Interesting article on EV satisfaction

scal_air

Referral code - ZQOO2D7O
Verified Owner
Supporting Member
Referral Code
ZQOO2D7O
Saw an article by Electrik regarding whether EV owners would buy another EV or go back to ICE/hybrids. They states half would go back. They don't go into the reasons but as a brand Tesla owners had a high rate of returning to EVs...I suspect the dissatisfaction comes from the state of charging stations and that Tesla owners are somewhat buffered from that. That and Tesla owners were early adopters, and more likely to choose EV vehicles regardless. To me, the results are encouraging but show that EVs need to improve.

What does the group think?

I’d be willing to bet the majority of those who would go back to ICE did not have charging set up at home. So they completely missed the biggest advantage of having an EV.

We need to do everything we can to make charging at home a priority in our infrastructure. Public charging stations should be used for road trips only for the vast majority of people. I realize that’s very hard for a lot of folks, but that’s why we need incentives. For apartment complex firms, new home building, and on and on.

Saw an article by Electrik regarding whether EV owners would buy another EV or go back to ICE/hybrids. They states half would go back. They don't go into the reasons but as a brand Tesla owners had a high rate of returning to EVs...I suspect the dissatisfaction comes from the state of charging stations and that Tesla owners are somewhat buffered from that. That and Tesla owners were early adopters, and more likely to choose EV vehicles regardless. To me, the results are encouraging but show that EVs need to improve.

What does the group think?

You can pry my charging cable from my cold dead hand.

It's funny when you read the comments in these articles, how many rabid anti-EV propaganda comments come out. It really made me think they are from a concerted anti-EV lobby by oil producers but then I remembered how many people enjoy "owning" people using made up facts these days...

Yes I agree that never having to go fill up at a gas station and enjoy the equivalent of $1 a gallon gas is a pretty good incentive for EVs. The infrastructure for charging stations needs to improve and it will over time. The extended ranges and decreased time of charging for the upcoming solid state batteries will hopefully accelerate sales and in turn, provide the incentive for a building a more robust network of chargers.

It's funny when you read the comments in these articles, how many rabid anti-EV propaganda comments come out. It really made me think they are from a concerted anti-EV lobby by oil producers but then I remembered how many people enjoy "owning" people using made up facts these days...

Yes I agree that never having to go fill up at a gas station and enjoy the equivalent of $1 a gallon gas is a pretty good incentive for EVs. The infrastructure for charging stations needs to improve and it will over time. The extended ranges and decreased time of charging for the upcoming solid state batteries will hopefully accelerate sales and in turn, provide the incentive for a building a more robust network of chargers.
Yeah, I’m just about ready to call bull$hit on this whole piece. Seems cherry-picked to serve a pre-conceived notion to me.

I’ve never met an EV owner who would ever switch back to ICE. And I know a lot of EV owners. Exactly where are they finding these people?

Why would they switch back to ICE? No reasons? Article doesn't make sense to me without more data.

New EV owner here straight from ICE to the best EV on the planet. I will NEVER go back to ICE. To be frank, I'm ready to get rid of our other two ICE cars. Owning this car has been a revelation. I can't believe how much time I've saved in just charging at home vs pumping gas to no time wasting maintenance whatsoever on my car.

Yeah, I’m just about ready to call bull$hit on this whole piece. Seems cherry-picked to serve a pre-conceived notion to me.

I’ve never met an EV owner who would ever switch back to ICE. And I know a lot of EV owners. Exactly where are they finding these people?

I actually know a few who switched back to ICE for a variety of reasons, with the most common being frustration with range and charging times while on the road. In my area I have not encountered anyone who is solely an EV owner , without an ICE car as a backup. It’s a matter of practicality for many, and where I live it is not currently practical to have only an EV. I hope that changes in the near future but I am not overly optimistic.

I actually know 2 families of all Tesla household whom got ICE bc they don’t want to stay in station on road-trip. It’s not range anxiety or charging anxiety, it’s they just don’t want to stop.
I can relate to them, the faster you drive Tesla, the more charging stops you have to go and make you scratching your head about EPA.

Anyway, I’m going to LA next week with Model-X Turo, going to try yoke steering wheel see if I will go back to round steering wheel.

Last edited:
I actually know 2 families of all Tesla household whom got ICE bc they don’t want to stay in station on road-trip. It’s not range anxiety or charging anxiety, it’s they just don’t want to stop.
I can relate to them, the faster you drive Tesla, the more charging stops you have to go and make you scratching your head about EPA.

Anyway, I’m going to LA next week with Model-X Turo, going to try yoke steering wheel see if I will go back to round steering wheel.
But on the same token, the faster one drives the ICE car, one needs to stop to refuel more often.

You will understand frustration if a 4 hrs drive becomes 7.5 hours bc multiple charging and waiting in line charging as oppose of ICE 5 min out of gas station. That is why I love my AGT.

You will understand frustration if a 4 hrs drive becomes 7.5 hours bc multiple charging and waiting in line charging as oppose of ICE 5 min out of gas station. That is why I love my AGT.
Waiting in line I could see being a big issue. I’ve never had to do that. Came close once. There was another station I could reach, so I just moved on to it. But I was pushing it. Got there with less than 10% range left.

And here is CNBC documentary video about EV purchases slowing down in the US.

Trust me, I have been on long trips when I used to own my Tesla MS 70D. It also didn't help that Tesla capped the max charging rate for older MS cars.

Trust me, I have been on long trips when I used to own my Tesla MS 70D. It also didn't help that Tesla capped the max charging rate for older MS cars.

Which is why I think Lucid Air is road tripping machine.

And here is CNBC documentary video about EV purchases slowing down in the US.

I had to stop watching about a minute in. Where do they find these customers to interview?

Also, using the testimony of car dealers as the crux of your story isn't exactly unbiased journalism. Gee, I wonder if traditional car salesfolk might have a vested interest in keeping the status quo?

The majority of EV sales at this point are going to Tesla, who has no dealerships. Did they interview anyone who works at at a Tesla showroom? No.

Also, EV sales were actually up in Q3. But why let that get in the way of a good hit piece?

I wouldn't go back to an ICE car, but I will admit that I do miss driving my friend's modded m5 competition from time to time, which sounded and drove like a ballistic missile.. But I'm biased because I would have tried to get that car if EVs had never existed.

Back