Robustness

It truly is a great time to be a computer/software nerd in the car world. I've had ICE trouble before, opened up my hood and pretended to know what I was doing. Here's how that goes: "hmm, nothing's smoking, no liquid is coming out. give up." Forget modding, I don't even know what I'm looking at. Doesn't matter if you give me a Model T or a Bugatti Veyron, the extent of what I can tell you is basically "dinosaur juice goes in, explosions happen, things turn."
Modern EV? DC (or AC) motors make sense! Electricity makes sense! I mean, electromagnetism is all magic, but it's magic with rules. Then there are all the computers - I can look at those and figure out what's going on. Then there's the software - if I can get my hands on it I can look at it and figure out what's going on.

Modding isn't going away, it's just changing.

Last edited:
It truly is a great time to be a computer/software nerd in the car world. I've had ICE trouble before, opened up my hood and pretended to know what I was doing. Here's how that goes: "hmm, nothing's smoking, no liquid is coming out. give up." Forget modding, I don't even know what I'm looking at. Doesn't matter if you give me a Model T or a Bugatti Veyron, the extent of what I can tell you is basically "dinosaur juice goes in, explosions happen, things turn."
Modern EV? DC motors make sense! Electricity makes sense! I mean, electromagnetism is all magic, but it's magic with rules. Then there are all the computers - I can look at those and figure out what's going on. Then there's the software - if I can get my hands on it I can look at it and figure out what's going on.

Modding isn't going away, it's just changing.
I'll agree with that in real life, but movies are a different story due to the fact that you usually want a more dramatic story. In terms of real life, it's just so satisfying when you put in the work to make a machine (the engine) make more power(in my case, i took a honda accord to 210 hp from 166. ridiculously hard lol), while for a EV, its more like "Oh yes, let me change some values on my computer!" Of course, there is some satisfaction to extracting everything you can from a computer(in my case again, i tinkered with clock levels, tdps, made a custom iso, and removed turbo boost through a "hacked" bios until it basically blew), but that still goes behind an engine. I'm usually a tech nerd, but for cars I would ideally want a balance between the two in terms of modding only, with a conventional engine that has an editable and advanced ECU. So far, that "golden" period started in about 2010 and ended in 2016-ish!

I'll agree with that in real life, but movies are a different story due to the fact that you usually want a more dramatic story. In terms of real life, it's just so satisfying when you put in the work to make a machine (the engine) make more power(in my case, i took a honda accord to 210 hp from 166. ridiculously hard lol), while for a EV, its more like "Oh yes, let me change some values on my computer!" Of course, there is some satisfaction to extracting everything you can from a computer(in my case again, i tinkered with clock levels, tdps, made a custom iso, and removed turbo boost through a "hacked" bios until it basically blew), but that still goes behind an engine. I'm usually a tech nerd, but for cars I would ideally want a balance between the two in terms of modding only, with a conventional engine that has an editable and advanced ECU. So far, that "golden" period started in about 2010 and ended in 2016-ish!
But there is still all kinds of mad science you can do at the physical level. Think of all the crazy stuff people do with gaming computers. An enthusiast will extract more performance than the manufacturer intended by adding liquid cooling and overclocking. Some crazy people add liquid nitrogen cooling or other wild stuff to push extremes. The same opportunities exist in EVs, we just haven't seen much of it yet. You can push Lucid motors to higher HP if you come up with a better way to cool them (and surrounding components). You probably have to rip apart the car to make room for your crazy cooling system, so you would end up with something appropriately FF looking.

You are not thinking nearly big enough. EV hacks have not even begun, much less reached their heyday.

Forget about what you think you’re “allowed” to touch and mess with. You bought the car. It’s yours. You can rip it apart and rebuild it entirely if you want.

But there is still all kinds of mad science you can do at the physical level. Think of all the crazy stuff people do with gaming computers. An enthusiast will extract more performance than the manufacturer intended by adding liquid cooling and overclocking. Some crazy people add liquid nitrogen cooling or other wild stuff to push extremes. The same opportunities exist in EVs, we just haven't seen much of it yet. You can push Lucid motors to higher HP if you come up with a better way to cool them (and surrounding components). You probably have to rip apart the car to make room for your crazy cooling system, so you would end up with something appropriately FF looking.
I do wish somebody did that, actually. My thinking was that if it's been 10 years with Tesla crate motors, then shouldnt there at least be some people out there willing to do this? I haven't seen anything that actually boosted hp in comparison to helping it keep peak hp for longer.

