sport driving experience

BJR

Cars
Air GT, Audi RS4
I feel like I need an EV sport driving experience to more quickly adapt to less braking, more rheostat (as someone said) control. It just feels so different. The handling is great.

It's how it feels when you take your foot off of go, the regen braking feels so different than taking your foot off in a gasoline powered car. So brake before the turn, power into the turn feels different.

It's how it feels when you take your foot off of go, the regen braking feels so different than taking your foot off in a gasoline powered car. So brake before the turn, power into the turn feels different.
Yeah. It’s a whole re-learning. You get used to it after a while, but you learn to basically not touch your brake pedal at all. I exclusively use the accelerator pedal now, except for the few times where I need to short stop or make a maneuver.

The hard part is switching back and forth between the Lucid and my ICE car. The first time, every time, I forget my ICE car doesn’t have regen and inevitably slam on the brakes a couple times after I’ve forgotten it just coasts haha.

I've driving a Leaf for 4 years and would say that its the ICE which feels so different since it doesn't brake when you step off the gas pedal. The EV feels so normal now!

I imagine it depends on which gear you're in when you let off the throttle, but can someone compare it to engine braking in a manual transmission ICE car?

Yeah. It’s a whole re-learning. You get used to it after a while, but you learn to basically not touch your brake pedal at all. I exclusively use the accelerator pedal now, except for the few times where I need to short stop or make a maneuver.

The hard part is switching back and forth between the Lucid and my ICE car. The first time, every time, I forget my ICE car doesn’t have regen and inevitably slam on the brakes a couple times after I’ve forgotten it just coasts haha.
WOW, I SO did this yesterday! Took the C8 Corvette out and hadn't driven it in awhile. Let off the accelerator and waited.... it wasn't stopping!! :eek: ;) :)

I also kept thinking, "what the hell is all that noise!", not really, the Vette's sounds are really fun, for short periods of time only!

I wonder how the Stig set up the Air GT P, I’d think on a track some regen combined with friction brakes might allow a shorter time braking? You can’t turn regen off (or is the GT P going to allow no regen?). I know he did have some stability control on bases on the CarWow ride along, he made a good point that the fastest line is a straight one with as little wheels spinning as possible. The car beat every other production car, and an AMG GT track car went off the track, so it can’t just be raw speed/power. This car in sprint and Swift mode is absolutely nuts how planted it is in corners. Like you might feel mild roll or understeer but then you just point the wheel where you want it to go and it somehow goes exactly where you told it to go…without using the brake pedal.

I wonder how the Stig set up the Air GT P, I’d think on a track some regen combined with friction brakes might allow a shorter time braking? You can’t turn regen off (or is the GT P going to allow no regen?). I know he did have some stability control on bases on the CarWow ride along, he made a good point that the fastest line is a straight one with as little wheels spinning as possible. The car beat every other production car, and an AMG GT track car went off the track, so it can’t just be raw speed/power. This car in sprint and Swift mode is absolutely nuts how planted it is in corners. Like you might feel mild roll or understeer but then you just point the wheel where you want it to go and it somehow goes exactly where you told it to go…without using the brake pedal.
At what speeds, I want to try that but am afraid it would flip. The turning without using brakes is awesome. I just need to drive the car every day now and get used to it. Have not even tried swift or sprint modes yet. Roads in this town need replacement, and too damn many traffic lights. Don’t know,where the damn city is spending their money. Probably giving it all as tax breaks to Big Business.

WOW, I SO did this yesterday! Took the C8 Corvette out and hadn't driven it in awhile. Let off the accelerator and waited.... it wasn't stopping!! :eek: ;) :)

I also kept thinking, "what the hell is all that noise!", not really, the Vette's sounds are really fun, for short periods of time only!
I feel the same with my old Boxster. The ICE voom voom is one thing I’ll miss. Maybe Some after market parts can make engine sound simulator for Lucid. 😂

In crash testing the car was unflippable, like there was nothing that could put the Lucid on its roof.
Unless one goes too fast on mountain road, Lucid Air is just too heavy compare to many other cars out there.

Last edited:
If necessary you can download engine sound apps. off the Internet!😊
I hope Lucid is reading to this. A nice bell and whistle would be an app that put DolBy ATMOS in good use. Lamborghini, Ferrari, Bugati,…. A selectable drop down list to hear sounds and bass vibration. I’m sure Lucid will ran out of priority list and work on this til 2025. I will hold this car til that feature comes out. 😂

I finally got a chance to air our the Air today. 2,000 miles in and this has been my first opportunity to "visit my private road in Bolivia".
Definitely turn the regen to low (off would be better) to avoid messing up corner entry. Once settled into a turn the grip is amazing for a car of this weight.

At speed it takes a really firm press on the brake pedal to dump speed. Practice that. This takes some getting used to if you've only been one-pedal driving, but the brakes are good.
But less so at over 140. At that speed and above I got a real floaty feeling from the rear. Under hard braking at that pace it is worth being fully awake. I found myself wondering if I should put a wing on the back, but the trunk lid is only plastic, not strong enough. Would ruin that cool & casual look though 😉

I just can't get over that corner feel. I usually don't really enjoy pressing AWD cars, The Lucid is less of a balancing act, less twitchy, but the front really does pull you through the turn with only a gentle tendency to push at the limit of traction. Trail braking didn't feel right. The transition from brake to throttle is too harsh, upsets the car. Needs an easier tip-in and regen off setting. (Peter, you listening?)

I'm trying to get some solo track time to really wring it out. If something like that happens my French friend Ms. Chaussette Marionnette may post video of her car, risking her own warrantee.

..., I’d think on a track some regen combined with friction brakes might allow a shorter time braking? ...
On track you drive at the limit of traction. The brake pedal allows the driver to meter in controlled amounts of negative acceleration, especially important when trail braking into corners.
Regen adds an arbitrary amount of braking that varies with the battery's charge level and temperature. Repeatedly going full-regen dumps tons of current into the battery, adding heat. Besides, it feels weird.

Trust the brakes. They are not excessively boosted as some car makers do to make their brakes feel better than they are. That means braking hard from high speed takes a really firm but modulated push.

I finally got a chance to air our the Air today. 2,000 miles in and this has been my first opportunity to "visit my private road in Bolivia".
Definitely turn the regen to low (off would be better) to avoid messing up corner entry. Once settled into a turn the grip is amazing for a car of this weight.

At speed it takes a really firm press on the brake pedal to dump speed. Practice that. This takes some getting used to if you've only been one-pedal driving, but the brakes are good.
But less so at over 140. At that speed and above I got a real floaty feeling from the rear. Under hard braking at that pace it is worth being fully awake. I found myself wondering if I should put a wing on the back, but the trunk lid is only plastic, not strong enough. Would ruin that cool & casual look though 😉

I just can't get over that corner feel. I usually don't really enjoy pressing AWD cars, The Lucid is less of a balancing act, less twitchy, but the front really does pull you through the turn with only a gentle tendency to push at the limit of traction. Trail braking didn't feel right. The transition from brake to throttle is too harsh, upsets the car. Needs an easier tip-in and regen off setting. (Peter, you listening?)

I'm trying to get some solo track time to really wring it out. If something like that happens my French friend Ms. Chaussette Marionnette may post video of her car, risking her own warrantee.
I'm assuming this is in Sprint mode with the traction control set to the low setting? Also, where the hell is this so I can bring my car.

Back