takes twice as long to charge at 70kW vs 44kW?

Or maybe I am completely misunderstanding how this works.

As much as I love my Lucid, I really miss the essentially frictionless and as-dependable-as-a-gas-station Tesla supercharger network. :(

So much for “fast charging”…

Only 2nd time at EA in the 8 months I’ve owned my AGT. Had preconditioned battery 20+ mins before getting here, with 27% SOC on arrival.

At least 3 out of the 10 EA stations are down (blank screens).

Plugged into 350kW charger and initially rejected. Appears it was rejected b/c I still had scheduled charging on. Turned that off, and plugged back in. Connected just fine. Frustratingly, charge throttled to about 44 kW, yet it indicated “35 mins” to 80%.

Unplugged and went to a 150kW station. Connected to the car with no issues. But again throttled…this time to 70kW…granted, much better than the 350kW station at 44kW, but oddly indicated over an hour to hit 80% SOC.

So, nowhere near the 150 or 350 rates, and takes twice as long to charge at 70kW vs 44kW?

Or maybe I am completely misunderstanding how this works.

As much as I love my Lucid, I really miss the essentially frictionless and as-dependable-as-a-gas-station Tesla supercharger network. :(
It’s likely 3 of those units were down for “software updates” which means the whole bank of chargers is going to be throttled. Did you check PlugShare ahead of time to see if other drivers had reported throttled speeds? This is something that affects all cars, not just Lucid. Last month I pulled 172kw off a 150kw charger from 16-48% SOC, and then it followed the Inside EVs curve after that. The problem is EA quite honestly does an abysmal job of reporting ahead of time the status of their chargers, and the fact that their “software updates” take actual weeks of time is lame. Lately I just try to skip EA and use EVGo if there’s any that are quick enough, or else make damn sure the most recent PlugShare comments are just a lot of owners saying it’s slow.

Interesting. In 14 months of ownership and 12000 miles I have NEVER seen a Tesla at any charger other than a Tesla station.. NEVER at EA. Where did you see that?
I almost always see Teslas at the various non- Tesla chargers in town (including EA), even with the 20 stall supercharging lot just around the corner. Just got back from FL and there were 2 teslas at the 4 stall EA I went to there.

Actually scheduled charging is not in effect if you DC Fast Charge (level 3). It only applies to level 1&2 charging, like you do at home. At least that’s what I’ve noticed. I have my scheduled charging starting at 10pm and had no issues charging at 3pm on a DC charger.

Actually scheduled charging is not in effect if you DC Fast Charge (level 3). It only applies to level 1&2 charging, like you do at home. At least that’s what I’ve noticed. I have my scheduled charging starting at 10pm and had no issues charging at 3pm on a DC charger.
Well, then I guess it was a coincidence, and I shouldn’t have given EA a pass on that first fail! 😜

Back