Cars
Dream P
DE Number
Referral Code
R0YBCKIJ
Is this normal?!?!?

Screenshot_20220521-202236_rif is fun.jpg

Yea, I guess it's not a safety requirement? Haha

I don’t understand what is wrong with normal mechanical door handles. It seems like everyone is trying their best to come up with something much much worse, more complicated and easier to fail.

-Tesla: has mechanical release for front which is ok. Rear there is actually a mechanical release mechanism but it’s hidden below a small access panel at bottom of door pocket. If you have spent the money on engineering and installing a means of mechanical release why not make it usable in case of emergency???!!!
-Ford: What is going on with Mach E? To enter you need two steps- press a button and then pull on awkward permanent pull in a separate location. How is this arrangement better than a door handle and 1-step process!? For rear doors there isn’t even a pull- push button, the door pops out 3/4” then slide fingers into the gap between door and body and pull the metal door edge hoping your fingers don’t get crushed. ?!? The interior releases are a little chintzy but they seem to work ok.
-Corvette & Cadillac CTS 2-door: Emergency door release is on the floor. That is intuitive and easy to find! Maybe they figure in a vehicle fire smoke will rise so it will be easy to see down there ?!?
-Every rental car: Why does it seem like 50% of the time the rear child locks are on when I pickup and need to spend time figuring out how to turn them off?!! Are child locks a relic from the pre-seatbelt days? I’ve never used them with my kid and would be far more worried about him being trapped inside unable to escape if I was incapacitated in a crash than him jumping out of the moving car.

Seems like manufacturers are not really understanding what doors are for these days. Building codes have pretty rigorous requirements to minimize chance of occupants getting trapped in an emergency and to maximize accessibility for the public. Automotive regulations don’t seem to.

Well the good thing is rhe Lucid mechanical door release is built into the normal one.

I don’t understand what is wrong with normal mechanical door handles. It seems like everyone is trying their best to come up with something much much worse, more complicated and easier to fail.

-Tesla: has mechanical release for front which is ok. Rear there is actually a mechanical release mechanism but it’s hidden below a small access panel at bottom of door pocket. If you have spent the money on engineering and installing a means of mechanical release why not make it usable in case of emergency???!!!
-Ford: What is going on with Mach E? To enter you need two steps- press a button and then pull on awkward permanent pull in a separate location. How is this arrangement better than a door handle and 1-step process!? For rear doors there isn’t even a pull- push button, the door pops out 3/4” then slide fingers into the gap between door and body and pull the metal door edge hoping your fingers don’t get crushed. ?!? The interior releases are a little chintzy but they seem to work ok.
-Corvette & Cadillac CTS 2-door: Emergency door release is on the floor. That is intuitive and easy to find! Maybe they figure in a vehicle fire smoke will rise so it will be easy to see down there ?!?
-Every rental car: Why does it seem like 50% of the time the rear child locks are on when I pickup and need to spend time figuring out how to turn them off?!! Are child locks a relic from the pre-seatbelt days? I’ve never used them with my kid and would be far more worried about him being trapped inside unable to escape if I was incapacitated in a crash than him jumping out of the moving car.

Seems like manufacturers are not really understanding what doors are for these days. Building codes have pretty rigorous requirements to minimize chance of occupants getting trapped in an emergency and to maximize accessibility for the public. Automotive regulations don’t seem to.
Curious kids in new cars make child locks necessary. I never used child locks as my kids couldn't reach the door pulls when in their carseats in my Sienna, but when we rented a car in Maui my daughter opened the car door while we were driving down a fast road. Freaked me the hell out. Also, every single time one of my kid's friends are in the AGT for the first time I hear "no! don't pull that!" from one of my kids. Seems even teenagers could use child locks!

Well the good thing is rhe Lucid mechanical door release is built into the normal one.
Yea very clever design and passengers love the door handles. Also have not had someone confused about how to get out of the car unlike my Tesla. That is a surprise to me considering it is unique as well.

Back