Special TPMS?

AustinAir

Cars
Kia ev6
I recently bought some after market wheels and tires. Switching from 21” to 19”. I road trip a lot to FL and Houston / New Orleans have terrible roads not fit for the 21”.

After new wheel/ tire install… No TPMS warning light. Yet the pilot panel doesn’t show any PSI, just “—“

Discount tire days to drive on it continuously for 15 miles since the car has to “relearn”.

I called lucid customer care and they said that also “sounds right”

Does anyone know? It’s been day 2 and still no PSI or warning light

EDIT: the new wheels have new TPMS, as my original 21” factory wheels are going to a new home.

597CD3AF-37DA-4D12-BFDB-8EE75A0B409C.jpeg

I have 19 inch wheels on my car, but I also bought a set of 21 inch wheels. The 21" wheels have the OEM TPS sensors also. But the service center told me that I would have to bring the car in for them to have to reprogram it for the the new TMS sensors. They also need to reset some other stuff because the revolutions per mile or slightly different on the 21 inch tires. I have not them use the 21 inch yet, so I don’t have any direct experience.

Is resetting the TPMS something that can happen remotely or does it have to happen at a service center?

I've been battling this front as well...

The response to me was that they cannot do it via mobile visit or remotely. Special equipment is required. The sensors also cannot be programmed on a different set of 19" tires to then be put on yours (eg. purchase, ship, and someone else install). Special equipment is purportedly needed.

What I don't know is if you can swap back and forth without a service center visit (eg. 19" to 21" and vice versa) with already programmed sensors.

I'm not a car guy in the traditional sense (more into the electric cars and electrical systems), so I don't understand the challenges of handling TPMS sensors and/or requirements.

I noticed the tires are Michelins .. what model? .. I can't get CS to give me an answer regarding Michelin tires (except for the 20" Aero Lites)

Love the wheels too .. did u get any push back from Lucid regarding non-OEM wheels and tires?

When I switched to new 19" winter tires and rims (both non-OEM) and then back to the original 19"'s, Lucid needed to reset the TPMS via mobile service. No problem in both cases.

When I switched to new 19" winter tires and rims (both non-OEM) and then back to the original 19"'s, Lucid needed to reset the TPMS via mobile service. No problem in both cases.
Did you have to pay for mobile service? Feels like its not my fault that Lucid needs special equipment to do something that is fairly standard.. but who knows.

I noticed the tires are Michelins .. what model? .. I can't get CS to give me an answer regarding Michelin tires (except for the 20" Aero Lites)

Love the wheels too .. did u get any push back from Lucid regarding non-OEM wheels and tires?
I got the Michelin pro sport 19inch. Discount tire ran an analysis and these were properly weight rated and low rolling resistance to maximize range (supposedly). I havent had them long enough to see what kind of effect they have on mi/KwH just yet.

In terms of push back.. I didnt tell Lucid yet. I don't love the look of their 19" and frankly they're asking way too much for them. Plus, I would have to take it to Houston (my nearest service area) to get that installed. I will say I'm already realizing some small things with getting non OEM. For example, the front brake (calipers/ rotors?) are uncomfortably close to the rim.. Discount tire tells me that the lucid brakes are much larger than usual. Also, the pain in my side has been those small balancing weights. Given the gap between the rim and the brake, any looser balancing weights tend to hit the brake part and get nudged off the wheel. Might have to go back to discount tire yet again to get an opinion on that. I wonder if they can't just put the counter weight on the inside of the drum instead. Photo attached of wtf I'm referring to..

Attachments

• IMG_9796.jpg
    IMG_9796.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 109
Did you have to pay for mobile service? Feels like its not my fault that Lucid needs special equipment to do something that is fairly standard.. but who knows.

I got the Michelin pro sport 19inch. Discount tire ran an analysis and these were properly weight rated and low rolling resistance to maximize range (supposedly). I havent had them long enough to see what kind of effect they have on mi/KwH just yet.

