hmp10

Founding Member
Verified Owner
Cars
Model S Plaid, Odyssey
DE Number
Referral Code
033M4EXG
There is a Tesla Supercharger station just off I-75 near the Ft. Myers International Airport in Florida. Today we were at a large outlet mall just one exit down from the airport and found a huge EV charging installation under construction. There were 32 Tesla Supercharger stations and 18 destination chargers.

However, all the destination chargers, though labeled as Tesla chargers, had CCS connectors. What gives?

IMG_1038.jpg

Last I checked, Tesla destination chargers are L2 and [edit: some in SoCal] include CCS connectors. These are different from Superchargers which only include the proprietary Tesla connector, though some of those soon will include CCS as well (due to federal and state incentive requirements)

Last edited:
Last I checked, Tesla destination chargers are L2 and include CCS connectors. These are different from Superchargers which only include the proprietary Tesla connector, though some of those soon will include CCS as well (due to federal and state incentive requirements)

The Tesla-branded L2 chargers I've seen (and occasionally used with our Teslas) thus far in the Naples area only have the Tesla connectors. These are the first Tesla destination chargers I've seen with CCS connectors down here. I'm wondering what the charge rates are? For instance, can the Air charge at 19.2 kW off these L2 connectors as it can off the Lucid home wall connector with a 100-amp line?

The Tesla-branded L2 chargers I've seen (and occasionally used with our Teslas) thus far in the Naples area only have the Tesla connectors. These are the first Tesla destination chargers I've seen with the CCS connectors down here. I'm wondering what the charge rates are? For instance, can the Air charge at 19.2 kW off these L2 connectors as it can off the Lucid home wall connector with a 100-amp line?
Interesting. I thought another forum member in SoCal said the destination chargers have CCS and Tesla connectors?

Interesting. I thought another forum member in SoCal said the destination chargers have CCS and Tesla connectors?

Given that California is at the front of the curve on charging infrastructure, that may well be.

To be pedantic (my specialty 😆), "CCS" ("Combined Charging System") refers to the combination of L2 and L3 capability in the same connector. The picture is of just the L2 connector, which for CCS1 in the US is called J1772.

I'm curious too what the power will be for those Tesla-branded L2 EVSEs. AIUI current Teslas only support up to 48A charging via L2?

I've bought a pair of these Tesla "Wall Connectors" with J1772 connectors on the end to put in back of our restaurant as destination chargers. The J1772 ones they currently sell are their Gen 2 type (load sharing), but are limited to 40A max each. I don't see them available at the Tesla shop right now. I figured this would be more usable than just Tesla connector chargers, although 80%+ of all cars currently are Teslas. Tesla makes a J1772 charging adapter that comes with the cars, so no problem for Tesla drivers.

Screen Shot 2022-03-23 at 8.27.51 PM.png

I've bought a pair of these Tesla "Wall Connectors" with J1772 connectors on the end to put in back of our restaurant as destination chargers. The J1772 ones they currently sell are their Gen 2 type (load sharing), but are limited to 40A max each. I don't see them available at the Tesla shop right now. I figured this would be more usable than just Tesla connector chargers, although 80%+ of all cars currently are Teslas. Tesla makes a J1772 charging adapter that comes with the cars, so no problem for Tesla drivers.

View attachment 1188
Well now I'm curious what "your restaurant" is in Tucson. Would love to check it out when I'm down next.

Well now I'm curious what "your restaurant" is in Tucson. Would love to check it out when I'm down next.
Ditto, planning a trip to AZ late April

I’ll join you guys in 2024 when my reservation’s up for production.

View attachment 1188

That looks like the chargers we saw at the new installation yesterday. Will this actually charge at 40A, or is that the capacity of the line feed, which means charging will probably be limited to 32A at the car . . . such as with Teslas?

I also wonder if you'll have to pay to use these L2 chargers if you're charging something other than a Tesla? There were no signs with instructions on how to do so.

That looks like the chargers we saw at the new installation yesterday. Will this actually charge at 40A, or is that the capacity of the line feed, which means charging will probably be limited to 32A at the car . . . such as with Teslas?

I also wonder if you'll have to pay to use these L2 chargers if you're charging something other than a Tesla? There were no signs with instructions on how to do so.
I think that these chargers are provided by whoever installed them as a perk of using the business establishment, so all charges are to the provider and not Tesla.

Will this actually charge at 40A, or is that the capacity of the line feed, which means charging will probably be limited to 32A at the car
They will output a maximum of 40A.

Back