SiriusXM Megathread

This thread is incredible helpful. I need Serius/XM because cellular is too unreliable. When I lived in Chevy Chase MD, I could not maintain a cell signal for a phone call wile driving from downtown DC to my house 1 mile outside of the city limits — 5 miles usually 2 drops, always at least one. I can literally remember the SOLE day in my 20 years of commuting that route that I had a continuous call all the way home. This spans literally dozens of phones and three separate carriers.

I now live in Utah and while I seem to have better cell coverage here, I have not yet driven the Lucid without at least one annoying drop outs of Tidal . . . in those instances where the drive was long enough to get tidal going in the first place.

@bhramabull, I’m going to get RoadyBT. Will report back.

Finally, I wonder if that Serius/XM market share of 12% is correct. I have a single SeriusXM account that covers the 6 of the 7 vehicles I own. (Until recently, my account covered 10 vehicles — the six I currently own as well as the last 4 I had sold — I forgot to deauthorize the vehicle upon sale. Their billing etc is so opaque it takes a concerted effort to figure out what you are paying and why . . . But that is another story.). I wonder whether SeriusXM counts me as 6 customers, rather than one, for purposes of market share.

This thread is incredible helpful. I need Serius/XM because cellular is too unreliable. When I lived in Chevy Chase MD, I could not maintain a cell signal for a phone call wile driving from downtown DC to my house 1 mile outside of the city limits — 5 miles usually 2 drops, always at least one. I can literally remember the SOLE day in my 20 years of commuting that route that I had a continuous call all the way home. This spans literally dozens of phones and three separate carriers.

I now live in Utah and while I seem to have better cell coverage here, I have not yet driven the Lucid without at least one annoying drop outs of Tidal . . . in those instances where the drive was long enough to get tidal going in the first place.

@bhramabull, I’m going to get RoadyBT. Will report back.

Finally, I wonder if that Serius/XM market share of 12% is correct. I have a single SeriusXM account that covers the 6 of the 7 vehicles I own. (Until recently, my account covered 10 vehicles — the six I currently own as well as the last 4 I had sold — I forgot to deauthorize the vehicle upon sale. Their billing etc is so opaque it takes a concerted effort to figure out what you are paying and why . . . But that is another story.). I wonder whether SeriusXM counts me as 6 customers, rather than one, for purposes of market share.
I’m not surprised at the 12% number for Sirius market share but that’s all comers. I would bet that the number is way higher than that once you hit the $80k threshold for car value.

Even the SiriusXM hardware can have blind spots. There are certain places where I was too close to some buildings or under a bridge/underpass and my signal dropped on my old car. Now I just hit dead spots in the cellular reception with the LUCID. Unfortunately, there is no magic bullet.
I have had far more cell network dropouts in the Lucid than SiriusXM dropouts in our other cars.

I drove to a neighboring county today, on a route that used to give me 100% Sirius coverage, but little cell reception for much of the way. I spent about 1 1/2 hours of the 3 hour round trip driving in silence because none of the music options in my GT worked. Not having Sirius is a total miss, especially when there are no other options for playing downloaded music. Even if we get a Sirius app and/or CarPlay, it’s not going to be a substitute and I’m convinced that Lucid is going to have to present a real solution to retrofit our cars with Sirius to keep much of the Lucid faithful on board.

The way they designed it may work for those who strictly drive in suburban and urban areas, but that does not include a lot of the country and driving for long periods of time with only one’s thoughts really sucks!

Air’s long range makes it a road trip car. SiriusXM is great companion for any road trip.
Exactly! Real miss not to include it.

Frankly, I never checked before I purchased. I just assumed Serius was a given for any newly built car. My understanding is that Serius gives away the antenna and software to car manufacturers so it would not have cost Lucid anything to integrate. Give away the razors in order to sell the razor blades is a model that works!

My radio is the Onyx Plus. I have it transmitting through the car speakers via a FM Transmitter I bought off Amazon. If I were do it again, I would simply bypass the Onyx Plus radio and buy their new offering - SiriusXM RoadyBT. Works over Bluetooth. Problem solved with trying to find a dang FM station that's not too staticky. I bought the Onyx Plus only to realize a month or so later that they introduced this Bluetooth radio.
This seems like a great idea. I’m not really clear how this works. Where do you place the radio?

