1600 mile trip Review

I’m a new convert of the @borski climate hack. Just leave the car in climate keep mode whenever you exit. Like all the time, even if you’re not getting back into the car for hours. It does a fantastic job of keeping the cabin very comfortable and will use like 1% battery over 2+ hours. I did this today while taking my kid to a park and got back into a perfectly cool car even though it was hot as hell outside. I do not know how this would affect lifetime durability of the HVAC system, running it all the time, but this works much better than trying to remember conditioning on the app ahead of time or hitting max AC once you get in the car. I don’t think it stresses the system too much as I could barely hear the fan from the outside of the car before I got in, unlike when it’s 128F inside the car and you set the climate from the app 5 minutes before you get into the car.

Last edited:
Here’s my plan for tomorrow. After using the RangeXChange cable to charge my wife’s V60 Polestar wagon overnight using free electrons I got from the charger at work yesterday, I’ll plug into the work level 2 charger, set the car on climate keep, come back 8-10hrs later to a free 80% charge and perfectly comfortable car. Life is good as a Lucid owner.

I’m a new convert of the @borski climate hack. Just leave the car in climate keep mode whenever you exit. Like all the time, even if you’re not getting back into the car for hours. It does a fantastic job of keeping the cabin very comfortable and will use like 1% battery over 2+ hours. I did this today while taking my kid to a park and got back into a perfectly cool car even though it was hot as hell outside. I do not know how this would affect lifetime durability of the HVAC system, running it all the time, but this works much better than trying to remember conditioning on the app ahead of time or hitting max AC once you get in the car. I don’t think it stresses the system too much as I could barely hear the fan from the outside of the car before I got in, unlike when it’s 128F inside the car and you set the climate from the app 5 minutes before you get into the car.
I agree that the climate hold is a great feature. When it is 110 degrees out in Phoenix, it uses about 2% of the battery per hour to keep the car cool. It is well worth it.

Here’s my plan for tomorrow. After using the RangeXChange cable to charge my wife’s V60 Polestar wagon overnight using free electrons I got from the charger at work yesterday, I’ll plug into the work level 2 charger, set the car on climate keep, come back 8-10hrs later to a free 80% charge and perfectly comfortable car. Life is good as a Lucid owner.
It would be a great feature to be able to turn it on just once a day and have it stay on until the next day or if it's manually turned off, whichever comes first

We charged at Moab and showed 400+ miles for our remaining roughly 250-mile leg to Avon. We hit 4% about 20 miles out and we experience some real range anxiety, but we made it to EA charging station in Edwards with the car showing minus 11 miles remaining at arrival. Spouse was driving and did a superb job not killing me when we reached the charger. Not sure what precipitated the rapid drop but efficiency for that leg was only 3.2. Maybe altitude or the 80-85 mph she was driving.
All in all, Lucid is the ultimate tripper!!!!!
Did you use the in-car nav with Avon as the destination when you left Moab? If so, how much charge/range did it say would be left upon arrival when you started that leg? I'm trying to work out if the in-car nav takes into account elevation changes. As someone else pointed out, there's a significant change in elevation on that run.

? I'm trying to work out if the in-car nav takes into account elevation changes. As someone else pointed out, there's a significant change in elevation on that run.
I don't think it does. The miles remaining upon arrival seems to be fairly accurate for my trips with one exception.

During the winter I regularly drive from an EA station in Albany NY to a ski area in Vermont. The trip is about 170 miles. After charging I'll show 300 miles range. Entering my destination the car shows 60 mile remaining upon arrival. The navigation giving a better estimate than the car.

Most of the drive is flat. The last 10 miles has a ~1500 foot elevation gain. Before I start the climb I'll show ~75 miles of range (10 miles out means I should arrive with close to the 60 estimate). This will quickly drop until I arrive with 40 miles of range remaining.

interesting, so it adjusts for ambient temperature pretty well, but not elevation. My recollection was that elevation was not covered (requires a more detailed nav database), so that makes sense.

The miles remaining st destination using the navigation included elevation. It is very accurate for me driving between Phoenix (1200 ft) and Flagstaff (7500 ft). Elevation is an easy calculation to include.

The miles remaining st destination using the navigation included elevation. It is very accurate for me driving between Phoenix (1200 ft) and Flagstaff (7500 ft). Elevation is an easy calculation to include.
Darn it. Pragmatic's post above implies that it doesn't, unless there was something else that coincidentally affected the range just before the climb started. That, or the accounting for elevation is there, but not super accurate over short distances? Thoughts?

Darn it. Pragmatic's post above implies that it doesn't, unless there was something else that coincidentally affected the range just before the climb started. That, or the accounting for elevation is there, but not super accurate over short distances? Thoughts?

Could the range estimate be based on actual efficiency or closest rounded average for recent data? I have seen that number fluctuating based on how fast/slow I am driving. Besides the GPS related estimates, I think it adjusts real time if the actual efficiency numbers. At least based on my experience.

Did you use the in-car nav with Avon as the destination when you left Moab? If so, how much charge/range did it say would be left upon arrival when you started that leg? I'm trying to work out if the in-car nav takes into account elevation changes. As someone else pointed out, there's a significant change in elevation on that run.
I did use the in car nav and it originally indicated about 125 or so miles would be remaining upon arrival. I really did not think about it much since I thought we would have plenty of juice for just 245 miles. We did get stuck in a traffic jam for about an hour on I-70 around Glenwood Springs. I will be more vigilant about mileage in the future but I would believe eventually the in car nav will be smart enough to factor in all the variables. Makes me happy my grandson just achieved his computer science degree...programming is the future.

Back