SiriusXM seemed to break internet connectivity... sorta

mraschko

Verified Owner
Cars
Air Touring; Audi Q7
Driving home today, I decided to switch from listening to Spotify to SiriusXM. The station wouldn't connect. Switching to another didn't work. Then, I switched to Tidal. Nope. During this, I was getting a no internet connection - which is odd since Spotify had just been working. I noticed that the signal strength indicator had no bars. After driving for 5 minutes or so (and confirm that FM radio reception isn't ideal either), the signal strength indicator came back with 5 bars. I switched to SiriusXM again and again got a no internet signal and after a few moments, the signal strength indicator went to no bars again. More FM radio. Then tried Spotify when the signal strength indicator came back. Nope. Drove the rest of the way home in silence. When I was almost home, I suddenly got a notification from Alexa. So, I guess connectivity was just fine but the media system just didn't think so.

If anyone else runs into this problem, a Bobby Reset fixes it. If I hit it again, I'm going to email customer care.

Driving home today, I decided to switch from listening to Spotify to SiriusXM. The station wouldn't connect. Switching to another didn't work. Then, I switched to Tidal. Nope. During this, I was getting a no internet connection - which is odd since Spotify had just been working. I noticed that the signal strength indicator had no bars. After driving for 5 minutes or so (and confirm that FM radio reception isn't ideal either), the signal strength indicator came back with 5 bars. I switched to SiriusXM again and again got a no internet signal and after a few moments, the signal strength indicator went to no bars again. More FM radio. Then tried Spotify when the signal strength indicator came back. Nope. Drove the rest of the way home in silence. When I was almost home, I suddenly got a notification from Alexa. So, I guess connectivity was just fine but the media system just didn't think so.

If anyone else runs into this problem, a Bobby Reset fixes it. If I hit it again, I'm going to email customer care.
I saw that problem on Tuesday...

If you can make this happen repeatedly, please report the bug to customer service.

Anyone know why SiriusXM occasionally is just "unavailable?" It appears as though the app in the car can't authenticate its license. This has happened to me three times, twice in the last week. It is super annoying because I need to reenter my station presets every time.

I use SiriusXM a lot because I've worked on every satellite in their fleet and have been a user since the constellation went live circa 2001.

PS-- what's a "bobby reset?" Is that the CTL-ALT-DEL (hit the two most right hand button on the steering wheel with the brake depressed)?

Bobby reset solves some minor problems, you just switch profiles to the guest profile and then back to your own. The logo reset is when you go in the settings and find the Air logo and press and hold it until the car fully resets. It seems that one is deeper.

I get the Sirius XM “service unavailable “ problem at least twice a week. And yes it wipes out the favorites. Actually happened last night and today. Air reset fixed it both times.

I get the Sirius XM “service unavailable “ problem at least twice a week. And yes it wipes out the favorites. Actually happened last night and today. Air reset fixed it both times.
It's still in "beta" so there will be issues. Works fine unless there is bad cell coverage but some days it just quits.

Ran into this issue today. No cellular connectivity. So no Spotify, Sirius, etc. AM/FM work. Works okay when wifi available. Tried switching profiles and logo reset. Neither worked. Called CS. Supposedly a tech will call me to schedule a service visit.

Ran into this issue today. No cellular connectivity. So no Spotify, Sirius, etc. AM/FM work. Works okay when wifi available. Tried switching profiles and logo reset. Neither worked. Called CS. Supposedly a tech will call me to schedule a service visit.
I've never seen it since. Thanks for reporting it.

Well, maybe I spoke too soon.

Yesterday I was listening to XM and was frustrated by how long it takes to reconnect when I leave my home. I decided to run an experiment to see if this was the wifi/cellular switch-over issue many complain of, so when I parked the car for the day I switched off wifi. Today when I went to run an errand, I had no connectivity. No bar. No XM. No Spotify. Nothing.

