Robustness

Amster

Verified Owner
Cars
ZR Grand Touring
Referral Code
U9GRC6K9
I don't know if it's just me, but I can no longer read or hear the word robust without thinking of Lucid. Even when it has absolutely nothing to do with the car. Like this poster that I read at a museum today.

Attachments

• Cheech robust.png
    Cheech robust.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 73
seriously

it used to bring to mind the terrible, acidic, bitter coffee that Starbucks uses for their coffee milkshakes (lattes cover up the bad coffee).

seriously

it used to bring to mind the terrible, acidic, bitter coffee that Starbucks uses for their coffee milkshakes (lattes cover up the bad coffee).
You mean the frappuccinos? I think I always add sugar to them, so I never noticed.

You mean the frappuccinos? I think I always add sugar to them, so I never noticed.
I'm sorry for hijacking the robustness of this thread, but you should try real coffee some day....Peet's. I love the Aribica beans...Kenya AA and Ethiopian ... once you develop a "taste" for this milder, less acidic, tea-like coffee you will never adulterate coffee with ANY additives. If your coffee needs sugar / cream you aren't brewing it correctly. Even the Robusta bean is fantastic (but entirely different from Aribica) when correctly brewed.

I finally got the wife (Berkeley grad, Peet's home turf) to drink coffee "black". First I got her to skip the cream, then eventually the sugar. Her problem was she never tasted coffee before: she had the coffee/water ratio all wrong, and did not respect the bloom or use the correct pour-over technique, and used unwashed paper filters. The correct ratio of coffee to water, and the care you take in the pour-over (I use a stainless-steel filter cone, and take a few minutes doing it, allowing the "bloom"... a French Press is also acceptable), result in a coffee so tasty, so complex, it forces you to stop what you are doing and focus full attention on how great life is. The Kenya AA has a chocolate note...and a creamy tone...and layer upon layer of flavors.
If you brew it right
it tastes like you put cream and sugar in it. ?? !! The Ethiopian is more floral and tea-like. I switch between them, and get the limited editions any time Peet's offers them.

We've been doing this for decades and still, nearly every morning, ask each other, "How's your coffee today?". Every. Morning.
We have it flown in from the Left Coast (Taylor Swift would approve), fresh roasted and custom ground, about every 3 weeks.
Sinfully good.

Oh, I hear the kettle, she's going for a second cup! Me too!

The Robusta bean, stronger in flavor, is more suited to adulteration, which is fine for Starbucks, the SUV of coffee (who learned this business from Peet's). In my opnion they don't even sell "coffee ". I went in there and asked for a small cup of Aribica and they gave me an argument.
I've never gone back. I just want to make a point that Starbucks coffee, the SUV of coffee, is like "lite" bier:..
... for people who can't deal with subtlety, complexity, and don't value what little time they have left.

However...I do recommend, for those times when you need entertainment coffee (like urn quantities) a box of Drunken Donuts coffee. They use Robusta beans, brewed correctly, and their coffee is quite good: fresh, and robust. So well- brewed, I drink it. Great with cream/sugar too.

For those visiting Philly, try our local roaster: La Colombe

If you are a proper coffee snob:
go to the end of Jeweler's row in Old City and look for a corner shop called, "THANK YOU THANK YOU".
I'll be there today (or pretty much every First Day), after Quaker meeting...I'll be the old guy doing the crossword puzzle in the
Inky ... who stops after every sip, looks up, smiles, and just seems happy to be alive. Sometimes I forget and say, "Good God that's great coffee!"
after the first sip.
If your coffee doesn't make you do that, you're doing it wrong.
...there is no cream, no sugar. Very expensive. Worth it.

Bringing it back home: yes, me too. I get triggered (smile inside) every time I hear / see ROBUST

(Lucid, you found another way to make the world stop and smell the coffee. Thank You! What a great company.)

Last edited:
I'm sorry for hijacking the robustness of this thread, but you should try real coffee some day....Peet's. I love the Aribica beans...Kenya AA and Ethiopian ... once you develop a "taste" for this milder, less acidic, tea-like coffee you will never adulterate coffee with ANY additives. If your coffee needs sugar / cream you aren't brewing it correctly. Even the Robusta bean is fantastic (but entirely different from Aribica) when correctly brewed.

