Some Lucid App Questions...

One more thing... Many thanks to all of you who have shared your experience and suggestions. It's much appreciated!

I got my Air Pure AWD a month ago, and since then have struggled to understand a few things about the Lucid App. Perhaps some of you could shed some light...

I live in a high rise, and my car is parked two levels below grade in a parking structure. There are two wi-fi connections down there, which were primarily installed so that EVs can receive OTAs, and my car is set up with both. Of course, there is also the car's LTE SIM (or perhaps e'SIM) card, but I don't think there is any way for me to verify whether or not a LTE signal is being received down there.

Far more often than not, I am not able to wake the car using the app, whether I am in my unit on my own strong wi-fi, or elsewhere using my mobile phone's data connection. I have gone as long as 18 hours without being able to get it to connect. (On very rare occasions, I have received a 'vehicle is offline' notification.) At other times, it connects right away.

Sometimes, even when standing right by the car, with my phone connected to the same garage wi-fi, I am unable to connect.

Are connection issues such as this unusual? (BTW, I have tried deleting and reinstalling the app, to no avail.)

And a related question... I have auto open and auto close activated, and it works beautifully with my fob, but it has never worked with the app. Should that function work with the app, or is it just a fob thing?

I would like to be able to just use the app without having to carry the fob, but can't at this point.

Thanks in advance for any insight you can provide.
I also live in a high rise and have the same issue. Car doesn't wake unless there is also a strong cellular signal available. Appears the wake function goes via Lucid housed servers which wake the car over the cellular network. Once the car wakes then you can use the WiFi interface. When the car is actively charging it is awake and you can use the app over WiFi.

I also live in a high rise and have the same issue. Car doesn't wake unless there is also a strong cellular signal available. Appears the wake function goes via Lucid housed servers which wake the car over the cellular network. Once the car wakes then you can use the WiFi interface. When the car is actively charging it is awake and you can use the app over WiFi.
If this is true, it definitely explains some of the issues for me at home where there is little to no cell signal. I have to admit though, I see similar issues with my Model 3, where it seems to take a while to wake up and sometimes fails at my house.

If this is true, it definitely explains some of the issues for me at home where there is little to no cell signal. I have to admit though, I see similar issues with my Model 3, where it seems to take a while to wake up and sometimes fails at my house.
I learned about this via customer service. I was on the phone with a rep who was trying to connect to my car but couldn't get it to wake. He asked if the car was located near a cellular signal. That's when he told me the wake function always (only) goes through the cellular network not WiFi. So when the app initiates a connection it goes via Lucid servers. If the car is awake and connected to WiFi then the app is immediately connected to the car. If the car is not awake then a wake command is sent to the car over the cellular network. Apparently if the car is in sleep mode it drops the WiFi connection but continues to keep a cellular connection if one is available.

I learned about this via customer service. I was on the phone with a rep who was trying to connect to my car but couldn't get it to wake. He asked if the car was located near a cellular signal. That's when he told me the wake function always (only) goes through the cellular network not WiFi. So when the app initiates a connection it goes via Lucid servers. If the car is awake and connected to WiFi then the app is immediately connected to the car. If the car is not awake then a wake command is sent to the car over the cellular network. Apparently if the car is in sleep mode it drops the WiFi connection but continues to keep a cellular connection if one is available.
I believe this is correct. For waking the car. In my underground garage, I get pretty poor cell reception. It can take upwards of 30-seconds to a minute to wake the car with my phone. Sometimes it fails altogether. Regardless of the state of the WiFi connection.

For uploading and downloading data, such as statistical data Lucid collects about your driving, and software updates, etc. I believe that all can happen over WiFi. The car will stay awake to keep those connections alive. But that initial wake needs to happen over cellular. Which is why it can be so slow at times. Once the car is "up" all commands sent to it are almost instantaneous.

I get they are conserving battery by shutting down WiFi, but I feel like this was an unfortunate hardware design decision early on in the Air's development. I'm hoping Gravity will do this differently.

I believe this is correct. For waking the car. In my underground garage, I get pretty poor cell reception. It can take upwards of 30-seconds to a minute to wake the car with my phone. Sometimes it fails altogether. Regardless of the state of the WiFi connection.