I have had several Direct Message conversations regarding installation of XM on Lucid on this forum. Unfortunately, I don't know how to make the conversations public or let others join in.

I have attached some excerpts from the conversations which would be a good guide into installing an XM radio into a Lucid air:

I was going to post a more detailed description once I got everything cleaned up and tucked away, but I’ll try to answer your questions. This will also help me in my future post. Everything works currently, but there are some things that I want to improve on.

1) Did you do the satellite install yourself or did you use a vendor? I am installing a stealth radar/laser system and want to ask them about your SiriusXM approach, as well.
I installed this myself, having installed a similar systems on a Tesla Model 3 & Y.

2) How has this add-on held up for you so far? Any glitches?
It’s held up fine so far, but I’ve been only using it for a week. There really isn’t much to go wrong.

My main concern was getting a good satellite signal. I think Lucid has their antennas in the middle area by the windshield, but that area requires removing panels, which I didn't want to attempt – especially, if I find that the XM antenna will not fit there. I decided to mount it on the rear deck lid by the center speaker. It could go further back, but this area is convenient since I could tuck the cable out of the way.
ibb.co

XM-Antenna-Placement-Lucid-Rear-Deck-Lid

A "real" installer could get more creative. Also, if you want to hide the antenna completely, there is space under the rear deck lid, which is plastic or some composite material, which should not interfere with the signal. I have not done that yet, since my first goal was to see if this whole install was feasible at the minimum level.

3) Can't tell exactly, from the one picture you posted, how you placed the screen under/below the main Pilot Screen. Didn't seem like you had enough room with the Pilot Screen down.
This particular XM module (XM Commander Touch) is pretty compact. It consists of a small touch screen which you can see and then a tuner module, which I currently have placed in the rear of the deck lid, by the USB connectors. The screen has a cable coming out the side back (connecting to the tuner), which I tucked under the sliding mechanism of the deck lid. I secured the Commander with some 3M double sided clear removable tape. It does overhang a bit, but the deck could have closed completely, were it not for the Commander cable and the satellite cable. I have some other locations in mind for the Commander Screen module, but they would require running and hiding the cable.

4) Did you use a specific kit or product for the install? I know nothing about this stuff, but deeply lament Lucid's decision not to have included satellite reception. :-(
I pieced all the stuff together myself. Here is a list of items which I bought from Amazon:
  1. Serius XM Commander Touch. (https://amazon.com/gp/product/B016NXEBU2)
  2. USB mini hub to increase the number of USB ports, which are used to supply power. (https://amazon.com/gp/product/B09MYLZM2B)
  3. USB to 12V cigarette socket adapter. I cut off the the socket part and wired the 12V output to the XM commander. (https://amazon.com/gp/product/B07N1LZ693)
  4. FM modulator (USB powered). The XM Commander does have a FM antenna interrupter which can be wired inline with the Lucid antenna. But getting access to the antenna and getting a proper adapter is a pain. It would work great, since it blocks the FM signal and would cause minimal interference. (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B076X3GSMH)
As you can see from the above, I used an FM modulator and found a clear FM channel to broadcast the XM signal. It's really not that bad. But this part of the install is the part which needs improvement. I was going to use an Audio to Bluetooth transmitter. This was a big learning curve, since I couldn't get any of them to work with the Lucid Bluetooth Music input (I bought 6 of them - including a $50 AirFly). In short, I found that the Lucid does not support the Bluetooth Headset Profile (HSP), which most newer (USB powered) stereo line-in to Bluetooth devices use. I'm assuming now that Lucid supports only the A2DP profile, which phones use and who's music input works fine. So with that knowledge, I found several A2DP audio to Bluetooth devices on eBay. I should be getting one in the next few days and will hopefully have a bluetooth connection rather than a FM connection.

