Strange steering sensation

ColonelBadger

Cars
Air Touring
Referral Code
IQZT5SXS
Please bare with me as I work through all the new sensations with driving an EV.

So I've noticed periodically on my Touring that I'll feel something through the steering, almost like I feel something move, when I turn left or right at a slow speed. If I come to a junction and slow way down, but don't stop and then then turn left or right, I'll feel something momentarily through the steering, almost like I feel a "bump" or "clunk" something through it. Today for some reason it did it almost at every slow turn. But previously it only happen once to twice and then it was gone. I've listened hard and when I feel it I don't hear anything. Doesn't happen when I'm driving at normal speeds. Doesn't do it when I'm sat still and just turn the steering left or right.

Is this just a characteristic of the car? Others feel this?

Last edited:
Please bare with me as I work through all the new sensations with driving an EV.

So I've noticed periodically on my Touring that I'll feel something through the steering, almost like I feel something move, when I turn left or right at a slow speed. If I come to a junction and slow way down, but don't stop and then then turn left or right, I'll feel something momentarily through the steering, almost like I feel a "bump" or "clunk" something through it. Today for some reason it did it almost at every slow turn. But previously it only happen once to twice and then it was gone. I've listened hard and when I feel it I don't hear anything. Doesn't happy when I'm driving at normal speeds. Doesn't do it when I'm sat still and just turn the steering left or right.

Is this just a characteristic of the car? Others feel this?
Can’t say I’ve noticed what you’ve described at low speeds, on a Grand Touring at least. Worth putting in a ticket with support to check it out and fix it

I feel like I know what you're describing. Also on a touring, when I turn the wheel left or right at low speeds while parking sometimes I feel something through the it. I don't know how to describe it, it doesn't feel natural but it could be.

I feel like I know what you're describing. Also on a touring, when I turn the wheel left or right at low speeds while parking sometimes I feel something through the it. I don't know how to describe it, it doesn't feel natural but it could be.

That sounds like it. I have felt it when parking too.

Can you switch your driving mode to ROLL and try it again? It's not through the steering, but are you sure it's not the brake hold activating prematurely? I also have a touring and have something similar, but I'm 100% sure my issue is due to the brake hold.

Can you switch your driving mode to ROLL and try it again? It's not through the steering, but are you sure it's not the brake hold activating prematurely? I also have a touring and have something similar, but I'm 100% sure my issue is due to the brake hold.
Interesting.. I couple of times I did equate it possibly to the Hold. I will try that. Thanks.

I'll add that I switch between ROLL and HOLD modes regularly. I usually use ROLL when I drive others, since it's smoother on a stop and go. I use HOLD when I'm alone in the car, and I've found the optimal minimum speed before the brake hold will start to bump. With some practice, I stay right above this speed when turning and parking - or use CREEP.

I'll add that I switch between ROLL and HOLD modes regularly. I usually use ROLL when I drive others, since it's smoother on a stop and go. I use HOLD when I'm alone in the car, and I've found the optimal minimum speed before the brake hold will start to bump. With some practice, I stay right above this speed when turning and parking - or use CREEP.

Interesting.. So I just took the car out quickly and went around a car park to try out. Firstly I felt it on my first turn out of my driveway. Weirdly I then didn't feel it again. I switched to Roll, and went around the car park like 20 times and couldn't reproduce the problem. But then again, I only felt it the first time. This has actually been my case. I've normally felt it a couple of times after initially driving, but then as I get further in to my journey I don't feel it again. Earlier today however when I went out I felt it every turn !! (although I will say that was a very short journey).

Right now, until proven otherwise, I'm going with the theory it's related to Hold. I will keep Roll on through the weekend and see if the problem appears.

Interesting.. So I just took the car out quickly and went around a car park to try out. Firstly I felt it on my first turn out of my driveway. Weirdly I then didn't feel it again. I switched to Roll, and went around the car park like 20 times and couldn't reproduce the problem. But then again, I only felt it the first time. This has actually been my case. I've normally felt it a couple of times after initially driving, but then as I get further in to my journey I don't feel it again. Earlier today however when I went out I felt it every turn !! (although I will say that was a very short journey).

Right now, until proven otherwise, I'm going with the theory it's related to Hold. I will keep Roll on through the weekend and see if the problem appears.
If you open your window can you hear anything? Like a clicking?

Update: went for another drive and was able to reproduce the feeling even with Hold off. So it’s not that. Not sure whether it’s more related to regenerative braking, I did also change it from High to standard earlier. It may be placebo but it may have been more pronounced with High. At this point I will monitor and will probably have Lucid check it out soon.

I also thought this time around, with my music off, that I could hear something when I felt the “click” or what ever it is through the steering. It seems to happen when I’m almost at full lock. But again I can’t reproduce it at a standstill just turning the steering left or right.

That sounds like an issue to me. Hold never stops me, my car slows down to 0 with regen before the brake kicks in.

Update: went for another drive and was able to reproduce the feeling even with Hold off. So it’s not that. Not sure whether it’s more related to regenerative braking, I did also change it from High to standard earlier. It may be placebo but it may have been more pronounced with High. At this point I will monitor and will probably have Lucid check it out soon.

I also thought this time around, with my music off, that I could hear something when I felt the “click” or what ever it is through the steering. It seems to happen when I’m almost at full lock. But again I can’t reproduce it at a standstill just turning the steering left or right.
If it's a click, then it's just one of the steering elements that needs lubrication

Starting to wonder if it’s related to the actual steering wheel. It has seemed wore when the vehicle is hot inside. Like some theses symptoms

I've noticed what I'll describe as a 'slip' but only at low speeds in parking lots with the wheel turned. I suspect it has something to do with extreme angle of the front wheels and painted lines on the road. I'll pay more attention to it, to determine if it is the 'inside wheel' slipping a bit on the painted surface.

Back