NACS or CCS?

• NACS

Votes: 41 67.2%
  • CCS

Votes: 20 32.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought the Twitter release said both ports?

The article also states these new Fords will be able to charge with either.

Ford is not stupid. They are basically using a connector Tesla created that allows for either. Sort of like the superchargers they have fitted with their smart connectors. Only on the car itself. Interesting. Though I’d still rather see the Tesla port go away entirely. The sooner we have one standard port that isn’t owned by anyone, the better.

GM will have much higher volumes than Ford with Equinox starting at 30k, Blazer from 40k. VW will also be in that space. CCS is here to stay. Tesla was already forced to comply with the European version of CCS which is close enough to our CCS the main difference being L2 charging. Also, Hyundai/Kia will compete in the volume segment.

The big problem is that the current SC cables aren’t long enough to reach the vehicle’s charge port or the CCS vehicle has to park in the wrong spot to use the Tesla cable, effectively blocking 2 stalls. Supposedly V4 superchargers are supposed to resolve this with longer cables.

The big problem is that the current SC cables aren’t long enough to reach the vehicle’s charge port or the CCS vehicle has to park in the wrong spot to use the Tesla cable, effectively blocking 2 stalls. Supposedly V4 superchargers are supposed to resolve this with longer cables.
Also, by 2025, Ford will have a chance to relocate the charging port. They could also put in two charging ports: one easily accessible by Tesla, chargers, and the current location where they have the CCS port.

This will help Ford sell even more EVs and quiet the rhetoric of Tesla fanboys FUD of charging.

A kid can plug in a Tesla cable, but as an adult, I still struggle with the big CCS cable to plug in.

I think it's brilliant that Ford has announced the agreement to use the Tesla charging port standard.

It reduces parts for Ford: There's only 1 form factor for both AC and Fast DC port/cable.

Starting next year, 2024, Ford EV customers can get a Tesla-CCS adapter to use Tesla Superchargers.

In 2025, new Ford EVs will have a built-in Tesla charging port without needing an adapter for Tesla Superchargers.

Ford Ev Customers To Gain Access To 12,000 Tesla Superchargers; Company To Add North American Charging Standard Port In Future Evs
May 25, 2023 | Dearborn

Others, including Lucid, should do the same since Tesla's charging protocol/form factor is now a royalty-free patent (customers still have to pay to use, but manufacturers don't need to pay to include Tesla's charging form factor/protocol in their cars).

Last edited:
Starting in 2025 Ford will replace the CCS port with NACS port on 2nd generation Ford EVs. Not in addition to CCS 1. Ford will offer CCS 1 to NACS adapter for 1st Gen Ford BEVs and you will be able pay for Supercharging using Ford Pass.

Will not retrofit NACS to 2025 model year 1st Gen Ford BEVs. T3 Ford pickup gets NACS while Ford Lightning sticks with CCS until discontinued.

Gen 2.0 Mach-E might come out in 2025.

Ford is opening a LFP chemistry Gigafactory in Michigan using licensed CATL technology. You are kidding yourself if you think Ford will not match or beat an entry level Equinox EV MSRP. So far GM has announced 4 GF while Ford has announced 3. No clear No 2 automaker for battery cell manufacturing.

EU Commission forced all BEVs sold in Europe Union to have CCS 2.

China forced all BEVs sold in China to have GB/T.

All Japanese automakers use CHAdeMO in Japan while Tesla using NACS.

It is unlikely the US Feds will force any standard.

Ford jumping ship on CCS 1 will put pressure on other automakers to use NACS in USA/Canada.

You are kidding yourself if you think CCS 1 is safe in North America.

Super smart move by Ford. This will definitely be a big positive to help them sell more EV’s.

Even if Lucid adopted Tesla standard port I believe it still has the 50kw super charger limitation 400V architecture vs 900v arch so that would still need a solution.

I believe the fourth gen Superchargers are supposed to be higher voltage. So there’s that. But it’ll take years for those to become ubiquitous. Then again, the gen 3 rollout was pretty quick.

I definitely don’t expect a standard to emerge in the US, unfortunately. We’ll be dealing with adapters and voltage discrepancies for many years to come. Which hurts adoption, of course. But such is capitalism. It’ll work itself out over time.

I did not know the NACS was now royalty free. That helps. Does anyone know if the NACS is limited technically in any way that would make future faster speed charging not possible? It the plug itself capable of 800 or 900 volt charging?

Since these new Fords with the NACS will be coming with some sort of adapter for CCS, hopefully that means someone will make a mainstream adapter available to the rest of us. I’m still reluctant to buy a Tesla Tap. If Ford or even Tesla released an official adapter, I’d feel more comfortable plugging it into my six-figure car.

I don't think this will have much effect on many of us here. A lot of us already have home chargers or 14-50 receptacles for the Lucid charger. By the time my EA 3-year freebie expires, I hope the "standard" will emerge, at which time I will/may buy the appropriate adapter for the Lucid if/when I choose to do Interstate travel. By that time, most if not all of my charging will be at home. I also think that by that time, most DC chargers will have some sort of adapter in place, probably chained to the hose lol!

I think it's brilliant that Ford has announced the agreement to use the Tesla charging port standard.

I wonder how much of this has to do with continuing problems with the Electrify America network?

Last year I saw an interview with the VP of Electrification (or some such title) at Ford. He said they had to create an in-house team to help customers deal with the problems they were having at EA chargers. As with Lucid, Ford had somewhat linked its EV brand identity to that of Electrify America through much-touted exclusive free charging programs. That is not a position in which automakers should want to find themselves.

I wonder how much of this has to do with continuing problems with the Electrify America network?

Last year I saw an interview with the VP of Electrification (or some such title) at Ford. He said they had to create an in-house team to help customers deal with the problems they were having at EA chargers. As with Lucid, Ford had somewhat linked its EV brand identity to that of Electrify America through much-touted exclusive free charging programs. That is not a position in which automakers should want to find themselves.
There have been enough complaints about Electrify America so I don't doubt it's one of the factors that push Ford to go with Tesla.

Another advantage is: It's seamless for Ford and its customers. Ford owners won't need to use the Tesla app anymore. They can continue using the Ford Pass app; the billing will go through Ford.

In addition, that doesn't mean they can't use CCS stations like Electrify America anymore. They still can. So Tesla is an expansion, and not it does not take away their ability to charge with CCS if they want to.

If this actually comes to pass, I can't wait to see the glares from Tesla owners who will now have to wait for non-Tesla EVs to finish charging.
A Tesla showed up to use an EA charger in Kittery, ME, while I was there last week. It's driver, a Lyriq driver heading home to Canada, and I had some interesting conversations. It's not the cars, it's the drivers. Fingers crossed that US Tesla owners adapt like those in Europe, etc.

I believe the fourth gen Superchargers are supposed to be higher voltage. So there’s that. But it’ll take years for those to become ubiquitous. Then again, the gen 3 rollout was pretty quick.
A Lucid will not be able to charge at full speed on gen 3 superchargers due to the voltage situation unfortunately.

The cables are not necessarily the issue.

Personally, with Lucid being in their infancy, I’m hoping they have a modular enough system where they can:

- support changing the chargeport hardware from CCS to NACS for current and future customers
- Provide and adaptor that allows charging at the maxed speeds based on voltage limitations

I’m internally digging around to see if Fords adapter is proprietary or not…

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back