When I got to my destination, I tried a bobby reset and a logo reset. Neither helped. After driving home, I turned wifi back on (which took a long time to connect) and texted CS about my experience. They responded and had me do another reset, but no luck. No connectivity when I tunred off WiFi. Interestingly, they had told me ,while wifi was on, they were able to see a strong ATT signal. Ultimately, they said they will send mobile service.

Later, I had to run another errand and left wifi on thinking that maybe there was a new bug were turning off wifi would also disable cellular. No luck. Once out of wifi range, no more connectivity.

Unfortunately, CarPlay hasn't been working for me (open ticket with CS already) so I guess I'll be checking out bluetooth audio until CS gets to me.

Well, maybe I spoke too soon.

Yesterday I was listening to XM and was frustrated by how long it takes to reconnect when I leave my home. I decided to run an experiment to see if this was the wifi/cellular switch-over issue many complain of, so when I parked the car for the day I switched off wifi. Today when I went to run an errand, I had no connectivity. No bar. No XM. No Spotify. Nothing.

When I got to my destination, I tried a bobby reset and a logo reset. Neither helped. After driving home, I turned wifi back on (which took a long time to connect) and texted CS about my experience. They responded and had me do another reset, but no luck. No connectivity when I tunred off WiFi. Interestingly, they had told me ,while wifi was on, they were able to see a strong ATT signal. Ultimately, they said they will send mobile service.

Later, I had to run another errand and left wifi on thinking that maybe there was a new bug were turning off wifi would also disable cellular. No luck. Once out of wifi range, no more connectivity.

Unfortunately, CarPlay hasn't been working for me (open ticket with CS already) so I guess I'll be checking out bluetooth audio until CS gets to me.
What’s not working about CarPlay?

What’s not working about CarPlay?
I can see that it's connected - I get the CarPlay button, but when I press the button all I get is a blank screen. I can receive a text message and UI will pop up and read it to me, but I can't launch any apps via the car's screen.

I can see that it's connected - I get the CarPlay button, but when I press the button all I get is a blank screen. I can receive a text message and UI will pop up and read it to me, but I can't launch any apps via the car's screen.
Try, in order:
1. Hard restart the phone
2. Disable any VPN
3. Settings > Screen Time > Content & Privacy Restrictions, tap Allowed Apps and make sure that CarPlay is enabled.
4. Settings > General > CarPlay, tap your car, then tap Forget This Car. Then set up CarPlay again.

Try, in order:
1. Hard restart the phone
2. Disable any VPN
3. Settings > Screen Time > Content & Privacy Restrictions, tap Allowed Apps and make sure that CarPlay is enabled.
4. Settings > General > CarPlay, tap your car, then tap Forget This Car. Then set up CarPlay again.
Thanks, Bobby. That just might have fixed it.

I wasn't able to disable VPN as my employer puts security software on my phone that enforces VPN. I suspect the hard reset was the key. I didn't know about that one and had to look it up.

After setting up CarPlay, the UI appeared. I'll have to see if it lasts for a drive or two. Really appreciate the help!

CarPlay continued to work and, perplexingly, connectivity suddenly started working too. I guess it just needed a day off?

I have been having this sirusxm issue now for about a month. works fine in my garage and out the driveway and then says poor internet connection and stops working. carplay and spotify work fine. i called CS and they had me reset the infotainment system (pressing the Air logo until it shuts down). Did not fix. I texted CS and this person texted me that SiriusXM is in BETA and may not always work!!! i said i hadn't known it was BETA and that I had had no issues until last update. No answer other than it is in BETA and until it's not it may not work. Frustrating indeed. AGain, love the car, hate all these stupid issues. I had been wondering if anyone had been having the same problem and sorry to see there have been. ANyone else hearing this is a BETA issue?

Yeah, Sirius connectivity is spotty. ALso on occasion it simply loss all my presets.

I wonder why Lucid decided to stream Sirius. I worked on the satellite constellation of the fleet. It does work, so, why stream? So there isn't the shark fin antenna?

Back