Also, as a pc nerd, I'll just note that liquid nitrogen is usually impractical for a daily PC. LC is the way to go for me!

I do wish somebody did that, actually. My thinking was that if it's been 10 years with Tesla crate motors, then shouldnt there at least be some people out there willing to do this? I haven't seen anything that actually boosted hp in comparison to helping it keep peak hp for longer.
No, because the vast majority of people on the planet think exactly like this. You can wait for someone else to do it, or you can be the first to do it.

It not having been done doesn’t meant it can’t or won’t be. Nobody modded the PS3 until someone did.

No, because the vast majority of people on the planet think exactly like this. You can wait for someone else to do it, or you can be the first to do it.

It not having been done doesn’t meant it can’t or won’t be.
True, although it requires big money to do these kinds of things!
Nobody modded the PS3 until someone did.
I'd say thats different, because the Cell had huge amounts of potential that wasn't being utilized properly. If it was the X360 for example, modding would be very hard (and useless, if you are emulating modern games), similarly to how MOST EV motors are at about 85 percent of their capacity, and without actual hardware mods, you would not be able to increase that capacity.

True, although it requires big money to do these kinds of things!
Wrong again. I know a guy in Ukraine who has bought a bunch of salvaged Lucids and shipped them into Ukraine in order to pull them apart and make FrankenLucids because he was curious. There is *plenty* of vulnerable surface area; you just have to have determination and curiosity.

I would not describe his living situation as one of “means,” especially right now.

You could, right now, buy a salvaged Lucid and rebuild it. That is also, incidentally, how you get started modding cars, too. I could never buy a Lamborghini as a kid, but I could absolutely buy a used or salvaged Civic or Supra and make it *mine*.

Make a Lucid *yours* :)

I'd say thats different, because the Cell had huge amounts of potential that wasn't being utilized properly. If it was the X360 for example, modding would be very hard (and useless, if you are emulating modern games), similarly to how MOST EV motors are at about 85 percent of their capacity, and without actual hardware mods, you would not be able to increase that capacity.

Again, you’re missing the point; it’s not about “how good can you make it” but about “oh, they said I shouldn’t? Now I have to”. Geohot is an old friend; he doesn’t hack as a means to an end. He hacks because he doesn’t know any other way to look at the world, same as me.

Also, you’re again being limited by what you’ve been told. It doesn’t matter if the motors are at 85% capacity. There is SO much to tune in software, and that’s before you get into making improvements to the hardware.

Peter, Emad, et al., are brilliant, but they aren’t gods. I guarantee you a smart 14 year old kid can build a better motor if they try hard enough and are determined enough, at least for them. I’m not saying it will scale, but it *doesn’t have to*; that is very much not the point. And, in fact, this is what bad companies are afraid of and good companies try to hire.

And the thing is, before you’ve gotten in, you have absolutely no idea what is or isn’t possible. You’re telling yourself it’s not worth it before you’ve even tried.

That, friend, is the point. Geohot wasn’t hacking the PS3 because he wanted to utilize the max power of the cell cluster. He was doing it because Sony told him he couldn’t. The end. Once he *got* there, then he found endless possibilities. Security intends to keep you out, but once you’re in companies generally don’t invest tons of money on defense in depth; perhaps they should, but boards don’t like money spent on “things that will probably never happen” when the existing security practice is “good enough.”

That’s why people like me and @segbrk will always have job security. :)

I don’t care what you’ve built or how you’ve built it. I guarantee you forgot something. And I guarantee I will not stop until I find it, if I’m curious enough. :)

I want to go out now and drive this car.

Someone ... give me a quest ...

... tell me there is espresso in Poughkeepsie that I must try.
I'll go one better. Go farther up 87 to Clifton Park and get you some Death Wish coffee

Wrong again. I know a guy in Ukraine who has bought a bunch of salvaged Lucids and shipped them into Ukraine in order to pull them apart and make FrankenLucids because he was curious. There is *plenty* of vulnerable surface area; you just have to have determination and curiosity.

