Sun Visor + Acceleration pedal - First Test Drive

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m actually baffled you’d accept either of these items at the price point and call it a nitpick. I’d call the thunk a problem at a $40,000 car price point. This just tells me you have a very low standard…

When talking about nitpicking, these are functional issues with the physical car. That’s a problem. These type of complaints need addressing before “nitpicking” and preference debates even come into the picture. Blowing these off as non-issues is absolutely not the way to handle this… these issues also do not translate to “don’t get the car, it’s terrible”.

I’d rather be at the stage where I’m debating on aesthetics (like the EQS), or software choices and interior space (like the Taycan), or luxury quality, lack of CarPlay, and terrible customer service (like Tesla) rather thinking loud clunks are acceptable on a new brand that costs more than all 3. We should be pushing this company to get there.
Low standards? Because I think their fob is well designed, minus the fact you couldn’t open the trunk until now. And because a brake release doesn’t bother me? Try saying these things out loud without laughing at yourself. This goes back to my point, luxury car buyers are the absolute worst demographic. There are no functional issues with either of these two “problem areas.” As I stated before, did the brake release work? If it didn’t, you have a functional problem. Did it work to your liking? Maybe not - not a functional problem, but a personal problem.

I was surprised by the thunk when I first drove the car. It was unexpected and took a bit of getting used to, as it is different than other electric cars I've owned. Now i actually appreciate it - I feel it makes me a slightly more aware driver - and don't mind it one bit.

I'm 5'8" and the visor is actually perfectly placed for me.

Getting into a new car, there are always differences yiou need to get used to. It takes a few hours or a day or two - depending on where you are coming from - but then you adjust.
The visors were the first thing I noticed when I sat in the car. I thought it was odd they were sitting just above my line of sight. But then I got back into my Tesla and realized the visors are pretty much in the same spot in that car. It's just that the roof line makes it a bit less obvious.

It would be great if you could adjust where they are positioned, though, vertically as well as horizontally. If they set them any higher, they wouldn't provide shade for anyone much shorter than me, which is most of the population. So you can't just say "position them higher" without making them useless for most people.

As the original poster suggested, it would be great if the seat could go just a teeny bit lower. That would probably do the trick. But that's likely constrained by where the battery is placed.

The Air is a very low car. Yes, it's a luxury sedan, but its stance is closer to a supercar than a classic Cadillac. Part of that whole dual personality thing. And part of why it gets that industry leading range.

I agree, these are great bits of feedback for future design considerations. But all design is a trade off. Make one customer happy, anger ten others. It's all about finding the balance. I have yet to sit in a car that I thought was perfect. And even if I found that perfect car, I could easily find a hundred people who hated it.

Low standards? Because I think their fob is well designed, minus the fact you couldn’t open the trunk until now. And because a brake release doesn’t bother me? Try saying these things out loud without laughing at yourself. This goes back to my point, luxury car buyers are the absolute worst demographic. There are no functional issues with either of these two “problem areas.” As I stated before, did the brake release work? If it didn’t, you have a functional problem. Did it work to your liking? Maybe not - not a functional problem, but a personal problem.
… all I can say is that you’re a great customer for new companies.

The visors were the first thing I noticed when I sat in the car. I thought it was odd they were sitting just above my line of sight. But then I got back into my Tesla and realized the visors are pretty much in the same spot in that car. It's just that the roof line makes it a bit less obvious.

It would be great if you could adjust where they are positioned, though, vertically as well as horizontally. If they set them any higher, they wouldn't provide shade for anyone much shorter than me, which is most of the population. So you can't just say "position them higher" without making them useless for most people.

As the original poster suggested, it would be great if the seat could go just a teeny bit lower. That would probably do the trick. But that's likely constrained by where the battery is placed.

The Air is a very low car. Yes, it's a luxury sedan, but its stance is closer to a supercar than a classic Cadillac. Part of that whole dual personality thing. And part of why it gets that industry leading range.

I agree, these are great bits of feedback for future design considerations. But all design is a trade off. Make one customer happy, anger ten others. It's all about finding the balance. I have yet to sit in a car that I thought was perfect. And even if I found that perfect car, I could easily find a hundred people who hated it.
This is pretty spot on. I’m still going to remove the visors though. My wife 5’ and she didn’t have any issues with the visors. It’s directly tied to location to line of site and the window itself.

This is pretty spot on. I’m still going to remove the visors though. My wife 5’ and she didn’t have any issues with the visors. It’s directly tied to location to line of site and the window itself.
Are there mounts that will remain on the windshield after the actual visors are taken off? If so will they look odd?

If you want less of a clunk from the brake release, just lightly tap the accelerator to get going rather than pushing it harder like you would for an ICE car. At least in my vehicle that makes a difference. I do agree the visors do take some getting used to, so just flip them off to your left side if they’re annoying, that’s what I do. As far as software snafus, so far the 1.2.6 update is a welcome improvement. I don’t care about CarPlay as much now since Tidal sounds better and the Navigation is better. And for Bluetooth audio, the trick is to have the track on your phone you want to play, play that track, then press the play putting on the steering wheel rocker, then it seems to work without incident. I think it’s just the way the car takes control of the phone, which is dumb and backwards so I’m hoping they fix that glitch, but that’s how you get it to work right for now.

