The complete package: EV, solar, battery, and bi-directional charging.

tuccur

Cars
Lucid Air Dream Edition P
DE Number
Does anyone out there have "the complete EV package" which to me is have solar panels, battery storage and EV with bi-directional capabilities? Or, is there anyone here who is making that a goal and researching it? I would love to learn more about it. My original plan was just to do all Tesla because it would be easy. But as I learn it seems that there may be better solar panels, better batteries and connection boxes, etc. Once the door is open to other possibilities it gets really complicated, so many companies, so many products, so many key features and performance ratings, installation, compatibility, etc. It's crazy! Some day I'm gonna have a house special built to be completely electric and powered only by solar and wind.

Does anyone out there have "the complete EV package" which to me is have solar panels, battery storage and EV with bi-directional capabilities? Or, is there anyone here who is making that a goal and researching it? I would love to learn more about it. My original plan was just to do all Tesla because it would be easy. But as I learn it seems that there may be better solar panels, better batteries and connection boxes, etc. Once the door is open to other possibilities it gets really complicated, so many companies, so many products, so many key features and performance ratings, installation, compatibility, etc. It's crazy! Some day I'm gonna have a house special built to be completely electric and powered only by solar and wind.

I have Sunpower panels, Tesla Powerwalls, and will have the Lucid EVSE, although may not have it do bidirectional since I don’t need it thanks to the Powerwalls.

I have solar panels and two Tesla Powerwalls. Just waiting on my Lucid.

I have a large solar system (40 panels), and a small power-wall battery (mostly to keep the computers running). Waiting for the Lucid to complete the V2G.

Unfortunately, regardless of the solar size, with SCE, if they shut off the power, your electricity is off unless you have a battery. That's the only reason I have the powerwall. Else it's a waste of $$

I have a large solar system (40 panels), and a small power-wall battery (mostly to keep the computers running). Waiting for the Lucid to complete the V2G.

Unfortunately, regardless of the solar size, with SCE, if they shut off the power, your electricity is off unless you have a battery. That's the only reason I have the powerwall. Else it's a waste of $$

Well, it’s also useful so you can power your house off the batteries during peak hours and send as much solar back to the grid as possible at peak rates. Doesn’t matter as much in the winter for me since peak and non-peak only differ by a cent (in fact they don’t even cycle during the winter months because it would cost more than it saves due to efficiency loss) but during the summer it’s significant, even though “peak” starts at 3 or 4pm.

It of course depends on your NEM rates, etc.

Well, it’s also useful so you can power your house off the batteries during peak hours and send as much solar back to the grid as possible at peak rates. Doesn’t matter as much in the winter for me since peak and non-peak only differ by a cent (in fact they don’t even cycle during the winter months because it would cost more than it saves due to efficiency loss) but during the summer it’s significant, even though “peak” starts at 3 or 4pm.

It of course depends on your NEM rates, etc.
I was told that SCE does not allow you to use your battery as a power source only as an emergency backup.

I was told that SCE does not allow you to use your battery as a power source only as an emergency backup.

That is likely correct. We configured the powerwall as a UPS unit, mostly just to keep my servers running - it's not enough to power my house

That is likely correct. We configured the powerwall as a UPS unit, mostly just to keep my servers running - it's not enough to power my house

Based on what I’m reading on SCE’s website and on SunRun’s, that doesn’t appear to be true.

It’s definitely not true for PGE.

Notice the wording is only when there is no grid power. SCE doesn't allow you to use the stored power during peak hours and charge it back up in off peak or through solar. Essentially, with SCE your batteries are only for downtime.

Nope. From the very same site I linked:

How does a customer export stored energy to the grid?
The solar and energy storage system controller is generally programmed by the installer to direct the energy to the appropriate system to maximize the customer’s rate plan to offset Time-Of-Use time periods. There is a loading order; first, the solar energy is used for onsite usage, any excess goes to the energy storage until it is full, then any excess after that will be exported to the grid.