I would not describe his living situation as one of “means,” especially right now.

You could, right now, buy a salvaged Lucid and rebuild it. That is also, incidentally, how you get started modding cars, too. I could never buy a Lamborghini as a kid, but I could absolutely buy a used or salvaged Civic or Supra and make it *mine*.

Make a Lucid *yours* :)
Expensive for me right now, I meant. Even those salvage Lucids are what, maybe 10k? Thats about twice my current net worth, and I have no intention of selling my stocks 🤣
Again, you’re missing the point; it’s not about “how good can you make it” but about “oh, they said I shouldn’t? Now I have to”. Geohot is an old friend; he doesn’t hack as a means to an end. He hacks because he doesn’t know any other way to look at the world, same as me.

Also, you’re again being limited by what you’ve been told. It doesn’t matter if the motors are at 85% capacity. There is SO much to tune in software, and that’s before you get into making improvements to the hardware.

Peter, Emad, et al., are brilliant, but they aren’t gods. I guarantee you a smart 14 year old kid can build a better motor if they try hard enough and are determined enough, at least for them. I’m not saying it will scale, but it *doesn’t have to*; that is very much not the point. And, in fact, this is what bad companies are afraid of and good companies try to hire.

And the thing is, before you’ve gotten in, you have absolutely no idea what is or isn’t possible. You’re telling yourself it’s not worth it before you’ve even tried.

That, friend, is the point. Geohot wasn’t hacking the PS3 because he wanted to utilize the max power of the cell cluster. He was doing it because Sony told him he couldn’t. The end. Once he *got* there, then he found endless possibilities. Security intends to keep you out, but once you’re in companies generally don’t invest tons of money on defense in depth; perhaps they should, but boards don’t like money spent on “things that will probably never happen” when the existing security practice is “good enough.”

That’s why people like me and @segbrk will always have job security. :)

I don’t care what you’ve built or how you’ve built it. I guarantee you forgot something. And I guarantee I will not stop until I find it, if I’m curious enough. :)
Also correct on all points. I actually am making my own motor, but its for a completely different purpose (a 52 kw motor, for a contraption i'm making which is essentially an enclosed go kart with doors and a roof). Also wait, isn't it kind of ironic to be old friends with Geohot when your profession is... stopping people like him?🤣 Then again, he founded comma.ai which isnt related to hacking and which I greatly admire.

Expensive for me right now, I meant. Even those salvage Lucids are what, maybe 10k?
Yeah, or $175 :)

Also wait, isn't it kind of ironic to be old friends with Geohot when your profession is... stopping people like him?🤣
I never said I played defense. I have relatively low interest in building tools to catch attackers; Tinfoil was focused on attacking software, but for the companies building that software. I don’t like to be the cat in the cat and mouse game; I’d much rather be the much more wily and flexible mouse.

I only have to win once. People playing defense have to win every time; that’s an impossible task, because of people like me (and others). I find offense much more fun.

But I’m really glad people exist that enjoy playing defense.

Last edited:
Wtf.. isn't that only the non-final bid though? If it was actually 175, I'd probably just buy one for some room decor 🤣
I never said I played defense. I have relatively low interest in building tools to catch attackers; Tinfoil was focused on attacking software, but for the companies building that software. I don’t like to be the cat in the cat and mouse game; I’d much rather be the much more wily and flexible mouse.

I only have to win once. People playing defense have to win every time; that’s an impossible task, because of people like me (and others). I find offense much more fun.

But I’m really glad people exist that enjoy playing defense.
Interesting, and thanks for the correction! I'd agree with you that being on offense is more fun, because theres just more action and its (more) fun!

Wtf.. isn't that only the non-final bid though? If it was actually 175, I'd probably just buy one for some room decor 🤣
The catch is you have to get a trailer to pick it up and deliver it... somewhere. Hopefully you have an empty space in your garage.

Sure, for now. But good deals can be found - seek out the opportunities and seize them if you want (and have the space and desire).

I’ve seen them go for <1k before.

Back