Sun Visor + Acceleration pedal - First Test Drive

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think they said it's because a physical brake is engaged vs. Non thunkers who use the motor to hold the car in place. Something along those lines

It’s really not as bad as people make it out to be. Sadly Lucid has targeted the absolute worst buyers in a car market - luxury buyers. Never thought I’d find a complaint about a flimsy fob (not the case), or a complaint over the brake release (forgotten immediately when driving). I fear that people are finding reasons to not like the car or nitpick over the most minute things, perfection doesn’t exist anyyyywhere. Literally test drove it before I took delivery and said “oh, that’s different” in regards to the brake release and moved on. You like the car, orrrr, you don’t. Simply put. The software complaints are valid, the fob and brake release are just silly.

It’s really not as bad as people make it out to be. Sadly Lucid has targeted the absolute worst buyers in a car market - luxury buyers. Never thought I’d find a complaint about a flimsy fob (not the case), or a complaint over the brake release (forgotten immediately when driving). I fear that people are finding reasons to not like the car or nitpick over the most minute things, perfection doesn’t exist anyyyywhere. Literally test drove it before I took delivery and said “oh, that’s different” in regards to the brake release and moved on. You like the car, orrrr, you don’t. Simply put. The software complaints are valid, the fob and brake release are just silly.
I mean, I think this depends on where you drive. With lots of stop and go in a city, like where I did the test drive, it was pretty damn obvious at every red light/stop sign we came across. As others have noted, it's distinctly weird, since other cars with hold functionality don't do it.

Liking the car is not a binary thing, and one can still enjoy something while pointing out clear flaws.

I’m personally not bothered by the brake release sound at all. Not disparaging people who - to each their own. But I just categorize that sound as something different about this vehicle, like how the electric motor has a high pitch whine versus the rumble of an ICE. Not necessarily a good or bad thing, but mostly something that is noted and then mostly inconsequential 🤷‍♂️

I mean, I think this depends on where you drive. With lots of stop and go in a city, like where I did the test drive, it was pretty damn obvious at every red light/stop sign we came across. As others have noted, it's distinctly weird, since other cars with hold functionality don't do it.

Liking the car is not a binary thing, and one can still enjoy something while pointing out clear flaws.
A flaw would indicate a problem. Did the system not function? Or is it different? Not a flaw if it works, you might not agree with how they designed the system, but there isn’t anything wrong with it. It works, and works well. I do a ton of city driving, as others have stated, that noise is not an issue, just something new.

Also you might want to consider the slanted visor trick mentioned by another forum member. You basically angle the front visor so that when you look at it, it’s no more than a slit. At first I wasn’t convinced about this method but have been using it regularly lately and have loved it. Barely even notice the visor anymore. I also considered permanently removing it but decided against due to potential legal issues as well as sometimes it’s just useful to have a sun visor for sun blocking purposes even with my windshield tinted to 50%.

I think I have to agree with you. I might be spending too much time on this forum because this thread caused me to question my order. I guess you can call the sound whatever you want, but if this is it, I choose to call it NBD!

I’m actually baffled you’d accept either of these items at the price point and call it a nitpick. I’d call the thunk a problem at a $40,000 car price point. This just tells me you have a very low standard…

When talking about nitpicking, these are functional issues with the physical car. That’s a problem. These type of complaints need addressing before “nitpicking” and preference debates even come into the picture. Blowing these off as non-issues is absolutely not the way to handle this… these issues also do not translate to “don’t get the car, it’s terrible”.

I’d rather be at the stage where I’m debating on aesthetics (like the EQS), or software choices and interior space (like the Taycan), or luxury quality, lack of CarPlay, and terrible customer service (like Tesla) rather thinking loud clunks are acceptable on a new brand that costs more than all 3. We should be pushing this company to get there.

Last edited:
I’m personally not bothered by the brake release sound at all. Not disparaging people who - to each their own. But I just categorize that sound as something different about this vehicle, like how the electric motor has a high pitch whine versus the rumble of an ICE. Not necessarily a good or bad thing, but mostly something that is noted and then mostly inconsequential 🤷‍♂️
If you hear a high pitch wine out of a motor, it’s literally because a cheap part is used for regulating electricity… literally…

Early Teslas have this when providing a certain amount of power to the motor (and I hear newer teslas still have this flaw minus the plad). This isn’t a norm and it’s not a “good” thing. It is a bad Tesla quirk that exists from some poor engineering choices.

I didn’t hear this on my test drive, but if you do hear this you should schedule a service..