For uploading and downloading data, such as statistical data Lucid collects about your driving, and software updates, etc. I believe that all can happen over WiFi. The car will stay awake to keep those connections alive. But that initial wake needs to happen over cellular. Which is why it can be so slow at times. Once the car is "up" all commands sent to it are almost instantaneous.

I get they are conserving battery by shutting down WiFi, but I feel like this was an unfortunate hardware design decision early on in the Air's development. I'm hoping Gravity will do this differently.
I don't think it is a hardware issue. More likely a software decision to conserve battery charge.

Happy to help.. Android 14 on Pixels doesn't appear to allow the app to always run..which is why I think Lucid introduced a persistent notification that requests users to keep the app open... the one thing that's been helping me keep my Pixel working as a decent fob is that I DO NOT swipe the notification away and just let it hang out in my notifications drawer. That seems to give me better operation but when I do swipe it away... it seems to me it takes longer for the Pixel to unlock the car by about 5 seconds... Another something I've had success doing is pushing the car handle in while waiting when the car doesn't auto-open

I don't think it is a hardware issue. More likely a software decision to conserve battery charge.
It’s hardware. Don’t ask me how I know. But it’s hardware.

Or more precisely, a software decision that was dictated by hardware.

Honestly, I wouldn’t rely on auto open to work very consistently unless you have the fob on you. There are many tricks to help get Auto Unlock to work but at the end of the day, on both iOS and android, you will have to pull the phone out of your pocket. Some have claimed it works flawless every time but I’ve tried every single trick with both my iPhone 15 pro and my pixel 7 pro. Both struggle to be consistent.

I have Android 14 running on my Pixel 7, and have granted all the requested permissions, including all notifications. I have also granted 'unrestricted' battery access within the app's settings, which allows it to run in the background. Looking at all the various app settings, there is no access stone left unturned. I did try having the car 'forget' my phone's bluetooth connection, and then reestablished it. While only time will tell, I was able to 'wake' the car twice without difficulty, but functions like the auto open/close functions still only work with the fob.
I can confirm mobile key on Pixel 7 works even without the app open or running in the background. The auto open is a little iffy but works 100% of the time if you push the handle in for me.

Only negative is that if you do have the app open or running in the background and it hits some idle period, the Pixel will try to kill some process that tries to force close the app so you get the reminder message about the mobile key works better with the app running everytime. I haven't used my FOB since the .47 update.

I finally did get auto open/close to work using only my mobile device. Turns out that I had to re-link my phone to the car via bluetooth. I'm not sure why, since it was already linked, but that solved the problem, as it seemed to think that it was linked to another device. Also, I think someone mentioned not knowing how to set a Pixel 7 on Android 14 to run in the background. To do it, you need to go to Settings. then Apps, then Lucid, then App Battery Usage, and finally select Unrestricted. Thanks, all!

1. On the Lucid Mobile app, can anyone explain to me how to effectively use the range spider setting? Is it just a way to show you how far the car can travel with it's current battery charge level or is there some other intended function?

2. Generally, on 21's, my car will show around 310 miles of range at 80%. It's been unseasonably warm here this last week and I was planning to head to EA last night to charge up. I preconditioned for about 10 minutes but abandoned EA when the app told me during the drive all chargers were in use. I ended up charging at home with a preconditioned battery. My range went up to 315 at 80%. Good luck or one time thing?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231230_100801_Lucid.webp
    Screenshot_20231230_100801_Lucid.webp
    127.4 KB · Views: 28
  • Screenshot_20231230_100822_Lucid.webp
    Screenshot_20231230_100822_Lucid.webp
    55.9 KB · Views: 30
1. On the Lucid Mobile app, can anyone explain to me how to effectively use the range spider setting? Is it just a way to show you how far the car can travel with it's current battery charge level or is there some other intended function?
That’s it. It’s just to tell you how far you can get without changing anything.

2. Generally, on 21's, my car will show around 310 miles of range at 80%. It's been unseasonably warm here this last week and I was planning to head to EA last night to charge up. I preconditioned for about 10 minutes but abandoned EA when the app told me during the drive all chargers were in use. I ended up charging at home with a preconditioned battery. My range went up to 315 at 80%. Good luck or one time thing?
Luck. The range calculation is imperfect at best, and it’s also possible that it charged to 80.3% instead of 80.0% or whatever.

Back