In terms of push back.. I didnt tell Lucid yet. I don't love the look of their 19" and frankly they're asking way too much for them. Plus, I would have to take it to Houston (my nearest service area) to get that installed. I will say I'm already realizing some small things with getting non OEM. For example, the front brake (calipers/ rotors?) are uncomfortably close to the rim.. Discount tire tells me that the lucid brakes are much larger than usual. Also, the pain in my side has been those small balancing weights. Given the gap between the rim and the brake, any looser balancing weights tend to hit the brake part and get nudged off the wheel. Might have to go back to discount tire yet again to get an opinion on that. I wonder if they can't just put the counter weight on the inside of the drum instead. Photo attached of wtf I'm referring to..
The Discount Tires folks found it difficult to find a suitable 19" rim. I ordered a set only for the calibers to be an issue.

New Aero is supposed to have a compatible rim, but I've lost track now if it's the 3, Y, or S on the site... They are likely waiting for official confirmation t(being in Europe) to update the website with Lucid information and necessary hoops for certification. Those rims are about the same price as the Lucid, so it would be an aesthetic choice until numbers come out on efficiency differences.

There is a Classified thread with an individual selling 19" with winter tires at a decent combo price.

The Discount Tires folks found it difficult to find a suitable 19" rim. I ordered a set only for the calibers to be an issue.

New Aero is supposed to have a compatible rim, but I've lost track now if it's the 3, Y, or S on the site... They are likely waiting for official confirmation t(being in Europe) to update the website with Lucid information and necessary hoops for certification. Those rims are about the same price as the Lucid, so it would be an aesthetic choice until numbers come out on efficiency differences.

There is a Classified thread with an individual selling 19" with winter tires at a decent combo price.
Hmm how is it possible that my discount tire found a set? Do you believe I was given one that’s not compatible / suitable for my car?

Hmm how is it possible that my discount tire found a set? Do you believe I was given one that’s not compatible / suitable for my car?
Not a rim and tire expert, so I cannot speak on their judgement. I did turn down a few rims because of stylistic choices.

Everything else fit without issue on your rims (sensors, balance weights, calibers) without rubbing?

Not a tire guy, but the 19" rims for winter tires I got seemed fine, and there was no charge by Lucid for the TPMS calibration after the fact. Lucid did this in the winter (when other service was scheduled), and this spring, when I put the original 19" all season tires / rims back on. Not sure if there would be a charge if that's all I was asking for.

Not a rim and tire expert, so I cannot speak on their judgement. I did turn down a few rims because of stylistic choices.

Everything else fit without issue on your rims (sensors, balance weights, calibers) without rubbing?
Only thing that seemed to rub was a couple balance weights in one wheel that have since been knocked off. Car drives smooth so… 🤔

Yea, the OEM 19s are a tad expensive and don't look the best, but you know the saying about don't skimp on stuff that's between you and the floor. I thought 4200 for a new set of tires and rims was a good enough deal.

I have 19 inch wheels on my car, but I also bought a set of 21 inch wheels. The 21" wheels have the OEM TPS sensors also. But the service center told me that I would have to bring the car in for them to have to reprogram it for the the new TMS sensors. They also need to reset some other stuff because the revolutions per mile or slightly different on the 21 inch tires. I have not them use the 21 inch yet, so I don’t have any direct experience.
The TPMS is pretty old school tech, transmits just pressure at 433 mhtz, I believe. It does not transmit RPM; the ABS sensors do that. Yet each transmitter is coded and that code is entered into you car's cpu. So you don't pick up the wheel on the car next to you at the light. It's similar to pairing a Bluetooth device with a car.

HERE IS THE ISSUE BROUGHT UP BY OTHERS: Is it critical to do this? If you don't, you loose the loss of pressure warning system, which is only good for slow leaks. And your tire circumference may be a bit off, hence you mileage range speed calcs may be off. But the same size tire from different manufacturers vary. Conti and Michi and Pirellis of the same size marking are slightly different circumference. I think the standard OEM set circumstance on the Air is 27.7 or 27.9. The 21, 20 and 19 all have very similar but not exactly the same circumference. They appear to be with 3% difference, which for awd ICE cars is permissible.

