Tesla Model X Plaid

MoniputerLM

Verified Owner
Supporting Member
Cars
Dream Edition Performance
DE Number
I drove a Model X Plaid and was very impressed.

Disclaimers:
1. I don't want a Tesla, don't like the interiors.
2. I like the DE extra range
3. This is just my opinion so no need to comment that I am wrong and you like your Lucid better. ;)

I am very impressed with the Model X Plaid power train. The drive modes adjust the power, brakes, steering and suspension, similar to the C8 Corvette. The accelerator pedal is very smooth, better that the DE. There is no motor whine and no "clunk" when you let off of the brakes. When you let off the accelerator a little, you get a little re-gen braking. When you let off the accelerator a lot, you get a more re-gen braking. Much less jarring than the DE. Very nice to drive, better than my DE, in my opinion. I hope that Lucid can tweak the power train with software and make it smoother.

Disclaimers:
3. This is just my opinion so no need to comment that I am wrong and you like your Lucid better. ;)

I am very impressed with the Model X Plaid power train. The drive modes adjust the power, brakes, steering and suspension, similar to the C8 Corvette. The accelerator pedal is very smooth, better that the DE. There is no motor whine and no "clunk" when you let off of the brakes. When you let off the accelerator a little, you get a little re-gen braking. When you let off the accelerator a lot, you get a more re-gen braking. Much less jarring than the DE. Very nice to drive, better than my DE, in my opinion. I hope that Lucid can tweak the power train with software and make it smoother.
You're wrong!

You are wrong and you like your DE better. 😂

In all seriousness, if you like the driving experience better, why don’t you trade your Lucid for a Plaid? it’s less expensive and also has a better charging network.

You are wrong and you like your DE better. 😂

In all seriousness, if you like the driving experience better, why don’t you trade your Lucid for a Plaid? it’s less expensive and also has a better charging network.
If I wanted a Tesla, I would have bought one. I don't want one. I was just surprised that it drove so nice.

He has to get to 4500 posts somehow 🤣
Maybe, but the forum is here to share information, just trying to do that. And bitch about how bad the software is in my car, whenever I can! ;)

I think the Lucid is the closest thing that has come to match / beat Tesla on efficiency and quality but most cars beat Tesla on quality tbh. The supercharger network, no one can compete with but from a car perspective, Lucid does give Tesla a run for its money.

Time will tell if the brand takes off or not.

I think both Lucid Air and Tesla Model X have the coolest futuristic styling out there. I almost got Model X as my first EV, but in the end I went with Air GT bc of more wow factor to me and I always like to root for underdogs to succeed for their valor. If I can change my carbon footprint with EV, so can I change the world with my money. I want to see innovation and variety, not monotonous world like in science fiction movies.

Disclaimers:

The clunk of the lucid is a pretty distinguishing feature lol. But I'm confused when you say "when you let off the accelerator a little, you get a little re-gen braking. When you let off the accelerator a lot, you get a more re-gen braking," isn't that exactly what the lucid does? After my first couple drives, I've never found the experience particularly jarring but I've actually come to appreciate the fact that the strong regen can even act as a "sudden brake" if I want it to in almost every situation except those where you REALLY need to slam on the brakes.

Have you been able to compare an MX plaid vs an MS plaid?

I was really surprised how aggressive the "high" regen braking was on my GT test drive, but I know it will be something I will really use and appreciate once I get to drive the car full-time. I had always driven my Tesla on its most agressive setting, but in the last few months it didn't seem to "stop" my car nearly as quickly as before, no matter how I gauged/timed my "stops." One-pedal driving is one of my favorite features on EVs. I'm back to driving my old stick shift till my GT arrives near the end of the year, so it's been an adjustment.

Once you get used to the Air’s strong regen I can’t imagine how Tesla could be better? What you’re describing the Model X does sounds like what my Air GT does. Am I missing something? Nothing is jarring as long as I don’t let off the pedal quick, but that’s when I need to stop quick which is gonna be jarring in any car.

Once you get used to the Air’s strong regen I can’t imagine how Tesla could be better? What you’re describing the Model X does sounds like what my Air GT does. Am I missing something? Nothing is jarring as long as I don’t let off the pedal quick, but that’s when I need to stop quick which is gonna be jarring in any car.
I only drove the Air for 45 minutes, but I drive a Model 3 every day. The way I would describe the difference: The Lucid is more sensitive to very minor changes in pressure. As a result, you have to be a bit more attentive to your foot pressure than you do on the Tesla. This could result, I imagine, over long trips, in more fatigue, trying to get that right foot to the exact balance of acceleration you want. (Unless you use cruise control, of course, where it won't matter.)

But it felt to me like I was more connected to the Air as a result of the extra sensitivity.

The Tesla lets you be a bit more lazy, in other words. Micro fluctuations in your foot pressure don't do much of anything. But let up a bit more, and you will slow down; let up fully, and it will still stop you. Just not as quick. I tend to have to actually use my brakes now and then with the Tesla. I can imagine just about never needing to touch the break on the Lucid.

The clunk of the lucid is a pretty distinguishing feature lol. But I'm confused when you say "when you let off the accelerator a little, you get a little re-gen braking. When you let off the accelerator a lot, you get a more re-gen braking," isn't that exactly what the lucid does? After my first couple drives, I've never found the experience particularly jarring but I've actually come to appreciate the fact that the strong regen can even act as a "sudden brake" if I want it to in almost every situation except those where you REALLY need to slam on the brakes.

Have you been able to compare an MX plaid vs an MS plaid?
The accelerator in the X seems smoother. When I let off the pedal it has a lighter touch and seems easier to modulate. The re-gen seems to be tied to how much you let off the pedal. If you take your foot off the accelerator, then you get the full re-gen. Once you drive the Telsa you notice the difference. The accelerator in my wife's AMG EQS feels heavier that the Tesla but lighter than the Lucid.

I have not driven a MS Plaid. My son has the MX Plaid and I drove it. He drove my Lucid for several weeks before getting the Telsa and also notices the different driving characteristics.

I am sure that Lucid will tweak the drive train as time goes by,

In this in a specific drive mode i.e.smooth vs smooth or just an overall throttle behavior?

In this in a specific drive mode i.e.smooth vs smooth or just an overall throttle behavior?
Not sure how the drive modes work in the Tesla. I will drive it again and spend more time observing. The throttle behavior is different, lighter and smoother pedal feel.

Not sure how the drive modes work in the Tesla. I will drive it again and spend more time observing. The throttle behavior is different, lighter and smoother pedal feel.
Yea smooth mode in the DE feels heavy, that's why I drive in swift!

Yea smooth mode in the DE feels heavy, that's why I drive in swift!
Why would you need anything other than swift? 😂

I thought the braking/regen of the Lucid was universally reviewed very well, if not industry leading... Not just on the forums, but all the publications and videos.

Back