Software Version 2.8.7

At this point, it is baffling why ANYBODY in the software team still has a job. It is clear that nobody knows how write software for cars.
 
At this point, it is baffling why ANYBODY in the software team still has a job. It is clear that nobody knows how write software for cars.
In situations like this, it’s never usually the worker bee’s that are the problem.
 
In situations like this, it’s never usually the worker bee’s that are the problem.
I agree, but at this point the worker bees are used to an extremely flawed process and might be too damaged to be salvageable. It is clear though that EVERYBODY above senior developer has to go. Best way is to steal/buy a whole team from somewhere, but I don't know if there are any available.

I thought that the issue might be the legacy software and practices, but it seems that the Gravity firmware is not much better.
 
I agree, but at this point the worker bees are used to an extremely flawed process and might be too damaged to be salvageable. It is clear though that EVERYBODY above senior developer has to go. Best way is to steal/buy a whole team from somewhere, but I don't know if there are any available.
from the outside looking in, it’s hard to say what the real problem is. We can all speculate but unless Lucid tells us otherwise it’s just that, speculation.

Working for a software development company myself it’s certainly disheartening to see when people say “fire them all” when more times than not they’re following the guidance of leadership.

This isn’t sustainable for Lucid though, they need to get to the root of the actual problem (whatever it is) and fix it once and for all.
 
Really, report this to to NHTSA "if that's your jam"?

I'm the former Executive Director of NHTSA, and the agency absolutely wants to hear from vehicle owners if they think they have a safety problem with their vehicle. The agency can't make a decision as to whether a vehicle has a safety-related defect if they're totally unaware of a possible vehicle safety problem in the first place.

Nobody on this forum should be discouraging drivers from reporting an issue to NHTSA if that person has a safety concern about their vehicle.

And, assuming you're right that 2.8.7 is "a bad (and cancelled) update," Lucid needs to do some serious shaking up of their software team. As 2.8.4 was apparently also cancelled, this means two of the last three Air updates have not worked without introducing major issues. And both of these were significant updates that required almost two hours of installation time each. So, even though they weren't advertised as being "feature" updates, they still were time consuming for vehicle owners and, despite that, appear to be problem-filled.

Some people feel defects caused by software are not as serious as being caused by physical hardware.

If the dashboard display goes dark due to a disconnected wire, there wouldn't be any hesitation to notify customers of a voluntary repair.

However, if it's caused by a code in the software, there's some hesitation for customers/NHTSA notification due to ""if that's your jam."
 
at this point the worker bees are used to an extremely flawed process and might be too damaged to be salvageable. It is clear though that EVERYBODY above senior developer has to go.
IMG_2488.webp
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Software issues have resulted in safety recalls.

Again, people on this forum should not be discouraging drivers who have safety concerns about their vehicles from reporting their issues to NHTSA.

Software versus hardware is irrelevant.
 
Some people feel defects caused by software are not as serious as being caused by physical hardware.

If the dashboard display goes dark due to a disconnected wire, there wouldn't be any hesitation to notify customers of a voluntary repair.

However, if it's caused by a code in the software, there's some hesitation for customers/NHTSA notification due to ""if that's your jam."
Whether software related or not, to not be able to see the speedometer while driving is a safety issue and I was wondering how long it would be before NHTSA came into the discussion.

If you got pulled over for speeding and told the officer “sorry, I couldn’t see my speedometer because of a software issue” you probably wouldn’t be just slapped with a speeding ticket but the vehicle would also be deemed unroadworthy.

We can make all the excuses under the sun for Lucid but we shouldn’t defend issues like this nor should we just brush them off as “oh well, it is what it is”. This is a serious issue and as I’ve said before, Lucid is playing with fire when it comes to its software woes and needs to get a grip on the root of the problem fast!
 
from the outside looking in, it’s hard to say what the real problem is. We can all speculate but unless Lucid tells us otherwise it’s just that, speculation.

Working for a software development company myself it’s certainly disheartening to see when people say “fire them all” when more times than not they’re following the guidance of leadership.

