Tesla lays off Supercharger team

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm embarrassed I don't know this, but can someone answer the basic question? Was Lucid, is Lucid, planning to make it possible for us to use Tesla superchargers?

If so, does Musk's latest craziness set that back? Adding the Tesla superchargers to our set of possible charging stations would make a huge difference.

I'm embarrassed I don't know this, but can someone answer the basic question? Was Lucid, is Lucid, planning to make it possible for us to use Tesla superchargers?

If so, does Musk's latest craziness set that back? Adding the Tesla superchargers to our set of possible charging stations would make a huge difference.
Lucid is switching to NACS in 2025 with access to the Supercharger network. Seems them, along with Hyundai were the later ones to sign up due to both companies having 800v+ platforms and Tesla promising V4 1000v chargers were coming.

Now the V4 rollout seems up in the air so for now it’s all a “watch this space”

Lucid is switching to NACS in 2025 with access to the Supercharger network. Seems them, along with Hyundai were the later ones to sign up due to both companies having 800v+ platforms and Tesla promising V4 1000v chargers were coming.

Now the V4 rollout seems up in the air so for now it’s all a “watch this space”
If I was head of any of the brands that have decided to switch to NACS, I would keep shipping adapters until this situation is more clear and hold off transitioning to the NACS connector on the vehicle.

No way.. he fired the team behind the brakes!

(/s)

The problem with charging networks and Lucid doing one is that I just don’t think they are a good business. And the last thing Lucid needs is a giant money pit of a side business right now.
I agree. Do the math. Even at $.50/KWh there is very little operating margin in running a charging network considering all costs. It is a loss leader to sell vehicles.

I know this might be an unpopular view point, but am I the only one who thinks that there might be more to the story than the headline? Is it even possible that we know 1/10th of the story and none of the back story and the strategy moving forward? Elon operates 3 moves ahead of the masses and I find it really hard to believe that right now he is sitting in his lair, laughing uncontrollably as he sips the tears of Jim Farley.

All I’m saying is that it might be too early to open the “I told you so” Champagne.

I know this might be an unpopular view point, but am I the only one who thinks that there might be more to the story than the headline? Is it even possible that we know 1/10th of the story and none of the back story and the strategy moving forward? Elon operates 3 moves ahead of the masses and I find it really hard to believe that right now he is sitting in his lair, laughing uncontrollably as he sips the tears of Jim Farley.

All I’m saying is that it might be too early to open the “I told you so” Champagne.
Correct, he moves three steps ahead of the rest of us. An example is that while we only know he fired the supercharger team, he is three steps ahead of us as he knows the next three divisions to fire; the software guys, then all the assembly workers, and finally, he will fire the entire C suite except him!! What a genius, always thinking for the future..

Correct, he moves three steps ahead of the rest of us. An example is that while we only know he fired the supercharger team, he is three steps ahead of us as he knows the next three divisions to fire; the software guys, then all the assembly workers, and finally, he will fire the entire C suite except him!! What a genius, always thinking for the future..
Fair, but I’m just offering the possibility that there is more to the story that doesn’t end with his scrapping the Supercharger network. These are extraordinarily difficult times for this industry and maybe, just maybe he is taking actions that aren’t sinister. The good news is that we will know the full story before long.

Fair, but I’m just offering the possibility that there is more to the story that doesn’t end with his scrapping the Supercharger network. These are extraordinarily difficult times for this industry and maybe, just maybe he is taking actions that aren’t sinister. The good news is that we will know the full story before long.
As a friend, Tesla driver, and general fan of the company told me today “If it were any other CEO, I’d consider there was more to this than meets the eye.”

The fact is, whatever Elon was in the distant past, he’s demonstrated plenty recently that he’s mostly driven these days by whimsy, spite, and thoughtless impulse.

The media still thinks there’s 3D chess going on. That’s beyond wishful thinking from folks who are way too heavily invested in a stock that is headed for an inevitable downfall.

He does whatever he thinks suits him best at this very moment, with zero thought given to who it hurts or what the long term impact is. It’s not sinister. Sinister implies a strategy of some kind.

There is no three steps ahead. If Twitter doesn’t prove that to you, I don’t know what will.

As a friend, Tesla driver, and general fan of the company told me today “If it were any other CEO, I’d consider there was more to this than meets the eye.”