When I did this install on the Teslas, I actually used Bluetooth transmission. It's a Rube Goldberg solution, since Teslas don't have the Phone and Music separated out. The solution was to use my iPhone, but I would then need an audio to USB adapter. This adapter is then fed into the iPhone and then a free app (Microphone) is run on the iPhone which takes the digital audio input and switches it to the Tesla Bluetooth connection. This solution would also work with Lucid, but it's a bit of a pain, since you have to run the app each time you get into the car.

Pasted Graphic.jpg

Attachments

• 1666416137224.png
    1666416137224.png
    288.4 KB · Views: 94
I have had several Direct Message conversations regarding installation of XM on Lucid on this forum. Unfortunately, I don't know how to make the conversations public or let others join in.

I have attached some excerpts from the conversations which would be a good guide into installing an XM radio into a Lucid air:

I was going to post a more detailed description once I got everything cleaned up and tucked away, but I’ll try to answer your questions. This will also help me in my future post. Everything works currently, but there are some things that I want to improve on.

I installed this myself, having installed a similar systems on a Tesla Model 3 & Y.

It’s held up fine so far, but I’ve been only using it for a week. There really isn’t much to go wrong.

My main concern was getting a good satellite signal. I think Lucid has their antennas in the middle area by the windshield, but that area requires removing panels, which I didn't want to attempt – especially, if I find that the XM antenna will not fit there. I decided to mount it on the rear deck lid by the center speaker. It could go further back, but this area is convenient since I could tuck the cable out of the way.
ibb.co

A "real" installer could get more creative. Also, if you want to hide the antenna completely, there is space under the rear deck lid, which is plastic or some composite material, which should not interfere with the signal. I have not done that yet, since my first goal was to see if this whole install was feasible at the minimum level.

This particular XM module (XM Commander Touch) is pretty compact. It consists of a small touch screen which you can see and then a tuner module, which I currently have placed in the rear of the deck lid, by the USB connectors. The screen has a cable coming out the side back (connecting to the tuner), which I tucked under the sliding mechanism of the deck lid. I secured the Commander with some 3M double sided clear removable tape. It does overhang a bit, but the deck could have closed completely, were it not for the Commander cable and the satellite cable. I have some other locations in mind for the Commander Screen module, but they would require running and hiding the cable.

I pieced all the stuff together myself. Here is a list of items which I bought from Amazon:
  2. USB mini hub to increase the number of USB ports, which are used to supply power. (https://amazon.com/gp/product/B09MYLZM2B)
  3. USB to 12V cigarette socket adapter. I cut off the the socket part and wired the 12V output to the XM commander. (https://amazon.com/gp/product/B07N1LZ693)
  4. FM modulator (USB powered). The XM Commander does have a FM antenna interrupter which can be wired inline with the Lucid antenna. But getting access to the antenna and getting a proper adapter is a pain. It would work great, since it blocks the FM signal and would cause minimal interference. (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B076X3GSMH)
As you can see from the above, I used an FM modulator and found a clear FM channel to broadcast the XM signal. It's really not that bad. But this part of the install is the part which needs improvement. I was going to use an Audio to Bluetooth transmitter. This was a big learning curve, since I couldn't get any of them to work with the Lucid Bluetooth Music input (I bought 6 of them - including a $50 AirFly). In short, I found that the Lucid does not support the Bluetooth Headset Profile (HSP), which most newer (USB powered) stereo line-in to Bluetooth devices use. I'm assuming now that Lucid supports only the A2DP profile, which phones use and who's music input works fine. So with that knowledge, I found several A2DP audio to Bluetooth devices on eBay. I should be getting one in the next few days and will hopefully have a bluetooth connection rather than a FM connection.

When I did this install on the Teslas, I actually used Bluetooth transmission. It's a Rube Goldberg solution, since Teslas don't have the Phone and Music separated out. The solution was to use my iPhone, but I would then need an audio to USB adapter. This adapter is then fed into the iPhone and then a free app (Microphone) is run on the iPhone which takes the digital audio input and switches it to the Tesla Bluetooth connection. This solution would also work with Lucid, but it's a bit of a pain, since you have to run the app each time you get into the car.

