Speedometer Inaccurate? +5 mph?

bryanackermann

Verified Owner
Supporting Member
Cars
2022 Air Grand Touring
Referral Code
QOUIH00M
I live in an area with a *lot* of "Your Speed = X mph" signs (which is good and bad :)), but I notice that they are always showing about 4-5 mph LESS than my GT's speedo. My other cars seem much closer to the sign's mph. Any ideas on what the cause may be before I call service? I have the 19inch wheels. Thank you in advance!

Whenever I drive past a speed detector display I too noticed exactly Lucid showing +2mph. So, I started using HA at 72mph when I wanted 70mph.
Ditto, thankfully it's +2mph rather than a percentage, so it's easy to compensate for.

Well I can report, based only on my limited experience using those street side, traffic calming, radar devices, .

I wouldn't trust the calibration on those devices.

According to the GPS in our radar detectors as well as roadside readouts:

Our Honda Odyssey is spot on.

Our Lucid has a variable variance that reaches 2mph low around 60-65mph but can get as high as 3mph off as speed climbs.

Our Tesla Model S Paid . . . same variance as the Lucid.

I've sometimes wondered if Tesla and Lucid don't do this to fudge the range numbers, as the car thinks it's covering more distance in a given time than it actually is, thus making range look higher.

Ditto, thankfully it's +2mph rather than a percentage, so it's easy to compensate for.
That is what I have always done. My BMWs always ran 2-3 miles faster than I was actually going. I believe in Germany if someone is caught speeding and the speedometer is at fault, there are penalties for the car manufacturer and no car company wants a customer cussing it out because he got a speeding ticket when the speedometer told him he was driving within the speed limit,

Back