Do energy storage customers receive NEM credits for storage exports that are sent back to the power grid?
Yes. For paired-storage (PS) systems less than 10 kW, NEM credits are capped in accordance with the NEM PS estimation methodology, as described in the NEM Successor Tariff. For systems over 10 kW, a Net Generation Output Meter (NGOM) must be installed to properly meter the generation of the system and distinguish any energy exported to the grid specifically from the battery component.

Nope. From the very same site I linked:

How does a customer export stored energy to the grid?
The solar and energy storage system controller is generally programmed by the installer to direct the energy to the appropriate system to maximize the customer’s rate plan to offset Time-Of-Use time periods. There is a loading order; first, the solar energy is used for onsite usage, any excess goes to the energy storage until it is full, then any excess after that will be exported to the grid.

Do energy storage customers receive NEM credits for storage exports that are sent back to the power grid?
Yes. For paired-storage (PS) systems less than 10 kW, NEM credits are capped in accordance with the NEM PS estimation methodology, as described in the NEM Successor Tariff. For systems over 10 kW, a Net Generation Output Meter (NGOM) must be installed to properly meter the generation of the system and distinguish any energy exported to the grid specifically from the battery component.

Another case study: https://www.solarpowerworldonline.c...alyzing-sces-new-tou-rates-with-solarstorage/

Hmm, I specifically asked my solar installer if we could do that exact scenario, where the battery is charged during the day via solar and then use the battery stored energy during peak times to offset the bill and they told me that SCE does not allow that setup.

Hmm, I specifically asked my solar installer if we could do that exact scenario, where the battery is charged during the day via solar and then use the battery stored energy during peak times to offset the bill and they told me that SCE does not allow that setup.

I would get a second opinion. Not trying to question you, but that is not what I’m seeing in their rules.

Too late now! Can always add battery later, but I have this awesome 118kwh battery pack I can drive around in the meantime..lol

Notice the wording is only when there is no grid power. SCE doesn't allow you to use the stored power during peak hours and charge it back up in off peak or through solar. Essentially, with SCE your batteries are only for downtime.
That’s pretty frustrating. Is there a reason for this beyond money? Why would they not want you to use battery during peak? Or, even contribute back to the grid during peak?

That’s pretty frustrating. Is there a reason for this beyond money? Why would they not want you to use battery during peak? Or, even contribute back to the grid during peak?
You said it, $$. Just using sample rates here, if I can buy power at $0.10/kwh (super off-peak) and then sell it back at $0.35/kwh(peak) they are losing $2.50 every day from just me.

It sounded to good to be true, which is why it's not. It may change when SCE is no longer required to buy back the electricity at the rate you send it back into the grid though.

I have 2 Tesla Powerwalls, TFS solar system and a Tesla M3LR with dedicated Tesla Home Charger. Being in Tucson and, on Trico coop electrical grid, I sell them my excess at around 7 cents only to buy back at around 13 cents but my annual electrical cost is less than $245 so I am happy. System is coming up on almost two years. Tried to purchased two additional Powerwalls but Tesla now requires you to have Tesla (Solar City) solar in order to buy the additional Powerwalls.
Test drive of AGT scheduled in Scottsdale, then confirm order and 2-6 months to get vehicle. I am researching home charging now. Not fond of Lucid bi-directional system. I spent many years in the aerospace industry and battery & battery systems remain our main obstacles. Battery technology is evolving fast and includes cell sustainability along with faster charging and longer ranges.

You said it, $$. Just using sample rates here, if I can buy power at $0.10/kwh (super off-peak) and then sell it back at $0.35/kwh(peak) they are losing $2.50 every day from just me.

It sounded to good to be true, which is why it's not. It may change when SCE is no longer required to buy back the electricity at the rate you send it back into the grid though.
I would love to play energy arbitrage here in SD. Our differential is even larger from a super off peak of about 11 cents to an on-peak at 65.

Back