Charging your Lucid on Tesla Superchargers

DaveyBoyGT

Cars
lucid Air GT
Looks like we will soon be able to do DC fast charging for our Lucids on Tesla superchargers as soon as Musk decides to pull the trigger. The Netherlands is doing it already and other European countries will likely soon follow. When it will happen in the US is your guess as good as mine. Companies are already making the adapters for charging but are not on sale yet. Here is a look at one now:

Using Tesla Superchargers will greatly reduce range anxiety without having to wait for a charge on the Level 2 tesla "Destination" chargers. I'm sure there will be a big push back from Tesla owners, but I doubt that will deter Musk from increasing his charging station revenue stream.

I can already see angry Tesla owners torching a non Tesla EV trying to charge at ”their” locations.

Last edited:
Tesla has a CCS->Tesla adapter on sale in South Korea that, upon introduction to the USA, will allow about a million Tesla vehicles to charge at existing CCS locations. Could get ugly.

Tesla has a CCS->Tesla adapter on sale in South Korea that, upon introduction to the USA, will allow about a million Tesla vehicles to charge at existing CCS locations. Could get ugly.
True, it will work both ways. But the Lucid has one advantage: Tesla has a maximum charging power of 145 Kw, so all the Tesla Supercharger stations are limited to 150kw. That means that the EA 350Kw stations will be of no value to them. I think when the Teslas charge at the EA stations, I will put a sticker on the 350 kw chargers that says, "For 900v Lucid only". That will keep the Teslas away! LOL!

You can get one here from Lectron on Amazon or directly from Lectron. Don't if they work on non-Tesla stations, but the adapters are available. Anyone know?

True, it will work both ways. But the Lucid has one advantage: Tesla has a maximum charging power of 145 Kw, so all the Tesla Supercharger stations are limited to 150kw. That means that the EA 350Kw stations will be of no value to them. I think when the Teslas charge at the EA stations, I will put a sticker on the 350 kw chargers that says, "For 900v Lucid only". That will keep the Teslas away! LOL!
Model 3 and Y cars will charge at 250kW on a Tesla supercharger, though only 150kW maximum on a CCS charger. Maybe this will help to keep the knowledgeable ones away. On the downside the majority of Tesla owners will expect that a CCS 350kW charger would be better to occupy than a 150kW.

Haha, yea right. You know how many slow EVs I see in the 350 slot when the 150s are open? Some people either don't know, but I suspect they just don't give a crap about taking up a faster charger.

Haha, yea right. You know how many slow EVs I see in the 350 slot when the 150s are open? Some people either don't know, but I suspect they just don't give a crap about taking up a faster charger.
Yes, there are some who are uneducated. Of course they could be in that spot because the other ones were occupied when they started charging. For example, a lot of the EVgo stations have one station ChadeMo only and the other with both ChadeMo and CCS. My Leaf takes the chadeMo. i would always take the ‘ChadeMo only’ station unless it was occupied with another Leaf. I can’t tell you how many times I had to take the other station, the other Leaf finishes and a Blot or BMW comes by and can’t charge because I am using The station with the CCS.

I’ve only used the EV chargers a couple of times but it’s not intuitive to me wha the max charge rate is until I’ve already parked my car at which time I can understand someone’s reluctance to move their car. Or did I miss something?

I’ve only used the EV chargers a couple of times but it’s not intuitive to me wha the max charge rate is until I’ve already parked my car at which time I can understand someone’s reluctance to move their car. Or did I miss something?
The Electrify America ones that I have used are clearly labeled but you have to select the correct cable as one may be 150KW and the other 350KW.

1651372193080.png

Looks like we will soon be able to do DC fast charging for our Lucids on Tesla superchargers as soon as Musk decides to pull the trigger. The Netherlands is doing it already and other European countries will likely soon follow. When it will happen in the US is your guess as good as mine. Companies are already making the adapters for charging but are not on sale yet. Here is a look at one now:

Using Tesla Superchargers will greatly reduce range anxiety without having to wait for a charge on the Level 2 tesla "Destination" chargers. I'm sure there will be a big push back from Tesla owners, but I doubt that will deter Musk from increasing his charging station revenue stream.
US is never on the cutting edge of anything, they like to milk the old tech as much as they can here 🤪🤪🤪

Keep in mind Tesla superchargers are only 400 volt so depending on what Lucids step down convertor can deliver we’d probably be lucky to get 50Kw or 100kw. The Taycan can do 50Kw standard or 100Kw with an upgrade, Hyundai can do 75Kw I believe. Speed will all come down to the hardware in the car of Tesla ever opens up the supercharger network.

The big, new EV charging plaza has now opened at the Miromar Outlets Mall in Ft. Myers, FL. It has 18 Tesla Supercharging stations and 16 Tesla Destination Chargers. We plugged our Lucid into a destination charger to see what happened. Not much, as it turns out:

IMG_1084.jpg

On a more exciting note, we came up on this while driving down the interstate from the charging plaza. It got off the interstate at our exit in Naples but headed the opposite direction. If we didn't have a trunk load of frozen goods from Costco in the trunk, we would have followed.

IMG_1094.jpg

The big, new EV charging plaza has now opened at the Miromar Outlets Mall in Ft. Myers, FL. It has 18 Tesla Supercharging stations and 16 Tesla Destination Chargers. We plugged our Lucid into a destination charger to see what happened. Not much, as it turns out:

View attachment 2378

On a more exciting note, we came up on this while driving down the interstate from the charging plaza. It got off the interstate at our exit in Naples but headed the opposite direction. If we didn't have a trunk load of frozen goods from Costco in the trunk, we would have followed.

View attachment 2379
You are welcome to check, play with, and drive ours next time you are in the neighborhood.

You are welcome to check, play with, and drive ours next time you are in the neighborhood.

??? You have an R1T near Naples?

I have had an R1S on order since February 2019 but have had no contact from my "Rivian Guide" or any other information about delivery other than emails with delivery date ranges that have come and gone.

I got lucky.A month ago I got a call from the "Rivian Guide". The Purpose of the call was to advise me that my choice of the interior (ocean something) was delayed . I reconfigured the car to our second choice, Limestone with Black interior. Apparently, a car with the same specs but with the 22" Pirelli tires had been delivered to their Orlando SC two days prior. Given the less than perfect panel gaps, someone must have walked and we just happen to have the same Rivian Guide looking to find a home for an orphaned car. I am not a truck person by any stretch of the imagination and I really really like it. Sometimes a picture tells a better story, Check out the front end of the R1S which I believe is identical to the R1T

Attachments

• Rivian front end.jpg
    Rivian front end.jpg
    850.3 KB · Views: 328
I don’t understand the photo. Is it supposed to show panel gap?

Sorry !! the photo is of the front end suspension. I was responding to hmp10. who has a R1S on order. The front end is same for both models and unlike anything I have ever seen before.

Sandy Munro is about to start a teardown of an R1T. He had received an earlier truck for a teardown but liked it so much that he decided to keep it for his personal use, so it took him a while to get the one he will soon be tearing down. He has already done a visual once-over of the chassis and undercarriage and likes what he sees so far.

Jon Rettinger just posted a lengthy review of an R1T that Rivian lent him for a week. He loved the truck, although he did note some uneven panel gaps. Rettinger had never even driven a pickup truck before and, like Munro, he's now considering getting one for himself.

US is never on the cutting edge of anything, they like to milk the old tech as much as they can here 🤪🤪🤪

That’s the truth. We have the largest, oldest, clunkiest, crankiest cellphone network of any developed nation on the planet.

So many countries have better and faster cellphone networks than ours.

But this is a discussion for another time.

Last edited:
Back