Tesla wall charger to Lucid set up

Bthegreek

Cars
Tesla S, Y and 3
Hello everyone!

After being with Tesla since 2014 (6 different cars ) I decided that time has come for a change. I leased a 2024 Lucid touring coming next week !
I have a Tesla Wall charger in the garage and I was wondering if anyone is using an adapter to charge their Lucid and keep the same set up . My wall charger is providing 48A .Please provide specifics on type / brand etc .

Thank you all in advance

Very excited to get my car !,,

Bobby

Hello everyone!

After being with Tesla since 2014 (6 different cars ) I decided that time has come for a change. I leased a 2024 Lucid touring coming next week !
I have a Tesla Wall charger in the garage and I was wondering if anyone is using an adapter to charge their Lucid and keep the same set up . My wall charger is providing 48A .Please provide specifics on type / brand etc .

Thank you all in advance

Very excited to get my car !,,

Bobby
Just buy a TeslaTap 80 amp and use that for home charging and take it with you on roadtrips for destination charging.

Agree. I have a Tesla Wall Adapter at home, wired for 100Amp (100A circuit breaker and appropriate wiring, charger DIP switches set to 80A delivery), and I bought the relatively expensive 80A TeslaTap Mini (https://www.umc-j1772.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=160) for the Lucid. It works great, and charges as fast as you'll ever see from an AC charger. My wife thinks it's odd that her Tesla on the Tesla charger doesn't charge as fast as my Lucid on her Tesla charger.

The Lectron is UL listed, which is nice, but can't handle the 80 amps provided by some older Tesla destination chargers.

The Lectron is UL listed, which is nice, but can't handle the 80 amps provided by some older Tesla destination chargers.
There are 80 amp destination chargers? I wonder how many of those are still in operation. The Santana Row Mall in Santa Clara has some older destination chargers in their parking garage, and more than half of them are broken. I don't think they last that long with heavy usage.

There are 80 amp destination chargers? I wonder how many of those are still in operation. The Santana Row Mall in Santa Clara has some older destination chargers in their parking garage, and more than half of them are broken. I don't think they last that long with heavy usage.
I used some in Mammoth last fall. They're old but still present. My 80-amp TeslaTap Mini got extremely hot on one of them. I think the charger's pins were worn or the cable partially broken. I recommended on my review form that they all be replaced, but I imagine that bit of help will go into the bit bucket.

Thank you very much everyone!
I placed the order for the teslatap…

I used some in Mammoth last fall. They're old but still present. My 80-amp TeslaTap Mini got extremely hot on one of them. I think the charger's pins were worn or the cable partially broken. I recommended on my review form that they all be replaced, but I imagine that bit of help will go into the bit bucket.
They released a “Lightning” version that fixes this, fwiw. I had a confusing email conversation with them where they tried to explain that both were safe for 80A continuous, but the 80A was originally meant to be safe for 64A continuous and happens to be safe at 80A, whereas the “Lightning” version is built to support 80A continuous on a 100A line.

I just kept the 80A to avoid the hassle, but yeah, it’s a bit confusing. According to them, either will work fine.

They released a “Lightning” version that fixes this, fwiw. I had a confusing email conversation with them where they tried to explain that both were safe for 80A continuous, but the 80A was originally meant to be safe for 64A continuous and happens to be safe at 80A, whereas the “Lightning” version is built to support 80A continuous on a 100A line.

I just kept the 80A to avoid the hassle, but yeah, it’s a bit confusing. According to them, either will work fine.
Ah, thanks. I was wondering about that. I have the OG "kind of 80amp" "too tight to work" Teslatap mini, and also bought the subsequent "kind of 80 amp" "fits OK" version. I should have bought the new "we really mean 80 amps this time" "fits OK" version!

Adapters are really in the wild-west stage right now. I was impressed by Tom M's recent video interview of the president of Lectron - a competent, safety, standards-oriented guy.

Ah, thanks. I was wondering about that. I have the OG "kind of 80amp" "too tight to work" Teslatap mini, and also bought the subsequent "kind of 80 amp" "fits OK" version. I should have bought the new "we really mean 80 amps this time" "fits OK" version!

Adapters are really in the wild-west stage right now. I was impressed by Tom M's recent video interview of the president of Lectron - a competent, safety, standards-oriented guy.
That’s exactly the same flow I went through, similarly not buying the Lightning version lmao.

And yes, Lectron and TeslaTap are the only aftermarket adapters I’d buy. The TeslaTap guy isn’t necessarily the nicest of guys (we emailed like three times, so I’m being a little unfair here; I don’t know him), but knows his stuff.

That’s exactly the same flow I went through, similarly not buying the Lightning version lmao.

And yes, Lectron and TeslaTap are the only aftermarket adapters I’d buy. The TeslaTap guy isn’t necessarily the nicest of guys (we emailed like three times, so I’m being a little unfair here; I don’t know him), but knows his stuff.
The lectron doesn't have that extra chip though, right? Which is why I got the Teslatap.

The lectron doesn't have that extra chip though, right? Which is why I got the Teslatap.
True. That’s why I got the TeslaTap as well. But all that really means is that it’s a little bit more annoying of a UX; there is an order to plug things in and whatnot. The other catch is that you can’t charge at stations that limit you to only charging Teslas, but I have literally never run into anyone that has ever set that option.

Is anybody concerned about voiding their warranty or causing damage to the battery or charging port long-term with an aftermarket adapter? When I was purchasing my lucid, I was inquiring about adapters as I have a Tesla wall charger already and the sales rep said that it would void the warranty, and could possibly cause damage to the Battery but more likely to the charging port itself. Thoughts?

Is anybody concerned about voiding their warranty or causing damage to the battery or charging port long-term with an aftermarket adapter? When I was purchasing my lucid, I was inquiring about adapters as I have a Tesla wall charger already and the sales rep said that it would void the warranty, and could possibly cause damage to the Battery but more likely to the charging port itself. Thoughts?
Not really worried. They have to say it but there are also some really shitty adapters out there.

I have not seen A Tesla 80A L2 so far anywhere I was when I looked. Where are they in CA?

I have not seen A Tesla 80A L2 so far anywhere I was when I looked. Where are they in CA?
There are for sure 2 at the Homewood Suites in Reno 😁

At least five at The Village Lodge Mammoth.
Most Tesla L2 will be "destination chargers" at a hotel.

he could be a very misinformed sales rep.

he could be a very misinformed sales rep.
Asked that very question and service advisor told me to be careful because a customer used an adapter, bricked his battery, voided warranty and $10k to replace. That prompted a ton of doubt but thought best to ask here first.

Back