The fact is, whatever Elon was in the distant past, he’s demonstrated plenty recently that he’s mostly driven these days by whimsy, spite, and thoughtless impulse.

The media still thinks there’s 3D chess going on. That’s beyond wishful thinking from folks who are way too heavily invested in a stock that is headed for an inevitable downfall.

He does whatever he thinks suits him best at this very moment, with zero thought given to who it hurts or what the long term impact is. It’s not sinister. Sinister implies a strategy of some kind.

There is no three steps ahead. If Twitter doesn’t prove that to you, I don’t know what will.
I get it and if Elon’s plan really is to get all of his competition onto the NACS only to tank it, I think it would not only be sinister, but probably illegal due to antitrust violations. My gut instinct tells me that there is a lot more to it.

It wasn’t that long ago that we all accused Elon of trying to put his competition out of business, due to steep price cuts. It didn’t take long to discover that he was just trying to get out in front of weakening demand. Then, the rest of the industry followed, some faster than others.

For some reason this move reminds me of what is presently going on with California insurance companies, who originally asked for a 20% increase in premiums. The energy commission declined the increase, so now one by one they are all leaving. It’s only a matter of time until the energy commission begs them to come back, but now they will get much more than the 20% that they originally asked for. It would not surprise me if Elon is working the system in a similar, but different way. The guy clearly knows how to get free government money.

Or, maybe he really is trying to screw everyone. We will see.

No way.. he fired the team behind the brakes!

(/s)
Why even have brakes when everything can be full regenerative braking now? /s

I'm really not sure there is.
My bet is that he demanded 20% headcount cuts from all his department heads.
Tinucci either stonewalled or wasn't willing to part with that many people in her group.
Musk, incensed by the insubordination, fired the whole dang team as an example.

I really do think it's that surface level and that stupid.
Let's face reality folks, these days Musk is running on an almost pure mix of ketamine and raw emotions.

Let's face reality folks, these days Musk is running on an almost pure mix of ketamine and raw emotions.
this analysis is based on? hands on data? or is it just conjecture?

none of us are privy to what is going on there, people are relying on filtered "facts" to formulate these opinions.

the media has been after elon's head for his views that are not aligned with the woke crowd. could these stories just be more anti elon propaganda

none of us are privy to what is going on there, people are relying on filtered "facts" to formulate these opinions.

the media has been after elon's head for his views that are not aligned with the woke crowd. could these stories just be more anti elon propaganda
Using "woke" to support your POV is already questionable, but Elon has had every opportunity to come out as his own PR machine to set the story straight about these layoffs.

To suggest the media has a bias AGAINST Musk is pretty nuts, if you ask me.

The headlines have been praising him as the second coming for years. He was Time's "Person of the Year" just a few years ago, for crying out loud.

The only person suggesting the press hates Musk is Musk himself. He's good at the whole playing victim thing.

I’m a Gen Z and I completely disagree with your “woke” press comment, which is saying a lot.

Why even have brakes when everything can be full regenerative braking now? /s
Okay.. so can somebody please explain to me why this seems like something Musk would ACTUALLY do?

Now, in all seriousness, I long for the days that regen braking is strong enough to replace actual brakes, especially for commuter cars (for track cars, there’s a huge issue I explain later). Aero would be better as aero covers don’t need to care about brake cooling, unsprung weight (and therefore just overall weight) would be reduced leading to better ride quality, handling, and slightly more range, AND the stronger regen would put more charge into the battery! Cost may also be reduced. There is one huge concern with this though, and that would be brake feel. Perhaps it could be simulated similarly to how the best force feedback sims simulate steering feedback.. but I don’t know.

Okay.. so can somebody please explain to me why this seems like something Musk would ACTUALLY do?

Now, in all seriousness, I long for the days that regen braking is strong enough to replace actual brakes, especially for commuter cars. Aero would be better as aero covers don’t need to care about brake cooling, unsprung weight (and therefore just overall weight) would be reduced leading to better ride quality, handling, and slightly more range, AND the stronger regen would put more charge into the battery! There is one huge concern with this though, and that would be brake feel. Perhaps it could be simulated similarly to how the best force feedback sims simulate steering feedback.. but I don’t know.
We understand that this article was from The Onion right?

We understand that this article was from The Onion right?
Yes, I posted it with a /s label. That’s also why I said it seems like something Musk would do, because he usually turns a joke into reality.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back