So, if you use a 27.9 circumference set up, different wheel, tire and size, and no TPMS, no service calibration, will this be a problem? Other than no TPMS and accurate range and speedo.

Starting to get cold at night here in the Philadelphia suburbs, so watching temp forecasts and judging when it's time to swap in the original 19" A/S tires/wheels. I bought a set of factory 21" to use all summer, did not have TPMS reset and have lived with the warning light on the dash. I do a walk-around pre-flight anyway so no big deal, but wondering if it will "remember" when I put the original wheels back on?
Would be nice if it had an owner use "toggle" (after factory/service TPMS calibration) for those of us who use two sets of wheels and self-service the swaps?
Also, I'm reading contradicting counsel here (do/do not need special tool, do/do not need a service center, cost extra/ free;).
Also, you can do a Google and find the page where it lists the tire specs including the actual revolutions of the specific tire.
seen better ones (Tire Rack used to have a better one that has everything including weights, but can't find it now).
rpm even of same size tires differ
I've noticed the speedo reading about 2 mph lower with the 21" tires vs the 19" AS tires.

Well I'm due for annual service anyway...on my list is TMPS reset, aero wedgies falling off (need spares), wiper bolt re-torque, perhaps I'll ask about body panel mis-matches...

Our local service center is still an empty shell of a Toys R Us warehouse... still says "winter of 2023" on the website but no way it will be ready that soon. When I stop by to check on work days there is only one, sometimes two guys "working", nothing on weekends. A couple of times they even leave it unlocked, as there is nothing there / nothing to see. All I've seen in the past several months is a couple of metal studs added in the front of the warehouse...about two days work...oh and someone is cleaning up the trash and debris that is routinely dumped there, as it's a well-hidden location off the mall boulevard. I've seen the blueprints: it's a huge facility with lots of lift / service bays and charging bays...I wonder if sluggish sales have pushed the opening back, again?

Catch 22: we don't have enough sales to justify such an extravagant service center / we need a Philly suburban service center to promote sales and give people something to look at.

We're still on the flat part of the growth curve. Market for luxury cars is good in this area, so problem must be the market still doesn't get how awesome / different the Lucid is.

Last edited:
Doing my new 19" winter tires and wheels today - although it was 84 in Denver yesterday. Supposed to be in teens or lower in the CO mtns, where I will be next week. I did not do TMPS on the winter tires and will live with the warning light. I agree, a toggle like Merc has would be great.

IF your TMPS was set and reading fine by your car previously, it should pick them up as soon as the wheels are remounted and the TPMS start transmitting. No calibration needed. Only need calibration if you change out the TMPS devices. As you noted, our cars can only read one set of encoded TMPS's at a time.

IF your TMPS was set and reading fine by your car previously, it should pick them up as soon as the wheels are remounted and the TPMS start transmitting. No calibration needed.
Fantastic. Will confirm this today if I get around to swapping wheels. Probably will since I picked up my first screw when visiting construction site of our local SE PA service center in KoP mall.
PXL_20231024_142533766.jpg

I probably forgot to mark which corner each A/S wheel/tire goes. Will they adjust, or indicate the wrong position? I'm thinking I need to put on the entire set, and bleed some air out of one of the tires to identify it, drive to see where it is, then put it in the proper place, repeat. How long will that take? I'm an idiot. Maybe I'll be lucky and put them all in the correct location first time? It's gonna be a long day.
PXL_20231024_145411268.jpg

the culprit. drove home from the KoP service center (where I got screwed) about 10 miles. pressure is good so far but screw was in about 1 cm...don't trust it.

Thanks Pete.
PXL_20230321_162349481.jpg

proper storage: keep your rubbers covered.

Did my new winter tires just now. Boy are the 19" Michelin Pilot Alpin plush compared to the summer Pirelli 21s. Like slippers. And Amazon just delivered my tire bags.

Attachments

• PXL_20231025_013137962.jpg
    PXL_20231025_013137962.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 55
Back