Tesla is adding radar back onto its cars

That’s going to be an expensive retrofit for a good chunk of cars

I saw a Model 3 driving in Cupertino some 18 months ago outfitted with a roof rack full of 4D radar units. No need to apologize for a change in direction after gaining more knowledge.

I saw a Model 3 driving in Cupertino some 18 months ago outfitted with a roof rack full of 4D radar units. No need to apologize for a change in direction after gaining more knowledge.
Thought Elon's ego was too great for that.

And I think people who were promised "full self driving" on just cameras will probably file a class action if they can't get all these new sensors for free in their car for those who paid for FSD

I saw this coming from a mile away.

Thought Elon's ego was too great for that.

And I think people who were promised "full self driving" on just cameras will probably file a class action if they can't get all these new sensors for free in their car for those who paid for FSD

I saw this coming from a mile away.
Same here. I think they will retrofit cars that paid for FSD, at least for this sensor.

But I don’t get it, they can TOTALLY do it with just cameras, because Elon said they could! 🙄

Pretty sure I called this a temporary cost cutting measure they’ll roll back months ago on this very forum. Too lazy to find the post now.

Count me in the camp of "Better to learn from mistakes and correct them than forge ahead like a moron based on terrible past decisions." Good on them for changing their minds. I can't imagine convincing Elon was easy.

As far as how they treat the customers who have, for the past two years, bought cars with no radar, we'll see. I'm not 100% confident a "free" retrofit will happen.

I'm also curious how Musk's minions will spin this. I imagine a lot of backpedaling will be going on in YouTube videos for months.

I am sure they will at some point have to put the ultrasonic parking sensors back on the cars as well.

Count me in the camp of "Better to learn from mistakes and correct them than forge ahead like a moron based on terrible past decisions." Good on them for changing their minds. I can't imagine convincing Elon was easy.

As far as how they treat the customers who have, for the past two years, bought cars with no radar, we'll see. I'm not 100% confident a "free" retrofit will happen.

I'm also curious how Musk's minions will spin this. I imagine a lot of backpedaling will be going on in YouTube videos for months.
There was one video in which he mentioned potentially adding back a “high definition radar” in the future, and so they’re just going to repeat that line over and over again. I’d make a monetary wager.

I wouldn't be surprised if one day it came out that this was a parts supply issue but instead of saying they're out of stock or delaying orders they just went with the message of "we only need cameras" convincing avid Tesla followers and future owners that "this is the way" and to continue buying with the intent they were always going to add it back when they parts became available. Think about it, if people knew it was coming back then they would have probably held off on buying the car impacting Tesla's sales \ dominance in the market.

Pure speculation but with how that mans mind operates it wouldn't surprise me. 😂

I wont give Elon credit for anything when safety and lives are on the line. His ego got in the way of safety, and the government is rightfully pressuring Tesla very heavily now. That's all there is too it in my eyes.

I wont give Elon credit for anything when safety and lives are on the line. His ego got in the way of safety, and the government is rightfully pressuring Tesla very heavily now. That's all there is too it in my eyes.
I think if people didn't realize beforehand they will now after his Twitter acquisition. Elon cares about no one but himself and how he can make himself richer. His ego is out of control and hopefully it takes a bit of a beating with how he's handling things at Twitter. Tesla's stock price is certainly paying the price for his shenanigans at Twitter.

many years ago, I made the final round interview process at SpaceX and was told by the recruiter the final step was to write a letter to Elon. He wanted to know why I was "worthy" to work at SpaceX. I told the recruiter "I'm done. I have the qualifications for the role and I don't need to prove to anyone why i'm worthy to work at their company and to withdraw my application". He was shocked and said "don't worry, it's just a formality and we have the template for you to fill out" and my response was "I don't want to work for someone that sounds like an egotistical prick so remove my application"

People said I was crazy to turn down an opportunity at SpaceX but to this day I don't regret my decision one bit.

I think if people didn't realize beforehand they will now after his Twitter acquisition. Elon cares about no one but himself and how he can make himself richer. His ego is out of control and hopefully it takes a bit of a beating with how he's handling things at Twitter. Tesla's stock price is certainly paying the price for his shenanigans at Twitter.

many years ago, I made the final round interview process at SpaceX and was told by the recruiter the final step was to write a letter to Elon. He wanted to know why I was "worthy" to work at SpaceX. I told the recruiter "I'm done. I have the qualifications for the role and I don't need to prove to anyone why i'm worthy to work at their company and to withdraw my application". He was shocked and said "don't worry, it's just a formality and we have the template for you to fill out" and my response was "I don't want to work for someone that sounds like an egotistical prick so remove my application"

People said I was crazy to turn down an opportunity at SpaceX but to this day I don't regret my decision one bit.
Wild. Also, I agree completely with your thesis on it being a cost cutting measure and/or supply issue. I said as much a few months ago when they announced it.

One wonders if the addition of radar is related to the numerous motorcycle wrecks in which the cameras could not separate a near motorcycle from a distant car tail-lights.

One wonders if the addition of radar is related to the numerous motorcycle wrecks in which the cameras could not separate a near motorcycle from a distant car tail-lights.
That's interesting because the Tesla model S performed better than the Lucid on the Euro NCAP test. So I assume it'll at least catch something like that

But Lucid is brand new so impressive how well they did for their first

Just checked to see what they are charging for Coming Soon...I mean Full Self Driving...$15,000

The $9k for DD Pro is a bargain!

I believe this was always been the plan. they ran into the supply chain constraints and didn't want to delay car productions so they cooked up a story about how vision is enough blah blah. remember how they shipped cars without usb ports and promising customers that it would be retrofitted once supply is there? they didn't build this high definition radar yesterday. it must have been in the works for months so they knew it's going to come but they didn't want to delay vehicle shipment.

the only thing worth knowing is whether they would retrofit this to owners who doesn't have it (even people who didn't pay for FSD) for free.

Just checked to see what they are charging for Coming Soon...I mean Full Self Driving...$15,000

The $9k for DD Pro is a bargain!
Every opportunity is going to be a money grab where they can fit it lol.

If they're backpedaling getting all these sensors now, they'll keep the price high to pay for it

Back