View attachment 5783
Nice write up. I am planning on doing something similar and am glad to hear that the antenna position on the rear deck works. I was planning on getting the Bluetooth capable version, but I guess I may have to get the Bluetooth adapter/converter to get it to work with the lucid. This will save me lots of frustration when it doesn't work out of the box. I would have wasted a lot of time.

ibb.co

View attachment 5783
Truly appreciate your write up! You saved me a ton of grief finding out that the new Roadie BT may not work with blue tooth connection. I'm tempted to have one of my installer friends give this a try and see what creative solutions they can come up with for a clean and reasonably seamless install. I'll update if any creative solutions come up. Thanks again!

Nice write up. I am planning on doing something similar and am glad to hear that the antenna position on the rear deck works. I was planning on getting the Bluetooth capable version, but I guess I may have to get the Bluetooth adapter/converter to get it to work with the lucid. This will save me lots of frustration when it doesn't work out of the box. I would have wasted a lot of time.
I was never able to get any Bluetooth adapter to work. This is because the adapters all use HSP (head set profile) which Lucid does not support, even in UX 2. The Roady BT will presumably work, since it presents a different profile.

Truly appreciate your write up! You saved me a ton of grief finding out that the new Roadie BT may not work with blue tooth connection. I'm tempted to have one of my installer friends give this a try and see what creative solutions they can come up with for a clean and reasonably seamless install. I'll update if any creative solutions come up. Thanks again!
I’m not sure the Roady BT will not work. The separate BT adapters did not work because they use HSP. The Roady BT is specifically made to look like a car music source, so it probably uses the appropriate BT profile. The reason I shied away from that was due to its size. The XM Commander fits nicely as you can see from the picture.

The advantage of the Roady BT may be that you may get music cover art displayed by the Lucid, assuming it‘s transmitted. The Lucid UX v2 now displays BT music cover art.

even though it eventually got added to my P*2, I checked it out for a bit and went back to YouTube Music

This seems like a great idea. I’m not really clear how this works. Where do you place the radio?
Thanks @Alex for the wonderful right up. Also @Drendino I place the radio behind the tablet pilot panel in the cubby area. My only issue right now is trying to find the right kinda tape or double sided velcro to make the radio stick to the roof of the cubby. Keeps falling down no matter what I try (3M double sided etc etc). I wonder if there's a stick or something that I can rest at the bottom of the cubby that can hold up the radio to the roof of the cubby

Thanks @Alex for the wonderful right up. Also @Drendino I place the radio behind the tablet pilot panel in the cubby area. My only issue right now is trying to find the right kinda tape or double sided velcro to make the radio stick to the roof of the cubby. Keeps falling down no matter what I try (3M double sided etc etc). I wonder if there's a stick or something that I can rest at the bottom of the cubby that can hold up the radio to the roof of the cubby
Did you wind up using the remote control to change stations?

Just a small comment on XM Satellite radio: The antenna can be mounted out of sight. It does not need to been on the exterior. One place could be under the rear deck lid. The advantage of XM Satellite radio vs. other internet streaming services is that you get reception even when there is no internet available. That is the main reason for having it and that is my main motivating factor in wanting it.
I saw an XM satellite kit on Amazon. Is that what you are talking about?

My advice is to get a Tidal subscription and listen in hifi and Dolby. I was initially concerned about the lack of Sirius XM but I honestly do not miss it one bit.
The benefit is satellite. Not subject to no cell service.

I drove to a neighboring county today, on a route that used to give me 100% Sirius coverage, but little cell reception for much of the way. I spent about 1 1/2 hours of the 3 hour round trip driving in silence because none of the music options in my GT worked. Not having Sirius is a total miss, especially when there are no other options for playing downloaded music. Even if we get a Sirius app and/or CarPlay, it’s not going to be a substitute and I’m convinced that Lucid is going to have to present a real solution to retrofit our cars with Sirius to keep much of the Lucid faithful on board.

The way they designed it may work for those who strictly drive in suburban and urban areas, but that does not include a lot of the country and driving for long periods of time with only one’s thoughts really sucks!
Was that you I saw coming down mark west yesterday around 545??

Back