Tesla lays off Supercharger team

Status
Not open for further replies.
Meanwhile, at EA Headquarters, various departments are celebrating each in their own special way ....

200w.gif
c70ce2ea44c7c81bb5e6b6d1173a3b77.gif
200w-2.gif

The Supercharger team layoff occurred two days after CA governor Newsom's office touted a vague "public-private partnership" deal with Tesla. I'm guessing Elon timed the whole thing to slap Newsom around - I don't think they are on good terms.

Lord Farquaad has spoken. Here's the official press release

1714512681333.png

Gotta love Tom Moloughney 😆

i dont get it, what's the point of firing the whole team? if youre transitioning from expanding to new locations to improving existing performance and service area, isn't that part of your existing team's purview? why fire the whole team?

does that mean internally, the supercharging team is only in charge of expanding to new locations, then everything else that comes after (maintenance, improvements, service, etc) is handed off to another team?

does that mean internally, the supercharging team is only in charge of expanding to new locations, then everything else that comes after (maintenance, improvements, service, etc) is handed off to another team?
What supercharging team

How long before Tom is banned from Xitter?
Did you just make even the slightest mention of the idiotic name "X?" Ban time for you! 🤣 (I will NEVER, EVER in my life call it X or acknowledge that exists. It will always be called Twitter.)

3 of the 4 planned Tesla sites in NY were “power ready.” Now they’re dead.

Sure glad I don’t own a Tesla right about now.
Now, excuse the profanity... but what the f*ck is a non-power ready supercharger? What's the function of that in the first place?

The cars are fine. I don't mind them, and they are nice basic commuters. The company on the other hand... bringing down the whole industry with them, at least based on this move. I hope somebody steps up to take the helm of reliable charging, CCS or not. I will once reiterate my belief that Lucid, or rather the Saudi's, are in a perfect position (do warn me if this stretches into armchair CEO-ing, I'm just trying to give ideas). If they launched a charging station family under the Lucid brand, and made it reliable with a good quantity of chargers, they would have the advantage of securing the EV charger space as well as petroleum. Perfection for them, the whole industry, AND Lucid. A major issue would be money, but hey... Saudis!

I think the analogy is that Tesla invited all the manufacturers to take a drive together with Tesla via NACS. After starting out a mile ahead of everyone, Elon unloads a trunkful of spike strips on the road behind him. Totally predictable as many of the forum members will testify....
giphy (2).gif

I think the analogy is that Tesla invited all the manufacturers to take a drive together with Tesla via NACS. After starting out a mile ahead of everyone, Elon unloads a trunkful of spike strips on the road behind him.
View attachment 20317
And in front of him!

Now, excuse the profanity... but what the f*ck is a non-power ready supercharger? What's the function of that in the first place?
Not complicated; just means they had pulled wire and gotten it ready to set up superchargers. As in, all they had to do was install them and “power them on,” in layman’s terms.

The cars are fine. I don't mind them, and they are nice basic commuters. The company on the other hand... bringing down the whole industry with them, at least based on this move. I hope somebody steps up to take the helm of reliable charging, CCS or not. I will once reiterate my belief that Lucid, or rather the Saudi's, are in a perfect position (do warn me if this stretches into armchair CEO-ing, I'm just trying to give ideas). If they launched a charging station family under the Lucid brand, and made it reliable with a good quantity of chargers, they would have the advantage of securing the EV charger space as well as petroleum. Perfection for them, the whole industry, AND Lucid. A major issue would be money, but hey... Saudis!
Nah. Lucid has bigger fish to fry. They are doing the right thing, which is focusing on their expertise; too many companies lose focus, which is how Elon got exactly right here.

Rivian is doing a fantastic job of putting chargers where others don’t yet exist, and enabling people to explore areas that are traditionally more rural as a result.

One of the most important things at a startup is understanding what your “magic” is, and outsourcing basically everything else. There’s something to be said for the tight vertical integration of charger and car, but Lucid entering that game at this point would be a “me too” reaction, and a mistake. They would have no “secret sauce” to make it better. It’s not their wheelhouse.

Their vertical integration of components and design, and coupling design to work with engineering in tandem… that’s their magic, along with their insane focus on efficiency, which leads to their massive wins in packaging, power, and vehicle dynamics.

Their continued focus should be on that, and on getting the software finally “right.”

I think they’re focused on the right things. The charging? That will sort itself out over time. As long as it’s 800-1000V, and reliable, which it eventually will be, even if the other companies drag EA and Tesla kicking and screaming into the future, Lucid does not care who gets paid for the energy they provide, nor should they, imho.

I guess I’m playing armchair CEO now. Oops. My bad.

The problem with charging networks and Lucid doing one is that I just don’t think they are a good business. And the last thing Lucid needs is a giant money pit of a side business right now.

What value could Lucid charging station bring? To cover the country they would need thousands of stations. How would this be anything but an expensive distraction. Better to concentrate on continuing to provide superior vehicles.

The problem with charging networks and Lucid doing one is that I just don’t think they are a good business. And the last thing Lucid needs is a giant money pit of a side business right now.
I actually think charging networks can be a very good business if done right. Many gas stations see more profit from convenience mart sales than from gas sales. Now think about having a captive customer for 20 minutes instead of 5 minutes. The problem is that EA and EVgo do not do them right. People want a fast reliable network with amenities to spend their time while charging.

That said, this is not Lucid's core competence and Lucid should not try to create their own network.

I actually think charging networks can be a very good business if done right. Many gas stations see more profit from convenience mart sales than from gas sales. Now think about having a captive customer for 20 minutes instead of 5 minutes. The problem is that EA and EVgo do not do them right. People want a fast reliable network with amenities to spend their time while charging.

That said, this is not Lucid's core competence and Lucid should not try to create their own network.
This is why I hope Rove succeeds! Their stations look like they will be great

IMG_1186.jpeg

I actually agree with you, on everything you just said. The reason charging stations are a money sink right now is because nobody building them has run a bunch of gas stations, and still thinks they’re going to somehow recoup their profits from the charging. Not in a thousand years, lol.

Sodas. Hot dogs. Fast food.

That’s how charging stations (and movie theaters) make money.

And Lucid should not be in that business.

i dont get it, what's the point of firing the whole team? if youre transitioning from expanding to new locations to improving existing performance and service area, isn't that part of your existing team's purview? why fire the whole team?

I believe it was Musk in his so called “ demon mood”, where he acts like a spoilt toddler without any common sense or empathy….he thinks he has such following, he is so rich, that he can get away with anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back