Snow tires for ski season

aarem

Cars
Air Grand Touring
Live in Denver and would like to take the lucid to the mountains for skiing but need full blown winter tires, not the all-season tires that come with the vehicle (19inch). Has anyone been able to find winter tires that meet the needed specs? I’ve tried Costco and Tires Plus but they say none of the winter tires are rated for the high load or speed?

I have another thread for this
Lucid offers the 19 inch wheels with Pirelli Sotto Zero 3 winter tires

I have another thread for this
Lucid offers the 19 inch wheels with Pirelli Sotto Zero 3 winter tires
Oh awesome can you link that thread here or how best to find? Do you purchase directly from lucid?

Oh awesome can you link that thread here or how best to find? Do you purchase directly from lucid?

Yes, purchased directly from Lucid

I ordered this setup from the TireRack.com they mounted and balanced the tires and installed the TPMS, I needed to have Lucid sync the TPMS sensors up with the car.
Since I had some outstanding service bulletins, Lucid did that for me, no charge while they checked the other stuff out.

1668920011045.png

I ordered this setup from the TireRack.com they mounted and balanced the tires and installed the TPMS, I needed to have Lucid sync the TPMS sensors up with the car.
Since I had some outstanding service bulletins, Lucid did that for me, no charge while they checked the other stuff out.

View attachment 6869
I have those tires on my current vehicle and while good, I wouldn't necessarily recommend for taking into the Rockies for a ski trip. They are what is referred to as "performance winter/snow" as opposed to "studless ice and snow". A quick search on Tire Rack shows the only studless tires in 245/45R19 are the Michelin X-ice snow, but those are rated very well.

I have those tires on my current vehicle and while good, I wouldn't necessarily recommend for taking into the Rockies for a ski trip. They are what is referred to as "performance winter/snow" as opposed to "studless ice and snow". A quick search on Tire Rack shows the only studless tires in 245/45R19 are the Michelin X-ice snow, but those are rated very well.
I have the Michelin x-ice snow and don’t like them at all. They feel very sloppy. When they wear out I’ll replace them with something else.

Remember, we only have approximately 3.5" to 5.0" road clearance, regardless of the tires. With more than 5" on the ground, snow tires will make our front end a plow! :)

Remember, we only have approximately 3.5" to 5.0" road clearance, regardless of the tires. With more than 5" on the ground, snow tires will make our front end a plow! :)
True, but winter tires are more than just for snow. They also help with ice, slush, etc. Plus, below about 45 degrees F, the grip of summer tires really starts to drop off and the compound in winter tires is considerably better at that temperature and below. So, even in dry, cold weather, winter tires are better than summer tires.

True, but winter tires are more than just for snow. They also help with ice, slush, etc. Plus, below about 45 degrees F, the grip of summer tires really starts to drop off and the compound in winter tires is considerably better at that temperature and below. So, even in dry, cold weather, winter tires are better than summer tires.
Agreed!

Bingo. I never felt the need for snow tires until I moved to Colorado. Believe me, it makes a huge difference. And as I've said many times, there are places here you simply aren't allowed to drive in the winter without them.

Curious. Has anyone in the group driven in the 19 all seasons in significant snow or ice? We had a couple pretty good storms about 2 weeks ago and the car seemed to handle it well. However, the snow didn’t stick around that long and I don’t really think I had enough time or data to reach any firm conclusions.
I plan on using the 19 all seasons throughout the winter, but I am concerned about icy days, especially given the car’s weight. About a week ago , the roads here were like a hockey rink and there were cars stranded everywhere. Didn’t use the Lucid on that day ( it was in the shop for PPF ). Even my Subaru struggled .
Anyway, would really love to learn other’s experience, if possible.

I had my first snow experience last month when we drove back from Santa Fe, and encountered a fair bit of snow pack on I-25. Car was only a few weeks old, and we had the standard 19" all-seasons. Overall, it was great- no slipping slopping, or sliding. I think the car's weight gives it a bunch of native stability, and didn't even see traction control being activated. Still... just started looking for a true snow tire - living in Colorado and hitting the mountains pretty regularly during ski season, a real snow tire does make a difference. Looking at the Blizzaks, and seeing if Costco can order them for me.

I had my first snow experience last month when we drove back from Santa Fe, and encountered a fair bit of snow pack on I-25. Car was only a few weeks old, and we had the standard 19" all-seasons. Overall, it was great- no slipping slopping, or sliding. I think the car's weight gives it a bunch of native stability, and didn't even see traction control being activated. Still... just started looking for a true snow tire - living in Colorado and hitting the mountains pretty regularly during ski season, a real snow tire does make a difference. Looking at the Blizzaks, and seeing if Costco can order them for me.
I’m in MInnesota & just after first big snowfall last week I thought all was well with the 19”’s…next day the ice made me reconsider. Ended up at Tire Rack with the near Lucid Perilli Sottozero’s (and happy)…see other thread here:

Are Blizzaks available for the Lucid?
I was under the impression ( likely false impression ) that only certain tires are recommended for use with the Air?

Last edited:
Live in Denver and would like to take the lucid to the mountains for skiing but need full blown winter tires, not the all-season tires that come with the vehicle (19inch). Has anyone been able to find winter tires that meet the needed specs? I’ve tried Costco and Tires Plus but they say none of the winter tires are rated for the high load or speed?
Tire rack has several XL rated tires. Based on personal experience, I'd go with either the Blizzaks or Michelin X-Ice although I've heard good things about the Vredesteins, also XL, and I may go with those.

There are very few tires that can handle the Lucid's weight. Don't just rely on size.

My understanding is that there is no all-season option for anything other than the 19s. Same goes for snow tires. I believe the Pirellis Lucid has had specially designed are the only option for winter / snow.

There are very few tires that can handle the Lucid's weight. Don't just rely on size.

My understanding is that there is no all-season option for anything other than the 19s. Same goes for snow tires. I believe the Pirellis Lucid has had specially designed are the only option for winter / snow.
I'm about to come out of a Mercedes GLS and I suspect it weighs as much or more than the Lucid. I used XL rated Blizzaks. When you go on the tire rack site and enter make model of car it only shows XL rated winter tires appropriate for our cars. My car is specked with 19" tires so I'm not sure about the larger wheels.

The 19” Perelli snow tires Lucid will sell you are proprietary to Lucid, though not all service centers apparently have them in stock or can outfit you (they need a tire van to come to you or you have to go to them). These are non run flat Sottozero’s. Tire Rack sells a near identical version of these Perelli’s (also called Sottozero’s 3’s) for the same price, and they will show up when you do your search for Lucid with a tag that identifies them as for Audi. Confusing at first, but all these car companies have some minor tweak they feel shows off their car best, though in the end it’s mostly a minor tweak to get an exclusive. I went with them on new rims by Sparko. Happy with the result.

Back