Tesla charging on lucid

Mac

Cars
Air Touring
What is lucids status on using Tesla chargers. There agreement with EA is great EXCEPT in Miami their chargers most on the time. Don’t work.

What is lucids status on using Tesla chargers. There agreement with EA is great EXCEPT in Miami their chargers most on the time. Don’t work.

First, Tesla needs to open its Superchargers to all brands.

It should come from Tesla without any further needs from Lucid because Lucid is Plug and Charge compatible.

Tesla Superchargers available to all brands only started in Europe so far. There's a plan in the US but that’s it. I haven’t heard any movement just yet.

Once Tesla opens to all brands then the question will be will Lucid provides free Tesla Supercharger just like EA?

That would be nice but I doubt it because Tesla is predicting the demise of Lucid. The bad blood needs to be solved first before any deal can be reached.

Also worth noting that on Tesla's current 400v chargers Lucid will only get 50Kw max charging so whilst you will get access to more chargers and reliability there are pros and cons still.

Also worth noting that on Tesla's current 400v chargers Lucid will only get 50Kw max charging so whilst you will get access to more chargers and reliability there are pros and cons still.
Is 50 kw a typo (instead of 250 kw) for charging a Lucid at a Supercharger?

That's very low when Tesla Supercharger is rated for 250 kw.

What brought it down to 50 kw?

Voltage.

Lucid is a 900v car and needs 800v+ chargers in order to benefit from high Kw charging. When plugging into a 400v charger you will only get 50Kw max regardless of whether the charger is 50,100,200Kw

This is from the Lucid Tech Talk videos showing the car will only do 50Kw on a 400v charger which is currently what all the Tesla Superchargers are.

1673548244153.png

1673548281263.png

Lucid is a 900v car and needs 800v+ chargers in order to benefit from high Kw charging. When plugging into a 400v charger you will only get 50Kw max regardless of whether the charger is 50,100,200Kw

This is from the Lucid Tech Talk videos showing the car will only do 50Kw on a 400v charger which is currently what all the Tesla Superchargers are.
Thanks for the eye opening explanation.

@Mac: 50 kw is too slow for a road trip so I wouldn't bother to ask for that as a free perk.

Thanks for the eye opening explanation.

@Mac: 50 kw is too slow for a road trip so I wouldn't bother to ask for that as a free perk.
Tesla V4 chargers are rumored to be 1000v (I don't think Tesla confirmed it yet) so if that's the case then opening the Supercharger network becomes a lot more beneficial to us. Elon being Elon though, who knows if and when he will ever open it.

Opening up the Tesla plug and calling it the North American Charging Standard (NACS) seemed to be a step in avoiding opening up the network to all but only to those who adopted the Tesla plug with the added advantage of him getting Biden's infrastructure money without having to retrofit the chargers with CCS cables.

is there an adapter that would allow Lucids to charge on Tesla using their plugs?

is there an adapter that would allow Lucids to charge on Tesla using their plugs?
Not for DC fast charging. Given they have one for Tesla to CCS i'm sure they could make one in reverse if they really wanted to.

Not for DC fast charging. Given they have one for Tesla to CCS i'm sure they could make one in reverse if they really wanted to.
one would think...maybe when/if Tesla open us the superchargers.

Thanks. We can hope, but I agree Tesla doesn’t play nice.

one would think...maybe when/if Tesla open us the superchargers.

An adapter would shift the cost to users which would be a financial way to go for Tesla.

In reality, it sounds more like a cable with a CCS plug called Magic Dock (it's magic because Tesla can fit on the cable with an interchangeable Tesla or CCS plug):

“We’ve already opened Tesla Superchargers to other electric cars in Europe, and we intend to roll that out worldwide. It’s a little trickier in the US because we have a different connector than the rest of the industry, but we will be adding the rest of the industry connectors as an option to Superchargers in the US.”

tesla-magic-dock-adapter.jpg

Last edited:
An adapter would shift the cost to users which would be a financial way to go for Tesla.

In reality, it sounds more like a cable with a CCS plug:

“We’ve already opened Tesla Superchargers to other electric cars in Europe, and we intend to roll that out worldwide. It’s a little trickier in the US because we have a different connector than the rest of the industry, but we will be adding the rest of the industry connectors as an option to Superchargers in the US.”

An adapter would not solve the issue entirely. The car would still need to talk to the supercharger's software somehow. Teslas do this natively. And the owner would need some sort of Tesla account to be billed. The supercharging network in the US has no method of swiping / tapping a credit card.

And then there's the issue with the voltage on existing Tesla chargers and the Lucid.

I still think Tesla will get around to this eventually. But it will take time, and a whole lot of hardware replacement.

...the owner would need some sort of Tesla account to be billed. The supercharging network in the US has no method of swiping / tapping a credit card...
Current Superchargers are not industry Plug-and-Charge compliant (it's only Tesla-compliant) so owners still have to register with Tesla with a credit card, use the Tesla app to charge, and have to manually tell the app which stall number would be charged to.

Once Tesla will be industry Plug-and-Charge compliant, it will be able to recognize which VIN is plugged into which stall, so there won't be a need for manual stall assignment from the Tesla app.

Just as tesla is selling adapter for Tesla to use ccs we need lucid to partner or design and sell adapters for least tesla destination chargers which are smart enough to tell us that we accidentally connected to tesla supercharger. 50kw can charge lucid at about 3.2 miles per minute. Given what EA is doing we should be fine with almost 100 miles in 30 minutes of tesla charger at 400v can work with lucid. That is 90 minutes of driving at close to 70mph.

Just as tesla is selling adapter for Tesla to use ccs we need lucid to partner or design and sell adapters for least tesla destination chargers which are smart enough to tell us that we accidentally connected to tesla supercharger. 50kw can charge lucid at about 3.2 miles per minute. Given what EA is doing we should be fine with almost 100 miles in 30 minutes of tesla charger at 400v can work with lucid. That is 90 minutes of driving at close to 70mph.
I think Tesla is waiting for their 1000V-compatible supercharger introduction (v4?) before introducing a CCS cable or adapter. Or they just aren't in a hurry to do anything in that area.

View attachment 8606

View attachment 8607
What is the voltage rating of the EA 150kW chargers?

Back