Last edited:
Also you might want to consider the slanted visor trick mentioned by another forum member. You basically angle the front visor so that when you look at it, it’s no more than a slit. At first I wasn’t convinced about this method but have been using it regularly lately and have loved it. Barely even notice the visor anymore. I also considered permanently removing it but decided against due to potential legal issues as well as sometimes it’s just useful to have a sun visor for sun blocking purposes even with my windshield tinted to 50%.
I found that it’s 100% legal for the owner of a vehicle to remove the visor. I did try the slanted method for driving and found it better but still not acceptable for my position when driving. It can also be a hazard for how it aligns with my head. I’ll have my windows tinted as well, so thiese guys are gone.

I think they said it's because a physical brake is engaged vs. Non thunkers who use the motor to hold the car in place. Something along those lines
This is an interesting comment. I know Mercedes’ has a hold that will not budge until the acceleration is invoked. No noise when it happens and there’s definitely a lock. Just not sure if it’s the brake or motor.

I’m actually baffled you’d accept either of these items at the price point and call it a nitpick. I’d call the thunk a problem at a $40,000 car price point. This just tells me you have a very low standard…

When talking about nitpicking, these are functional issues with the physical car. That’s a problem. These type of complaints need addressing before “nitpicking” and preference debates even come into the picture. Blowing these off as non-issues is absolutely not to handle this… these issues also do not translate to “don’t get the car, it’s terrible”.

I’d rather be at the stage where I’m debating on aesthetics (like the EQS), or software choices and interior space (like the Taycan), or luxury quality, lack of CarPlay, and terrible customer service (like Tesla) rather thinking loud clunks are acceptable on a new brand that costs more than all 3. We should be pushing this company to get there.
I’m legitimately baffled that you are baffled. The “thunk” of the brake releasing absolutely doesn’t bother me, and I do have absurdly high standards. (I’ve driven plenty of Huracans and R8s, etc.)

You’re absolutely welcome to have your opinion, and if it bothers you it bothers you. I haven’t heard the thunk since the first few days because: a) I got better / more adjusted to driving it and b) I got used to it, and never even notice it anymore.

If you hear a high pitch wine out of a motor, it’s literally because a cheap part is used for regulating electricity… literally…

Early Teslas have this when providing a certain amount of power to the motor (and I hear newer teslas still have this flaw minus the plad). This isn’t a norm and it’s not a “good” thing. It is a bad Tesla quirk that exists from some poor engineering choices.

I didn’t hear this on my test drive, but if you do hear this you should schedule a service..
You’re misunderstanding the term “whine”. It isn’t the electrical whine you’re referring to (in which case I’d agree) but “motor whine” refers to the physical motor spinning up - think “batmobile sound”. I actually enjoy it, tbh.

(Aside: did you know that the batmobile sound was sampled from the first Tesla Roadster spin up? :) )

I found that it’s 100% legal for the owner of a vehicle to remove the visor. I did try the slanted method for driving and found it better but still not acceptable for my position when driving. It can also be a hazard for how it aligns with my head. I’ll have my windows tinted as well, so thiese guys are gone.
Do you have a source you can cite? It would be awesome if this were true!

Do you have a source you can cite? It would be awesome if this were true!

There’s actually a few of these that seem to come to similar conclusions.

You’re misunderstanding the term “whine”. It isn’t the electrical whine you’re referring to (in which case I’d agree) but “motor whine” refers to the physical motor spinning up - think “batmobile sound”. I actually enjoy it, tbh.

(Aside: did you know that the batmobile sound was sampled from the first Tesla Roadster spin up? :) )
Ah, I understand. Yeah, there are 2 different noises. The former is something someone tried to convince me was normal in the early Tesla days … it’s not.

I see nothing wrong identifying areas where Lucid should take notice and possibly address and improve at some point. I love the car but there are a few things that need improvement.

I was surprised by the thunk when I first drove the car. It was unexpected and took a bit of getting used to, as it is different than other electric cars I've owned. Now i actually appreciate it - I feel it makes me a slightly more aware driver - and don't mind it one bit.

I'm 5'8" and the visor is actually perfectly placed for me.

Getting into a new car, there are always differences yiou need to get used to. It takes a few hours or a day or two - depending on where you are coming from - but then you adjust.

I see nothing wrong identifying areas where Lucid should take notice and possibly address and improve at some point. I love the car but there are a few things that need improvement.
True, I'm sure A LOT of this feedback, especially regarding the hardware aspects will be improved on future models. Everyone buying an Air now, should expect a few "design flaws" on the 1st car from a new company. It's all welcome feedback for Lucid since this feedback is directly from luxury consumers as to where they should steer their design philosophies for the Gravity and whatever else comes in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back