I bet in future second generation models the thunk and high pitched engine whine noises will be gone. And people will be commenting about how those were annoyances/inconveniences with the first generation.

Pointing out a problem doesn’t mean we hate the car and company. Why do people think it’s all or nothing?

Are there mounts that will remain on the windshield after the actual visors are taken off? If so will they look odd?
So, I'm not 100% sure. I'm hoping I can work with the detailer to get these looking just fine. I'm not 100% sure what the raw mount itself looks like and how it attaches to the window. I sort of wish someone who had their vehicle already tried this and posts their findings.

If you want less of a clunk from the brake release, just lightly tap the accelerator to get going rather than pushing it harder like you would for an ICE car. At least in my vehicle that makes a difference. I do agree the visors do take some getting used to, so just flip them off to your left side if they’re annoying, that’s what I do. As far as software snafus, so far the 1.2.6 update is a welcome improvement. I don’t care about CarPlay as much now since Tidal sounds better and the Navigation is better. And for Bluetooth audio, the trick is to have the track on your phone you want to play, play that track, then press the play putting on the steering wheel rocker, then it seems to work without incident. I think it’s just the way the car takes control of the phone, which is dumb and backwards so I’m hoping they fix that glitch, but that’s how you get it to work right for now.
This is probably the song and dance we were trying to figure out. I did try pressing play from the dash itself, I did not try from the steering wheel.

I bet in future second generation models the thunk and high pitched engine whine noises will be gone. And people will be commenting about how those were annoyances/inconveniences with the first generation.

Pointing out a problem doesn’t mean we hate the car and company. Why do people think it’s all or nothing?
Couldn't have said it better myself.

I don't think anyone here thinks it's all or nothing. I think some of us communicate a bit more brusquely than others do, and that difference in communication style rubs some the wrong way.

I grew up in Philly, then spent 13 years in California. Took me quite a while before people didn't think I was the grumpiest jerk on the planet.

There's a big difference between saying "I didn't like the sound when I pressed the accelerator" and "I can't believe a luxury car studio would be so stupid as to allow a sound like this to be considered acceptable."

Not saying anyone is wrong here. Just saying, one person's mild expression of displeasure is another's psychotic rant.

Again, it’s not a problem. It’s a disagreement over a design made by Lucid. And it is all or nothing, because this is the iteration of the car YOU have signed up to purchase. If you believe that Lucid finds these “issues” large enough to address in future model years, one can sit on the sideline until that happens. It just makes me laugh that some folks are this critical of a vehicle and choose to say one has “low standards” because they are okay with the design of the car. You have this much money to spend on a car..breathe.

Again, it’s not a problem. It’s a disagreement over a design made by Lucid. And it is all or nothing, because this is the iteration of the car YOU have signed up to purchase. If you believe that Lucid finds these “issues” large enough to address in future model years, one can sit on the sideline until that happens. It just makes me laugh that some folks are this critical of a vehicle and choose to say one has “low standards” because they are okay with the design of the car. You have this much money to spend on a car..breathe.
Dude, you conclusively have low standards. I’m ok that you’re ok with this. It’s not hard to understand there’s a clear behavioral difference here. I work as an engineer for another car company.. this doesn’t fly on far cheaper vehicles. Trying to lower everyone else’s standards is petty and downplaying issues, even normalizing them, is not cool. You feel free to do this in isolation. Frankly, you missed the point of the post and seem to be aggressively attacking things like a fanboy.

My comments are not tied to the thought process that the car doesn’t have pros/cons. It’s a balance act and ultimately the value is tied to trade off. This is a posted experience tied to some unexpected quirks. Some of these quirks should not exist, but do. Pretending they aren’t things that need addressing is literally not doing ANYONE any favors and as clearly noted in a prior post, in the future people will like look at these models as having some cringy quirks that no longer exist.

I noted I’m keeping my reservation which notes I land somewhere here myself.

Other than the above, I’m not looking to justify my experience to … you. So this back and forth provides little value. I’m just grateful the majority of the community here does not act like you.

Last edited:
Dude, you conclusively have low standards. I’m ok that you’re ok with this. It’s not hard to understand there’s a clear behavioral difference here. I work as an engineer for another car company.. this doesn’t fly on far cheaper vehicles. Trying to lower everyone else’s standards is petty and downplaying issues, even normalizing them, is not cool. You feel free to do this in isolation. Frankly, you missed the point of the post and seem to be aggressively attacking things like a fanboy.

My comments are not tied to the thought process that the car doesn’t have pros/cons. It’s a balance act and ultimately the value is tied to trade off. This is a posted experience tied to some unexpected quirks. Some of these quirks should not exist, but do. Pretending they aren’t things that need addressing is literally not doing ANYONE any favors.

I noted I’m keeping my reservation which notes I land somewhere here myself.

Other than the above, I’m not looking to justify my experience to … you. So this back and forth provides little value. I’m just grateful the majority of the community here does not act like you.
I’m a realist - this is the car they have delivered, and the only aggressive one here is you. I’ve noted my gripes with the car in other posts. “Fanboy” doesn’t exist here, sorry bud. It seems you’re very passionate about your dislikes, and I do agree, I’m glad most are not like you here. Best of luck to you!

I think we've veered off topic here. Going to lock this up so we can put our efforts back toward discussing the car.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back