I finally got the wife (Berkeley grad, Peet's home turf) to drink coffee "black". First I got her to skip the cream, then eventually the sugar. Her problem was she never tasted coffee before: she had the coffee/water ratio all wrong, and did not respect the bloom or use the correct pour-over technique, and used unwashed paper filters. The correct ratio of coffee to water, and the care you take in the pour-over (I use a stainless-steel filter cone, and take a few minutes doing it, allowing the "bloom"... a French Press is also acceptable), result in a coffee so tasty, so complex, it forces you to stop what you are doing and focus full attention on how great life is. The Kenya AA has a chocolate note...and a creamy tone...and layer upon layer of flavors.
If you brew it right
it tastes like you put cream and sugar in it. ?? !! The Ethiopian is more floral and tea-like. I switch between them, and get the limited editions any time Peet's offers them.

We've been doing this for decades and still, nearly every morning, ask each other, "How's your coffee today?". Every. Morning.
We have it flown in from the Left Coast (Taylor Swift would approve), fresh roasted and custom ground, about every 3 weeks.
Sinfully good.

Oh, I hear the kettle, she's going for a second cup! Me too!

The Robusta bean, stronger in flavor, is more suited to adulteration, which is fine for Starbucks, the SUV of coffee (who learned this business from Peet's). In my opnion they don't even sell "coffee ". I went in there and asked for a small cup of Aribica and they gave me an argument.
I've never gone back. I just want to make a point that Starbucks coffee, the SUV of coffee, is like "lite" bier:..
... for people who can't deal with subtlety, complexity, and don't value what little time they have left.

However...I do recommend, for those times when you need entertainment coffee (like urn quantities) a box of Drunken Donuts coffee. They use Robusta beans, brewed correctly, and their coffee is quite good: fresh, and robust. So well- brewed, I drink it. Great with cream/sugar too.

For those visiting Philly, try our local roaster: La Colombe

If you are a proper coffee snob:
go to the end of Jeweler's row in Old City and look for a corner shop called, "THANK YOU THANK YOU".
I'll be there today (or pretty much every First Day), after Quaker meeting...I'll be the old guy doing the crossword puzzle in the
Inky ... who stops after every sip, looks up, smiles, and just seems happy to be alive. Sometimes I forget and say, "Good God that's great coffee!"
after the first sip.
If your coffee doesn't make you do that, you're doing it wrong.
...there is no cream, no sugar. Very expensive. Worth it.

Bringing it back home: yes, me too. I get triggered (smile inside) every time I hear / see ROBUST

(Lucid, you found another way to make the world stop and smell the coffee. Thank You! What a great company.)
@Cosmo Cruz, your post is, as always, really interesting. There is actually a La Colombe shop in the mall here in San Diego, maybe ten doors away from the Lucid studio. Next time I'm down there, I will stop in and try it.

For me, add “harmonized” to that list of Lucid words 🤣 (people who own silvers and greys from 22 should get this)

@Cosmo Cruz, your post is, as always, really interesting. There is actually a La Colombe shop in the mall here in San Diego, maybe ten doors away from the Lucid studio. Next time I'm down there, I will stop in and try it.

Their espresso is really good. I drink coffee at home and espresso when I'm out ... exception is THANK YOU THANK YOU. Exceptionally good coffee.

I recently got into coffee and espresso during the pandemic, and great coffee makes such a huge difference. I got into the art of perfecting the perfect espresso shot, have a lot of fun dialing it in, and so on - but my wife just wants to hit a button and enjoy her coffee, so I have an Oxo brewer for that, but also make sure I get good coffee and grind it myself. :)

I want to go out now and drive this car.

Someone ... give me a quest ...

... tell me there is espresso in Poughkeepsie that I must try.

I want to go out now and drive this car.

Someone ... give me a quest ...

... tell me there is espresso in Poughkeepsie that I must try.
Theres a espresso I hear is nice in Poughkeepsie, go there in your Lucid and try it! ;)

I just love this car. I confess to spending hours looking at it...mostly from the front.

I confess I have spent only a few minutes in swift mode

... and none at all in Sprint mode,

Yes, I covet and desire a Sapphire. I don't know why, I just do.

