RWD EV vs ICE on ice driving

ikonos

Cars
Enjoying AT
I was wondering if the on ice driving is going to be similar between a RWD ICE vs an RWD EV. Does the increased HP of an EV makes any difference? I have a RWD pure reservation and have been thinking about whether to upgrade to AWD version or go with Touring.

I was wondering if the on ice driving is going to be similar between a RWD ICE vs an RWD EV. Does the increased HP of an EV makes any difference? I have a RWD pure reservation and have been thinking about whether to upgrade to AWD version or go with Touring.
I don't have to worry about ice anymore but if I were still living in the northeast, I would want AWD. But I would have to remember that the principal benefit of AWD is getting the car moving. Once moving, on ice, you are still playing bumper cars.

My experience is if you are stuck in snow or mud awd or fwd has better chance of getting out. Rwd just spins the wheels and digs deeper.

Maybe you get a bit more traction from the EV as it will be heavier that the ICE car. Beyond that if live in a place with crappy weather and the car you are interested in can be had with AWD, why would you get the RWD version?

There is a difference in weight distribution between ICE and an EV. Since most ICE cars have front mounted engines even in RWD form, the rear wheels lack the benefit of the engine’s weight being over them. With the battery pack being the largest weight in the Air and with it situated in between the front and rear wheels, I would think the dynamic changes to a more equal impact upon traction.

Maybe you get a bit more traction from the EV as it will be heavier that the ICE car.
EVs tend to be heavier. So that means a little more weight on the tires and therefore more traction. But rolling resistance is big for range and many EV tires try and reduce rolling resistance by decreasing the contact patch. Better for range, worse for handling/traction.

EVs also have more low end torque which would make it easier to spin out. My old lexus had a snow mode that cut power to the wheels and started the car in 2nd gear to limit torque.

I think it’s hard to make a generalization.

When the opportunity arises I'm going to take my AGT to an empty snow filled parking lot to field test the dynamics of the car with various steering moves, decelaration, acceleration, panic braking, and of course for shits and giggles there will be donuts, and powerslides.

When the opportunity arises I'm going to take my AGT to an empty snow filled parking lot to field test the dynamics of the car with various steering moves, decelaration, acceleration, panic braking, and of course for shits and giggles there will be donuts, and powerslides.
I don't think it will snow in Chicago this winter because I bought winter tires. It will be 70 on Thursday (then drop into the 30s)

I don't think it will snow in Chicago this winter because I bought winter tires. It will be 70 on Thursday (then drop into the 30s)
It’s the only thing proven to stop snowfall. And the more expensive they are the less likely it will snow!

Some Yank had the audacity to say us Texans were dumb for not having Snow Tires. Bless their heart.​

We may not have as much experience as y'all Yanks when it comes to snow, but after tinkering with it a couple minutes I think all of us Texans can agree to try and make a tire out of snow is a pretty dumb idea.

We'll keep our tires made of rubber, thanks.

Back