Speculation EV companies giving access to free ICE rentals for long distance

no gas

Supporting Member
Just had an idea. Perhaps this is something Lucid could be the first to initiate.

Imagine if EV only vehicle manufacturers ( meaning EV only- Tesla, Lucid, Rivian, Fisker etc) gave every buyer of an EV 5-10 days a year of free ICE SUV/minivan rental for longer trips. For example, Lucid could tie up with Enterprise. Anyone buying a new Lucid, will have access. Whenever customer prefers ICE for a long trip (considering the charging infrastructure is not adequate and could take another decade), they get the vehicle rental paid by Lucid.

This would entice more buyers to get an EV, knowing they can still go on the trip to Yellowstone and not have to worry about range anxiety.

I'm sure this would push more sales and could be temporary till sales significantly improve and charging infrastructure improves.

Just had an idea. Perhaps this is something Lucid could be the first to initiate.

Imagine if EV only vehicle manufacturers ( meaning EV only- Tesla, Lucid, Rivian, Fisker etc) gave every buyer of an EV 5-10 days a year of free ICE SUV/minivan rental for longer trips. For example, Lucid could tie up with Enterprise. Anyone buying a new Lucid, will have access. Whenever customer prefers ICE for a long trip (considering the charging infrastructure is not adequate and could take another decade), they get the vehicle rental paid by Lucid.

This would entice more buyers to get an EV, knowing they can still go on the trip to Yellowstone and not have to worry about range anxiety.

I'm sure this would push more sales and could be temporary till sales significantly improve and charging infrastructure improves.
Toyota does have a similar program with the Mirai, so there is definitely a way to make this work! I do think this would raise MSRP's up quite a bit, so maybe just make it a discounted rental price instead of free.

Didn't know that, perhaps Lucid can start that as well. And of course, a trade in program. That would definetly push more sales.
These programs was designed as a bait to address consumers who is buying an EV and have range anxiety.

Lucid, already have longest rated range, did include 3 years free charging at EA. I don't see the need to offering ICE cars as rental.

Furthermore, there are numerous forum members who have taken their Lucid on long distance trips and cross country trips. Obviously, range anxiety is not a concern.

These programs was designed as a bait to address consumers who is buying an EV and have range anxiety.

Lucid, already have longest rated range, did include 3 years free charging at EA. I don't see the need to offering ICE cars as rental.
But infrastructure is not there yet. The reason I kept my ICE SUV is to go on long trips up North. Charging anxiety is a real thing, even with a Lucid . Realistically, highway driving you get about 300-330 miles on a Pure. Not many can afford the GT. I'm sure having this program might sell a few more. Lucid needs every sale it can get.

Furthermore, there are numerous forum members who have taken their Lucid on long distance trips and cross country trips. Obviously, range anxiety is not a concern.
If EA works, but it doesn't all the time. And many dont want to wait 1 -2 hours charging on a 150KW charger every 3-4 hours. Or show up at a charger and it doesnt work and you are stuck. Or take a 1 hour diversion to get to a charger.

I'm taking about getting more sales for those on the fence.

If EA works, but it doesn't all the time. And many dont want to wait 1 -2 hours charging on a 150KW charger every 3-4 hours. Or show up at a charger and it doesnt work and you are stuck. Or take a 1 hour diversion to get to a charger.

Agreed. There aren't enough EA chargers & certainly not enough that work reliably.

...many dont want to wait 1 -2 hours charging on a 150KW charger every 3-4 hours...
A mid-trip road charge is typically 15-25 minutes. Nowhere near 1 to 2 hours.

A mid-trip road charge is typically 15-25 minutes. Nowhere near 1 to 2 hours.
In addition, I am a firm believer that we need more l2 chargers at hotels instead of l3 chargers.. they are far cheaper and have more use IMO.

I would think that shorter charging periods with more frequency at the “healthy” part of the charging curve(200-300) is the play to go, mainly because it leaves you with more break periods and not feeling you spent a year on the road, but the stops aren’t too long to annoy you.

I would think that most Lucid owners also have an ICE vehicle, so this proposal wouldn't be meaningful for Lucid. And what's Lucid going to offer as a rental in the ICE category? A DBX?

But infrastructure is not there yet. The reason I kept my ICE SUV is to go on long trips up North. Charging anxiety is a real thing, even with a Lucid . Realistically, highway driving you get about 300-330 miles on a Pure. Not many can afford the GT. I'm sure having this program might sell a few more. Lucid needs every sale it can get.
@HariK drove from the Bay Area to Montreal and back in his Pure....

@Tesla2.0 drove his GT from Texas to LV. Drove his Rivian from LA to Texas...

Since this thread involves discussion of a 15 minute charging stop, I vote we classify it as fantasy ;)
I have made many 15 minute charging stops. The only problem with doing it is where the chargers are relative to your route and panned stops. Doing a few 15 minute stops is not a fantasy.

It’s an interesting idea. We are an EV-exclusive household (Lucid and Rivian) and 99% of the time these vehicles suit our needs. In fact, we looked at the typical places we drive before committing to ditching our ICE vehicles. While it’s certainly possible to make road trips in a non-Tesla EV, it is undeniably more complex and time consuming when compared to an ICE vehicle. My thought was I’d rent an interesting ICE on Turo if a longer road trip were planned….so far, I haven’t had to.

I am a committed EV owner and will not ever purchase another ICE vehicle. But for long trips, until they improve the charging infrastructure, I plan on renting an ICE vehicle for such trips (driving from Scottsdale to Las Vegas/San Diego/Los Angeles takes about 5 hours or so without stops) for all the reasons stated by no gas. Lexus is already doing what was suggested:

Back