I just love this car. I confess to spending hours looking at it...mostly from the front.

I’m going to have to turn you over to the cops for that… 🤣

Says the guy who wanted his car to be more incognito 🤣 I’m here to be a bad influence and say get the Sapphire. Then I’d like you to pick me up for coffee. Please and thank you.

Says the guy who wanted his car to be more incognito 🤣 I’m here to be a bad influence and say get the Sapphire. Then I’d like you to pick me up for coffee. Please and thank you.
I'll bring my DE and we can race for pink slips

oh my god can we please have a fast and the furious EV edition

think of the saved eardrums
As much as I love evs, that would be the worst movie ever created 🤣

The modifications would probably be something like “Yo Dom, can we get those rocket thrusters installed?” instead of NOS.

Instead of a 10 second car, it would be “You owe me a 8 second car”
Getting the coffee is useless, because one launch and it’s all over the carpets!

Last edited:
As much as I love evs, that would be the worst movie ever created 🤣
If in the classic sense, sure, I agree.

The modifications would probably be something like “Yo Dom, can we get those rocket thrusters installed?” instead of NOS.

Instead of a 10 second car, it would be “You owe me a 8 second car”

C’mon kid, you’re supposed to have more of an imagination than that. Imagine Fast and the Furious x Swordfish x Hackers. The mods are hardware and software mods, hacking the crap out of your own car and the other cars you’re racing, and yes, rockets.

I dno, I love ICE cars, but something about racing an EV and hearing massive tire squeal on its own would be amazing. Especially since none of the cars would be stock - so they’d be lowered, maybe even made into convertibles, or choppers. Imagine a bunch of motorcycles with a lucid motor lol

I dno, there’s something there

Getting the coffee is useless, because one launch and it’s all over the carpets!
Or one launch and it gets inhaled directly lol

C’mon kid, you’re supposed to have more of an imagination than that. Imagine Fast and the Furious x Swordfish x Hackers. The mods are hardware and software mods, hacking the crap out of your own car and the other cars you’re racing, and yes, rockets.
Believe me, I've thought of that. Maybe I'm just too accustomed to manufacturers increasingly locking their cars down, with even ICE's having locked ICUs. That would be a very fun movie, but I guess I've been "traumatized" into thinking that its basically IMPOSSIBLE in today's times. Very sad for me, as all this is happening right before I get a license. Even in Forza, the new EVs are locked down in terms of customization and tuning (you can swap a 2jz in a lambo for some reason, but you cant do a motor swap for the Lucid). If they did turn F&F from "realistic" fiction to slightly less realistic fiction, that would actually be a GREAT movie!
I dno, I love ICE cars, but something about racing an EV and hearing massive tire squeal on its own would be amazing. Especially since none of the cars would be stock - so they’d be lowered, maybe even made into convertibles, or choppers. Imagine a bunch of motorcycles with a lucid motor lol
Could work, but instead of it being like "I'm swapping the K24 for a F154" it would be "I'm swapping this tesla crap for the Lucid motor." True, its a mod with performance enhancing capabilities, but from the outside, there would be literally no difference in terms of anything.

Believe me, I've thought of that. Maybe I'm just too accustomed to manufacturers increasingly locking their cars down, with even ICE's having locked ICUs. That would be a very fun movie, but I guess I've been "traumatized" into thinking that it’s basically IMPOSSIBLE in today's times.
You’re wrong; it’s not as easy as it once was, but security is *always* a cat and mouse game. For every wall, there is a sledgehammer that you (or someone else) will eventually find.

DEP? No problem, we’ll just ret2libc.

ASLR? No problem, we’ll just ROP chain into one of the non-ASLR’d modules, or JIT/NOP spray, or find an address leak…

Hell, even just reversing the mobile API for Lucid was a pain, because protobuf/grpc doesn’t respect system proxies, so we couldn’t just trivially capture traffic.

The point is, if you can pull apart the software/hardware and are determined enough, and simply *refuse to be beat*, anything is vulnerable. Let that help you sleep better at night. :)

@segbrk back me up

(Yes, there are ways to build systems with “perfect security” provably, but those are generally very very limited in functionality, and thus are mostly useful only as proofs of concept)

Back