Sentry Mode

DougB

Verified Owner
Cars
Grand Touring Air Rawl
When will Lucid create and download a security system "Sentry Mode" that alerts (lights flash) and captures (video) a potential thief/vandal?

It’s a great feature for making you feel like you’ll be able to track down vandals. But in practice, the cops don’t care.

So you are basically handing over private recordings of yourself and family to immature, unethical employees at Tesla for nothing.

That’s a little unfair. It could possibly help in an accident to establish fault. But that’s a lot to give up for a small chance of a better insurance outcome. You are better off installing your own dash cam, which at least isn’t phoning your videos home to the
Sentry/dashcam mode is the most requested feature in @Bobby update tracker site. Never had a Tesla before and so not too familiar with the feature and personally don’t see a huge need. I would prefer the dashcam solution and not worry about the recordings being misused

Sentry & dash cam, still patiently waiting for these features...

You’re right. There’s no real downside, and I do hope Lucid adds it eventually. I just would caution against thinking it will be helpful in any vandalism or accident situation. You may get lucky and end up with footage that helps, though, so why not have it?

I also think Sentry is at least a slight deterrent to casual vandals. In fact, we may be benefiting on our Lucids even without it, as some may assume any modern electric car has it.

If there was one downside I found with my Tesla when I had Sentry, it was battery drain. On a day-to-day basis, it was no big deal. But once when I left the car at the airport for ten days while vacationing in Hawaii, I had to turn Sentry off, because it was draining 10-15 miles a day off my battery. And at that rate, I would not have been able to get home after the trip.

So when I needed Sentry the most (busy parking lot with a known history of issues for several days), I couldn’t use it.
To continue this conversation.

I think the great think about the Lucid is its huge range and battery, so I would be willing to risk the miles per day for the footage. And Lucid can definitely take the extra range hit and still be okay.

To continue this conversation.

I think the great think about the Lucid is its huge range and battery, so I would be willing to risk the miles per day for the footage. And Lucid can definitely take the extra range hit and still be okay.
100% this! I have the same thought. And I won't park my AT at airport for days. Just few hours of sentry when parked at the busy area won't hit the range much.

Back