This isn’t sustainable for Lucid though, they need to get to the root of the actual problem (whatever it is) and fix it once and for all.
I agree that we don't know what the real problem is. We know that it is persisting for way too long.

As I have said, sometimes the team's culture is too hard to change, and Lucid doesn't have the time to try again and again. They should hire a whole team that works well together and know what they are doing.
 
I agree that we don't know what the real problem is. We know that it is persisting for way too long.

As I have said, sometimes the team's culture is too hard to change, and Lucid doesn't have the time to try again and again. They should hire a whole team that works well together and know what they are doing.
Easier said than done
 
Easier said than done
True. But maybe easier than changing the culture of the current team. If Lucid is not paying enough, they won't get the competent developers. I have a guy on my team that interviewed at Lucid and chose a different company.
 
If it's any consolation, this is copy/paste Tesla in 2018. Down to the blank screen bug and a series of updates in rapid succession that made problems worse (including getting rid of all the bass on the sound system, which doesn't sound so bad except it would make a very loud "pop" just when it did this.

I don't want a single new feature at this point and I think the survey for new software / features should be split into bugs and enhancements. Right now they need to focus on chasing down bugs on both the Air and the Gravity, and once they get to a stable state, take a breath then start on some new features.

Mine is on 2.8.7 but is in the shop so I don't know how it's screen is doing, but I agree with the person above who said good hygiene is to reboot with a hard reboot after every update. I did that for 7 years with my Tesla and it helped a lot.
 
If it's any consolation, this is copy/paste Tesla in 2018. Down to the blank screen bug and a series of updates in rapid succession that made problems worse (including getting rid of all the bass on the sound system, which doesn't sound so bad except it would make a very loud "pop" just when it did this.

I don't want a single new feature at this point and I think the survey for new software / features should be split into bugs and enhancements. Right now they need to focus on chasing down bugs on both the Air and the Gravity, and once they get to a stable state, take a breath then start on some new features.

Mine is on 2.8.7 but is in the shop so I don't know how it's screen is doing, but I agree with the person above who said good hygiene is to reboot with a hard reboot after every update. I did that for 7 years with my Tesla and it helped a lot.
Hell I got the blank screen bug on my 23 Y Performance like 3 weeks ago 😂

Autopilot has had the wrong speed limit for my neighborhood (60mph in a 30!!) for two years. Apple Music used to sync great now it doesn’t. Why? Who knows.

These kind of software bugs are not endemic or unique to lucid. They aren’t even particularly dangerous. This is an industry where Honda and Toyota had claymores for airbags for a decade and. Nothing much happens to them.
 
If it's any consolation, this is copy/paste Tesla in 2018. Down to the blank screen bug and a series of updates in rapid succession that made problems worse (including getting rid of all the bass on the sound system, which doesn't sound so bad except it would make a very loud "pop" just when it did this.

I don't want a single new feature at this point and I think the survey for new software / features should be split into bugs and enhancements. Right now they need to focus on chasing down bugs on both the Air and the Gravity, and once they get to a stable state, take a breath then start on some new features.

Mine is on 2.8.7 but is in the shop so I don't know how it's screen is doing, but I agree with the person above who said good hygiene is to reboot with a hard reboot after every update. I did that for 7 years with my Tesla and it helped a lot.
I am almost absolutely positive that you can't do an update without rebooting the system. It is definitely much simpler than an update that DOESN'T reboot.

So the additional reboot is just a placebo.
 
For those that experience the driver’s screen going blank, Waze has a speedometer in the upper right of the UI. It’s small and inconvenient, but at least it’s something
 
Just to collect some data points,

1) Did anyone *without* DD pro experience this issue? If so, can you comment?
2) For folks facing this issue, does it reoccur after a reboot/reset?

I have DD premium and have not experienced this issue.
 
Just to collect some data points,

1) Did anyone *without* DD pro experience this issue? If so, can you comment?
2) For folks facing this issue, does it reoccur after a reboot/reset?

I have DD premium and have not experienced this issue.
Yes, my Pure AWD has base DD and I experienced the black screen issue.

It didn’t occur again but I didn’t drive my car that much since it happened
 
Back
Top